• LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Im a dreadfully picky eater also
    I try to force myself to eat things
    Or cut the fruit/veg in VERY small pieces
  • hsmommyofmany
    Options
    green smoothies, definately the way to go. mix the strawberries or other berries (blueberries are very sweet and great for you) in and some banana and the veggies are not detectable. you could even add splenda if you need to for sweetness.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies have a lot of carbs, fruit has a lot of sugar.. I'm a HUGE fruit and veggie fan, but have cut a lot of it out of my diet due to those facts. You can still eat healthy and limit your veggie and fruit intake.. Try a high protein diet or explore "clean eating" and eliminate processed foods.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    Fruits and veggies have a lot of carbs, fruit has a lot of sugar.. I'm a HUGE fruit and veggie fan, but have cut a lot of it out of my diet due to those facts. You can still eat healthy and limit your veggie and fruit intake.. Try a high protein diet or explore "clean eating" and eliminate processed foods.

No wait a minute. I can agree that some fruits are high in calories such as bananas but many fruit are quite low in calories such as apples, berries etc. All fruit is much lower in calories than their sweet processed equivalents and more importantly are packed full of great nutrients. Keep in mind we are talking about whole fruits, not juices or canned fruits which are not natural really more like soda and deserts.

Vegetables on the other hand are largely as close to calorie free or light as food gets. Particularly when we are talking about dark vegetables and "greens". I ate 8 oz of cauliflower with lunch for 72 calories. You couldn't eat enough cauliflower to gain weight and when you have high fiber, nutrient packed vegetables like that in your diet it is easy to stay on track both for your health and your weight.

Now, I will agree that many diets would benefit from an increase of lean protein and healthy fats. But it is not fruit and vegetables that wreck most peoples diets. Instead it is more often than not grains, corn syrup, sugar and processed combinations of that mix.

Let's not make claims that are just not true.
  • amdwrn
    amdwrn Posts: 3
    Options
    go keto. you can eat meat, fish, cheese, and nuts with some limited vegetables. you don't eat fruit. or bread. it's really not bad at all.

www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • sonician1974
    sonician1974 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few comments about cauliflower, so I wanted to provide *THE* way to prepare it.

Take a full head of cauliflower (or equivalent frozen) and steam it until it's tender. Drain and then puree it in a food processor (or mash with a potato masher). Add about 1/4 cup of unsalted butter and about a 1/4 cup of milk (or almond milk is even better).

Once mixed sufficiently, plate as much as you want, and cover with bacon bits and shredded cheddar. I guarantee that you will swear you're eating loaded baked potato mash.

Nutritional info:

200 cals, 16g fat, 14g protein, 2 net carbs (It's Keto-riffic!)
  • sonician1974
    sonician1974 Posts: 15 Member
    Options

No wait a minute. I can agree that some fruits are high in calories such as bananas but many fruit are quite low in calories such as apples, berries etc. All fruit is much lower in calories than their sweet processed equivalents and more importantly are packed full of great nutrients. Keep in mind we are talking about whole fruits, not juices or canned fruits which are not natural really more like soda and deserts.

Vegetables on the other hand are largely as close to calorie free or light as food gets. Particularly when we are talking about dark vegetables and "greens". I ate 8 oz of cauliflower with lunch for 72 calories. You couldn't eat enough cauliflower to gain weight and when you have high fiber, nutrient packed vegetables like that in your diet it is easy to stay on track both for your health and your weight.

Now, I will agree that many diets would benefit from an increase of lean protein and healthy fats. But it is not fruit and vegetables that wreck most peoples diets. Instead it is more often than not grains, corn syrup, sugar and processed combinations of that mix.

Fruit has full-stopped my weight loss on two occasions. The amount of natural sugars forces your insulin to spike, which in turn stores any fats you take in.

Non-root vegetables (because of their low sugar and high fibre) do not have the same effect.
  • jaynewould
    Options
    I grew up in a house where the vegetables had offended somebody and apparently deserved to be boiled to death. I didn't realise until I was 19 and tried proper Thai food that vegies that haven't been overcooked are much easier to deal with. I really like stirfries: I fill them with things I like (chicken/prawns/fish, soy sauce, chilli sauce, tamarind, peanuts), throw in a few vegetables (little bits of broccoli, strips of carrot and cabbage, Chinese greens) and toss in rice or noodles. The vegies are mostly just a nice textural "crunch" amongst all the other delicious things, and if I come upon a too-big chunk of broccoli, I just shovel it in with a big enough mouthful of noodles that I don't notice it :P

You might want to try ordering vegie-heavy dishes at a Thai or Vietnamese place to see if you like how they're prepared and then having a crack yourself. Also I think the spices help make it a bit more interesting: I quite like vegies in a spicy curry (eggplant and potato Indian curry is really good) or in a hot and sour soup.

(Also seconding the other suggestions to hide baby spinach in things like smoothies and pasta. It disappears! Magic.)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You've had some great advice so far about ways to increase your intake, so I'll just add something else to the discussion.

Why is it that you feel that you have to LIKE everything you eat? Food can be a real pleasure, but it does serve an actual purpose too.

Obviously it's wonderful to eat food you enjoy, but that is the reason that many of us are here in the first place, because we ONLY eat foods we enjoy rather than foods we should be choosing. So next time you catch yourself thinking "Oh but I don't like that" - then stop and say to yourself "Well so what, I'll damn well eat it anyway"

The great news is that if you do eat something regularly, you will come to enjoy it, and believe it or not you'll be looking forward to it, not trying to figure out how to avoid it.

Oh, and another thought's just struck me.. You seem to like only sweet things, and fruit and veg with a lot of calories in. Do try cutting right back on sugary foods of all kinds and it will develop your savoury palate a lot more. Plus, the lower calorie veg (eg brassicas) is a LOT more filling for the calories.
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I said carbs and sugar, not calories ;) I never have a problem staying under in calories, but if I ate all the fruits and veggies I wanted, I'd be way over in carb/sugar every day..
  • PirateGary
    Options
    Totally agree.