Almost Passing out because of diet?

Options
I was at work Saturday, I started to get very nauseous and dizzy. I work as a page in a library which means I put away everything that gets returned. I have to walk around and stand for 3 hours . I didn’t take my nausea serious since I always feel like that. I shook if off and kept going.
I kept going to the back of the library (the children’s room) to sit down. I did this a couple times. But on a trip back everything went black. I couldn't hear, couldn’t breathe. I tried screaming but nothing was coming out. I was going to fall so I stumbled into the bathroom.
I was shaking, sitting on the toliet. I gathered enough strength to get out and to call my parents and leave work early. I’ve been in bed since. I’ve been nauseous and dizzy. Everything aches. I had eaten half a muffin that morning which is a lot for me (for breakfast, work was at 10 to 1:30, I left at 1 though). I still don’t understand what happened to me. I missed new years.

Today Monday, and the first day I can get up without unbearable pain in my chest and ribs. It's hard to get up without getting dizzy. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I’m scared and in pain.

I don't knwo what triggered this and I'm afraid it has to do with my diet.
help.

*I cant see a doctor.
Ive been eating less than this for months... this is a lot.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I was at work Saturday, I started to get very nauseous and dizzy. I work as a page in a library which means I put away everything that gets returned. I have to walk around and stand for 3 hours . I didn’t take my nausea serious since I always feel like that. I shook if off and kept going.
    I kept going to the back of the library (the children’s room) to sit down. I did this a couple times. But on a trip back everything went black. I couldn't hear, couldn’t breathe. I tried screaming but nothing was coming out. I was going to fall so I stumbled into the bathroom.
    I was shaking, sitting on the toliet. I gathered enough strength to get out and to call my parents and leave work early. I’ve been in bed since. I’ve been nauseous and dizzy. Everything aches. I had eaten half a muffin that morning which is a lot for me (for breakfast, work was at 10 to 1:30, I left at 1 though). I still don’t understand what happened to me. I missed new years.

Today Monday, and the first day I can get up without unbearable pain in my chest and ribs. It's hard to get up without getting dizzy. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I’m scared and in pain.

I don't knwo what triggered this and I'm afraid it has to do with my diet.
    help.
    What diet?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Caitttlinn
    Options
    It's not a specific diet. I go by this and a little bit of weightwatchers. I kinda just play by what I think/know.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You need to give more info as to what kind of diet you are on. It sounds to me like you're not eating enough, maybe??
  • SLT4273
    SLT4273 Posts: 56
    Options
    almost sounds like a panic/anxiety attack.

i'm not a physician however...maybe you should consult with yours. those symptoms are not something to take lightly. good luck!
  • trixie5059
    trixie5059 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to see a medical doctor first thing. Unbearable pain in chest is not a good thing
  • axman19
    axman19 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor.
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well it could be the flu or pneumonia - that would be my first guess. Could be low blood sugar given that you claim that eating half a muffin for breakfast and no lunch was "a lot". Could be low blood pressure. In any case it sounds like you need a doctor, not myfitnesspal
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I looked at the 2 days that you entered as food on MFP and yes every normal person would get dizzy with that calories deficit. They key is eating healthy and not starve yourself, the body needs fuel to keep going as a car needs it's fuel.
  • kegonzales
    Options
    I took a look at your diary and it looks like you need to see a nutritionist. You may think you are eating okay because you are eating around your caloric suggestions but your food choices are not the best. Where is you protein? Fruit and Veggies?
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. Up your calories and make sure you eat them all, and eat food thats worth eating. Like fruits, veggies and protiens. Lots of protien, you are way low on that and only eating simple carbs, anyone would pass out if they ate what you ate.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just looked through the past week of your food diary - it looks like you are not eating enough! You haven't even come close to breaking 1200 calories. Eat more, and eat some fruit! It could be low sugar making you dizzy.

And is there any way you could go to an ER? I know the doctor is expensive without health insurance, but if something is really wrong, is it really worth the cost of your health?
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sounds Like a panic attack to me too. I would deffo start the day having breakfast before you leave the house for work some wholegrain cereal would be ideal and then you know the dizzyness wont be down to you blood sugar. Hope you sort it out. I have a very busy job and sometimes after breakfast I have to go 8 hours without food or a break as I work in a busy hospital I drink plenty. Although this isnt healthy and I try to avoid this at all cost. I rarely go dizzy with it. I think it is likley to be something else and something you should tell your doctor about.

Best of luck.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    has anyone looked at this girls's diet?? people are just throwing things out there.

Her diary wasn't open when she first posted this thread.

Simple answer, you're not eating enough. That's why you're fainting.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yup...the others said it correctly, in looking at your diet you need to eat more and more healthfully. Give it a try.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you don't seem to be eating enough so it could just be that in itself. Your body doesn't have enough fuel just to function. I can't see much of your diary, I presume because of the holidays you haven't been logging, but from what I've seen you need to eat more and make sure it's wholesome food for the most part.

Definitely see your doctor if you don't feel any better after eating more, but I get like that when I'm anaemic regardless of how much I am eating. Anaemia can also cause chest pains and breathlessness because you're not getting enough oxygen around your body. The fact that you are getting chest pains means that you need to see a doctor just to be on the safe side but I'm sure it's nothing to panic about. Although you may find it goes away completely just by eating enough for your body to function.

Personally I find that WW doesn't provide enough calories, but I know it has changed recently so perhaps it's better now.

Go through your goals again on MFP and aim to lose 1/2 to 1lb a week depending on how much you have to lose. Also eat some of your exercise calories if you need to or your body will suffer.

Hope you feel better
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's diet, but it sounds like it could be low blood sugar or low blood pressure. I looked through your diary and you're not eating enough for sure, and you need to evaluate the nutritional value of what you ARE eating. I'd see a doctor or at least a nutritionist (most doctors don't know much about nutrition). If you're a student there's usually someone available at schools/universities. Good luck!
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Yep girl your diet is terrible. You need to eat more and try to eat more often eating a yogurt for breakfast is not enough!!!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Folks ... as far as I can tell, none of you are medical doctors, psychiatrists, or mental health professionals who are qualified to give the kind of advice you're giving (and if you were qualified, it would be a breach of professional ethics for you to be proffering diagnoses and advice in a forum like this). I've reported this thread to the moderators because you're all playing with fire here.

To the OP: If you're always nauseous, feeling chest pains, and nearly blacking out, take it as a wake up call, listen to those in this thread who are advising you to seek medical help, and please get yourself to a medical doctor. If you don't have health insurance, visit the emergency room or find a clinic who does pro bono work. It may be nothing, but people in these forums are not qualified to make that judgement.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    How do you know the education we have or don't have? Aren't you also offering advice?

I'm suggesting the OP get *real* advice, not the kind of ill-informed opinions and shotgun advice she'll find here. Someone who is a medical or mental health professional is under a code of ethics that would require him/her to refrain from giving physical or mental health advice in forums like this. It's part of the basic training you get as a doctor, nurse, psychologist, or other health professional. I know, because I *am* a licensed mental health professional.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It's clear that you didn't even bother looking at her diary. It doesn't take a health professional to realize that three cups of apple jacks, a loaded potato skin, some mashed potatoes and gravy and a brownie for the entire day isn't a healthy diet.
This discussion has been closed.