Are we all suffering from orhtorexia?

Options

Replies

• StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options

If that describes you then, yes you might be. I don't think many of us on this site are. I think most people on this site have a pretty balanced view of food (at least I hope so lol). Nothing wrong with splurging every once in a while or eating things occasionally that aren't necessarily the best choice. I have no intention of having a "perfect diet". I don't think I would want to live on nothing but perfect 100% health food every day with never enjoying things like an occasional piece of chocolate or the occasional scoop of icecream.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    yes, but we all talk and think about food too much :/
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    yeah, i'm a queen of "cheat days", but sometimes i feel i'm way too obsessed with my eating... and i think that there's a lot of people here who are obsessed too, just feeling bad about eating unhealthy food isn't really normal
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how you read into this article. In the early stages of MFP I was constantly worried about what I was eating, but you kind of have to be to make a change for yourself. We all beat ourselves up a little bit for terrible food choices when we're trying to get on track. If it starts ruling your life and you can't find any peace, then it's probably borderline obsession and not healthy. But honestly, some of us are more neurotic, it doesn't mean we have Orthorexia necessarily. I wouldn't read to far into it. Interesting article. Thanks for sharing it.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    no, i'm 5'8" and i secretly want to weight 105 lbs.
    i weight 115 now and i'm not happy.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    "Orthorexia boils down to someone who is very, very concerned with eating what they consider the perfect diet,"

I guess chucking in a cheat day every week means I don't have it?
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    yes i have cheat days too,i think it's normal that we eat junk food once in a while, but i end up feeling incredibly guilty and that's not healthy approach to food or eating!
    sorry if i made any mistakes my english is not perfect
  • danniellexxx
    Options

I am 5 ft 2 and 101 pounds... borderline underweight...
    But I feel thats where I am normal ...
    I wasn't happy any bigger :/
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    People are usually branded with orthorexia by unhealthy or fat people who are insecure that someone is eating so well.

That said, there ARE orthorexic people who let the construction of a perfect diet interfere with their day to day lives and thought patterns, much the way an anorexic person might think constantly about their weight, body, and what they will eat (or not eat) next.

Finding enjoyment in planning meals and making an effort to eat healthy is something more people should do.
  • Natashaa1991
    Options

I know your goals aren't realistic or healthy, that's why i brought it up. That's what your biggest concern should be. Not "ORTHTOREXIA"

I live in China. I'm practically FAT here. When i go to H&M to buy jeans, i have to get the BIGGEST size.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your approach.
    The article is interesting but when I read into it I found it not properly researched and generalizing.:angry:

Ie:"........ Some may follow a strict vegan or fruitarian diet. And others may eliminate sugar, processed ingredients, artificial flavors and colors, or anything that contains additives.

"As it becomes more and more restrictive, it begins to interfere with your quality of life and your wellness," .........":grumble:

To be honest with you, how can eliminating sugar and artificial flavours, additives and so on be bad for you and called a clinical condition? This article is exaggerating and scaremongering.:noway:
    I avoid artificial colours, artificial additives in general and most of my fruit and veg are organically grown at home. I eat only free range chicken, cook all meals at home (going out for dinner every 2 months or so). So, does that mean I am orthorexic? No, it just means that I like cooking and gardening, that I have a great choice of foods, that my cholesterol is too high (that's why no red meat) and that I have to live on a tight budget and can't afford the sodium packed, overpriced precooked meals for the microwave:D
    You will always find articles like these, sponsored by those who make money with processed foods and the pharmaceutical industry making money with heart medication and all cholesterol lowering pills.
    Just make sure you have all vits/mins and eat a healthy all-round - diet:flowerforyou:
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    ooh i like soul soothing :D
  • Natashaa1991
    Options
    cnocnacu, i'm so jealous i wish i had my own little garden. i come from serbia,my grandparents had a farm and i used to eat organic all the time, eggs, fruits and veggies, but now that's not available anymore and i'm a little bit concerned about all the additives that i'm eating with my fruits and veggies (i mean, i buy apples,bananas or tomatoes and a week later, they all stay fresh, and look and taste exactly the same).
  • Boring2Fit
    Options
    yes i have cheat days too,i think it's normal that we eat junk food once in a while, but i end up feeling incredibly guilty and that's not healthy approach to food or eating!
    sorry if i made any mistakes my english is not perfect

I understand what you mean, I feel extremely guilty after eating anything as well but I don't think that means I have orhtorexia. Focus more on your health than what this random article says.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    cnocnacu, i'm so jealous i wish i had my own little garden. i come from serbia,my grandparents had a farm and i used to eat organic all the time, eggs, fruits and veggies, but now that's not available anymore and i'm a little bit concerned about all the additives that i'm eating with my fruits and veggies (i mean, i buy apples,bananas or tomatoes and a week later, they all stay fresh, and look and taste exactly the same).

I know exactly what you mean, that is kind of worrying. But sometimes we have to buy veg like those, too. I love tomatoes and it's not the time for tomatoes here in Ireland at all:bigsmile: We ate our own ones until end of October and since then I have to buy them, and cheap... But I always make sure I wash them properly in lukewarm water. I order my organic grains and dried fruit from Germany (very cheap) and in general I cook what the season has to offer: Brussel Sprouts, Kale, Savoy cabbage....seasonal foods are packed with vits/mins even if you buy in a shop. You get the best carrots ins summer and late autumn, the best Br. sprouts, kale and savoy in autumn and winter. Then they are at the peak of their "nutritiousness". Also: you have the choice to buy produce from x or z. Some Spanish produce are pesticide cocktails whereas the same produce from Holland are less treated. Browse the web and you will find a lot info.
    Yes, I am so glad we have our garden and it's exercize, it's aerobic and fun :happy:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm LMAO reading that. It describes a lot of people on here.
    "This is someone who takes healthy eating to an extreme and feels good about it. These people often have a sense of moral superiority." While others abuse their bodies, they know better.

Go read some of the threads on junk food and tell me that you're not reading this every other post.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your approach.
    The article is interesting but when I read into it I found it not properly researched and generalizing.:angry:

Ie:"........ Some may follow a strict vegan or fruitarian diet. And others may eliminate sugar, processed ingredients, artificial flavors and colors, or anything that contains additives.

"As it becomes more and more restrictive, it begins to interfere with your quality of life and your wellness," .........":grumble:

To be honest with you, how can eliminating sugar and artificial flavours, additives and so on be bad for you and called a clinical condition? This article is exaggerating and scaremongering.:noway:
    I avoid artificial colours, artificial additives in general and most of my fruit and veg are organically grown at home. I eat only free range chicken, cook all meals at home (going out for dinner every 2 months or so). So, does that mean I am orthorexic? No, it just means that I like cooking and gardening, that I have a great choice of foods, that my cholesterol is too high (that's why no red meat) and that I have to live on a tight budget and can't afford the sodium packed, overpriced precooked meals for the microwave:D
    You will always find articles like these, sponsored by those who make money with processed foods and the pharmaceutical industry making money with heart medication and all cholesterol lowering pills.
    Just make sure you have all vits/mins and eat a healthy all-round - diet:flowerforyou:

^^^Agreed
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    there is a cure: cookies, greasy pizza, and fast food.
  • WalkWell
    Options
    If only I had developed such a disorder at an earlier stage of life - lol- my problem has been the opposite- eating whatever until one day i went hay, maybe all the food is having a bad effect on my life. Now i enjoy correcting this and developing an interest in healthy eating. Possibly if i looked like the person who originally posted this I would question whether I really needed to be so vigilant.