This is just too stressful

Options
2»

Replies

• Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    no! i will not say that! i will say that peoples opinions are a pain in the *kitten* soo f them! do it for you and dont worry bout the bull! do you!!! and good luck ;p
  • tanniew78
    tanniew78 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you truly want help that doesnt involve counting every little thing, here are some simple rules and tips.

Use smaller plates for your food.
    Use the 1/4, 1/4, 1/2 method. Thats 1/4 of your plate meat or protein, 1/4 of it carby foods and 1/2 of it vegetation.
    Restrict sweets
    drink more water, less soda
    exercise at least 3-4 days a week for at least 30-40 minutes.

Following these steps you can lose as well. Ive done it when I didnt have MFP. I use it now because I LIKE being able to have pizza or chocolate on occasion and lose. That and I love the community and reading about success stories. I eat what I want thats reasonable and at the end of the day, I log it. If Im under great, if not, I work on tweaking what I eat.
  • TXGirl821
    TXGirl821 Posts: 115
    Options
    Coming from a background of eating disorders, I know just how you feel. I was here last year and started going so insanely crazy about the numbers, by the end of last January, I was eating maybe 300 calories a day, burning off over 700, and feeling sick as a dog. This time around I've come back with a group of friends in the hopes that they can keep me from going nuts.

The thing is, some of us have problems with numbers. Counting calories, carbs, fat grams, pounds, it makes us CRAZY. We play games. We lie to ourselves just to play with the numbers.

If you feel like counting numbers makes you unable to stick to a healthy way of eating - don't count numbers right now. I know that's not advice you'll probably get anywhere else here, but it might be the best advice for you. If you don't like getting 10 different answers to 1 question, a forum like this may not be the best place for you because we all have different experiences and opinions and have learned different things.

But whatever you decide to do, make it about you and you alone. Stop thinking "diet" and start slowly just eating a little better and moving a little more every day. The better you feel, the better you will treat yourself. It'll work out the way it's supposed to. :) I wish you the best!!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I found that it worked best when I picked one thing each week to change, let go of, or try. This allowed me to not stress over what was or was not happening. I know I don't think of it as something I'm going to fail at or not anymore. I look at it as a way to retrain my eating habits so it's not a diet, but a new way to eat. A way that I can live with now and into the future. I eat way more food now at around 2200 cals then I did when that would be one meal. I can't judge another persons OCD, but take it from someone who would bag their peanut m&m's by color and amount and then eat by size. This is doable and I log so I am accountable, but mostly to myself. This is about you, for you and by you. Don't worry about what others think, just do whats best for you. Maybe that is not logging in everyday, or maybe it's keeping your diary private. Hang in there and goodluck. I'm not losing super fast, but a year ago I was 64 lbs heavier and wore 50" pants and 4xl shirts. Today I wear loose 44's and 2xl and it's so worth the effort. Breathe! You can do this!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    The problem for you is that this whole calorie counting thing can be something someone with OCD can get obsessive over. Try hard not to let this become too much of an obsession. To be honest I can sometimes see obsessiveness in myself over this and I don't have OCD!

The whole point of calorie counting is to get an idea of how much you are eating and knowing which food pack more calories than others.

The point isn't to be super accurate.

Look most people that are overweight will eat a fantastic amount of food and not think that there is that many calories in what they're eating.

When people start logging their food they notice that the chocolate they ate, as little as it was, had more calories than a steak dinner. They start to learn which foods they can have a lot of and which foods should really be kept as a minimum.

My suggestion for you is to just log food you eat, don't worry about dieting so much right now and to now worry that much if you can't find a food you've eaten in the food database. Just pick something that's in the ball park. If you stop losing weight then maybe cut something back a little and see if that works.

It doesn't matter if it's not accurate because the numbers don't really mean anything unless they're linked to real world progress. E.g. if I'm not losing weight and I decide to cut back my steak dinner from 250g steak to a 200g steak and I start losing weight again, who cares what the exact calorie count was? I promise that the counts in my diary are not accurate. Most food labels do not have accurate calorie counts.
  • TOOFATTOMOVE
    TOOFATTOMOVE Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on the site for some time and have decided to come back again. I understand your stress. I have found if I plan my day/week out before hand, it is a lot less stressful and I find I am more successful. I even plan my workout time. If you are not eating a variety of meals and you are eating repetitive items, you can save them. If this data entry stuff isn't right for you then don't do it, just post your progress good or bad. However, this is the reason I like to use the Food and Fitness trackers. If I don't lose as much as I think I should have I review what I have eaten, then I compare it to my history of meals to see what I was doing differently when I was seeing the positive numbers expected.

Don't be so hard on yourself, give it time. An earlier post had indicated it takes 21 days to create a habit. Try to create a habit.
  • Wafflecatcassie
    Options
    My problem isn't just the numbers. It's the actually activity. Even now I'm struggling NOT to input my stuff. I know I'm having an obsessive-compulsive moment and while it is good to log my info, I feel like if I do I'll be giving in to the compulsion. It's kind of like a smoker giving into a craving for a cigarette.

Honestly I wish I had never even heard of calorie counting.
  • TOOFATTOMOVE
    TOOFATTOMOVE Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. Talk through it. Like an earlier post said "BREATHE." Don't worry about posting your activity right now, you know you did it.

I also thought this may help, kinda deep but maybe this quote by Tansu Ciller will help:

"Nobody can resist a ripe idea. The idea today is change."

This site is for you! If you are not ready to do all the calorie counting or fitness monitoring, then just review other's posts. See their progress and hopefully you will find your motivation. I do believe tracking will be most beneficial to you but not if it is going to stress you. I understand STRESS and how debilitating it can be. Try to make slow daily changes.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My problem isn't just the numbers. It's the actually activity. Even now I'm struggling NOT to input my stuff. I know I'm having an obsessive-compulsive moment and while it is good to log my info, I feel like if I do I'll be giving in to the compulsion. It's kind of like a smoker giving into a craving for a cigarette.

Do you think you could NOT log for one day a week? Log from Monday to Saturday and on Sunday don't log?
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I were you, I'd find some other way to do it. I mean if it's stressing you out (which stress can cause you to gain weight so in the end it probably isn't helping much) then you won't stick with it for long. You need to find something you can stick with. I HATED logging calories with a passion. It wasn't as much your reason, but that it was soooo hard for me. I NEVER make the same recipe twice, heck I never USE RECIPES. I'm a throw it all together and cook it type and it's always different! So I just gave up.

Something I want to try this year instead is just writing down everything I put in my mouth in a notebook so that I still acknowledge everything I eat. It's not counting calories but I honestly try more for eating whole foods, skipping processed foods, sweets, etc, etc. I can't see myself counting calories forever and always being concerned with calories so I want to try to find a habit I can stick with. I think writing down everything you eat is a good alternative. Maybe more so if you're already aware of the calories in the foods you in. Since I already eat fairly healthy things and eat most whole foods then I'm not overly concerned with the rest.

In the end stress will only cause you to gain weight...or at least stop you from losing so it's stupid to keep doing something to lose weight that is only stressing you out because it'll make you have to work even harder to lose the weight and you'll end up just getting more stressed that you're not losing the weight.

I know I go against what everybody else said and nobody will agree with me probably but I don't believe that you can only lose weight by counting calories. I know that's a BIG part of this website but I'm only here for the support I get from my friends on here and the forums (and to log exercise as motivation).
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I only log /roughly/ what I eat -- and if I can't be bothered logging or if I'm not in a position to log (say, if I go out for a few drinks with the girls) -- then I don't. I only log to keep myself mindful of what I eat. I don't weigh or measure anything -- I just guess. I fill my plate at least half full with veggies.

When I first started, logging everything stressed me out too much. So I was just here for support.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It was difficult for me at first also, but what I tell myself is that I am working on being ABSOLUTELY HONEST with MYSELF. I write down what I eat no matter how bad the day is because it's an exercise of being honest and acknowledging my behavior. I can't change what I refuse to acknowledge. If I tell myself "I eat pretty healthy" and then I eat twice the number of calories that I need in a day (real example), I am only fooling myself, but my body tells the truth.

Another thing that helped me is wearing a bodybugg. The bodybugg tells me how many calories I burn in a day, whether I sit on the couch, do no exercise at all but am active that day, or if I workout hard. It tells me the TRUTH about how many calories I have to work with. If I eat less than I burn, I lose weight. If I eat more than I burn, I gain. It's that simple.

The truth sucks! :grumble:

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult at the start, as others have said, but maybe just making small changes in your eating behaviours would be easier for you, noticing if you hit the chocolate or cookies when you're with a particular person or at a particular time. I have lost significant weight twice before in my life, and have carried through some behaviour changes into my regular routine, which hasn't stopped the weight going on again, but has meant keeping relatively healthy, despite hitting the chocolate and cookies again. So I wouldn't worry too much about calorie-counting at the moment, but try to observe your eating habits, and see if you can change to more sensible ones bit by bit. The point of calorie counting is simply to monitor your eating behaviour. Thinnies do this automatically - watch your skinny friends spend ages chasing food round their plates, or just not having those crisps (chips for USA members) while you have handfuls. At the end of the day, make a note of problem areas or times, and also note down things you've done which are an achievement, and pat yourself on the back... and keep your short-term goal in mind ... maybe hang up an outfit you can't quite get into yet where you can see it every morning, and celebrate bigtime when you can get into it!
  • NLThiele
    NLThiele Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I know it may be difficult to do, but perhaps you can use this site for tracking just your weight and exercise. Use an easier, less precise way to track your food - a notebook where you write down what you eat without being so specific as to weight or calories. In this way you can still have the benefit of thinking about what you are putting into your body without triggering your OCD. Not all weight loss "tools" work for everyone so take from this what works and ignore the part that doesn't.
  • SusanMarie7777
    SusanMarie7777 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try eating all the foods you were use to but in smaller portions. Don't let it stress you out. Do you like exercise; it can be a great stress reducer. Someone suggested boxing to me because my stress levels were so high at the time. I love beating that bag as hard as I can. We are not here to put pressure on you, heck we are all going through this together just trying to keep our heads above water. You are not accountable to us, just be true to yourself. Take one day at a time!