hypothyroidism?

Options
I just found out today that I have hypothyroidism... so no wonder I gained weight and am having a hard time losing it! Does anyone else have this problem, or know any tricks to losing weight while dealing with it?

Replies

• mrshalsten
    mrshalsten Posts: 9
    Options
    I just found out today that I have hypothyroidism... so no wonder I gained weight and am having a hard time losing it! Does anyone else have this problem, or know any tricks to losing weight while dealing with it?
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have it - take your meds faithfully as recommended. The only way your body can get back to normal is to take the synthetic hormone to convert the tsh so your metabolism can function properly. It may take a while to get your dose straightened out - took me 2 years, but it will be worth it. And, once you get going on it you will probably not gain more weight - once you get to the proper dose, you will be able to lose weight again.

Do some research - there are some great books out there that will give you lots of good information! :flowerforyou:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have it too. I actually had to have my left thyroid and parathyroid removed. I will be on meds for life. This was almost a year ago and we are still not completely adjusted but I feel much better. It is really weird how much your thyroid can mess up the rest of your body. Mine had my calcium so out of whack and high that I was having HUGE kidney stones. I haven't lost a lot of weight since but I did stop gaining (I gained 30 pounds in 6 months before the surgery).

Take your meds and let your doc know if you are feeling "weird" (that was the medical term my doc used :laugh: ).
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I was diagnosed a few years ago and my Dr has finally figured out my dose. It takes a long time and a lot of blood work to figure that out, but it is worth it. The medication moved me out of my zombie-like condition and back to somewhat normal functioning. My Dr couldn't believe I was still able to get out of bed based on how out of wack my numbers were. It didn't make the weight drop off like I thought it would (it is called the land of Denile :laugh: ), but it did help me get the energy to be able to do something about it.

I follow the MFP guidelines for calories and try to eat more balanced meals and workout at least 5 days a week and it is working fairly well. I have lost 34lbs in 3.5 months.
  • IUChelle423
    IUChelle423 Posts: 197
    Options
    I have hypothyroid as well. Before I started medication I was constantly tired and gaining weight. Like the others have said, it takes awhile to get the dosage right and they usually start low. I didn't see a dramatic weight loss when my thyroid came back in balance, but I stopped gaining and had more energy and I was SO thankful for that!
  • rocknrolla2009
    rocknrolla2009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I too have it..couldn't figure out how I put on 60 lbs in 3 months until finally I was diagnosed!
    I can suggest the following:

Eat foods higher in iodine (sea salt, sea kelp, seaweed- think sushi :wink: ) Also fresh fish, fish oils. You can also buy supplements in the health food stores.

Limit your white flour products and potato servings

Take your meds faithfully, as directed, on an empty stomach.

Stay active!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I agree with all the other advice given and will add to it a bit!
    As far as books...Sara Rosenthal and Mary Shalomon are awesome researchers!
    Definitely take your meds...no generics though...make sure your pharmacist doesn't try to switch from Synthroid to a generic!
    Get an endocrinologist!This is why.... My DD has been hypothyroid since age 13 and recently went in for a pre college physical with the family doctor. She had labs drawn and the nurse called and said all her labs were normal...see you next year. Well...I had requested the lab report be sent to the endocrinolgist who manages her care and guess what??? SHE didn't consider the TSH number acceptable and made a medication dosage change. Just a very small tweak...112mcg isn't quite enough, 125mcg is too much so for now DD is alternating 112 one day, 125 the next. New labs being drawn in 6 weeks. It sounds like a very small change but DD feels so much better already I love my family doc, but this isn't her specialty, so find an endocrinoligist asap!
    Weight loss is going to be tough. Weight gain was also one of my DD symptoms and 4 years later she has lost half of the 40 pounds she gained. It's slow progress and totally not fair, but you might have to work harder than another woman without hypothyroid.
    Stay away from the evil *whites*...sugar and flour. As my DD has figured out, her sister might be able to cheat and have a piece of cake...she can cheat and have a bite of cake. It sucks and I hate it for her,
    Don't be discouraged if the going is slow. Be patient with yourself, but don't use it as an excuse either.
    Get educated and be an active participant in your health care!
    You can do it!!!!:flowerforyou:
    Becky
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    This is interesting b/c I take 125mcg everyday except of thursday I take 1.5 pills. I guess it goes to shows and Dr who goes to this length has your best interest at heart. I chose to drive 2 hours to Atlanta to see Dr. Victoria Musey who I believe is the best in the Atlanta Area.
    Get an endocrinologist! This is why.... My DD has been hypothyroid since age 13 and recently went in for a pre college physical with the family doctor. She had labs drawn and the nurse called and said all her labs were normal...see you next year. Well...I had requested the lab report be sent to the endocrinolgist who manages her care and guess what??? SHE didn't consider the TSH number acceptable and made a medication dosage change. Just a very small tweak...112mcg isn't quite enough, 125mcg is too much so for now DD is alternating 112 one day, 125 the next.

I do take levothyroxin, the generic and it works for me. I pay approx $40 per year where as if I were taking the Synthroid it would be $800-1000 and that is a big enough difference for me.

Once my levels were right (It did take approx 2 years) the weight just fell off. The problem came when I tried to create too large a deficit and it halted my weight loss for about a month. I had to go to maintenance then back down to a deficit no greater than 500 no lower than my bmr.

I guess slow and steady does win the race especially for those of us with thyroid problems.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, too. I've had it for many years now and I still take my pills faithfully everyday.

I agree with what everyone else said and make sure you get to your bloodwork appointments. I have to go every three months. Especially if you start really changing your diet, working out, trying to lose weight. Changes to your body and your eating habits also brings changes to your thyroid level.

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • amn2006
    amn2006 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi There,

I have had hypothyroidism since I was 10 and have struggled with my weight ever since. What surprised me on this forum was the statement about generic meds. I took synthyriod when I was a kid, but since seeing other doctors, I have been prescribed Levothyriod. I take about 175mg...and that's pretty high from what I've been told. Yet, I still struggle with my weight. Could it really be the Levothyroid?
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently to different meds. Synthroid works for some but for some it doesn't. Some people prefer armour or use natural remedies such as sea kelp and pig thyroid in conjunction or as a substitute for the meds.

You have to keep on your doctor or get a good endocrinologist who will see to your needs.:flowerforyou:
    Hi There,

I have had hypothyroidism since I was 10 and have struggled with my weight ever since. What surprised me on this forum was the statement about generic meds. I took synthyriod when I was a kid, but since seeing other doctors, I have been prescribed Levothyriod. I take about 175mg...and that's pretty high from what I've been told. Yet, I still struggle with my weight. Could it really be the Levothyroid?
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with hypothyroidism for the past 8 years. I had mine removed in 2002 due to hashimotos hypothyroidism and cancer. It can be so discouraging and difficult to deal with, but here are a few pointers:
    1. Take your medicine at the same time every day
    2. Try to stay away from generics. You can often get different medicine at the same pharmacy simply because that's what they have in stock. If you prefer generics, have your doc write the prescription for the specific generic drug. Don't accept substitutions from the pharmacist.
    3. Keep track of your blood test results yourself. Even if your doc says that your levels are "normal" they might not be normal for your body. Get the number that the levels are at.

You levels can stay the same for quite some time and then change for no reason at all, so if you're feeling differnt than normal, get it checked. I was normal for about 6 years and then my levels just started changing. I now get tested every month for my TSH levels until they are going to be right. You might also want to get your T4 and T3 levels, because those can also really affect you.

Every person is so different when it comes to the thyroid, I just reccommend getting a few books and educating yourself. It can be very manageable as long as you know your body and understand what it is telling you.

Good luck!