Observations of my Year on MFP

Options
About this time last year I took a good look at myself and decided I needed to make some changes. My size 8 pants no longer fit and I was struggling to button my size 10's. Nothing fit right and I felt terrible and tired all the time. I dieted for a week before I weighed myself because I was afraid of the number. When I finally got on the scale I weighed 160 pounds, the most I ever weighed, and officially overweight according to bmi.

I am a busy mom with four kids, a husband, and a full-time job. Like many of you I had every excuse in the book not to exercise and eat right. I decided to make it a priority. I set my alarm for 5am and exercised before school. At first I could barely do a 30 walking cardio workout without getting dizzy and feeling like I as going to puke. Now I can run four miles!! I exercise at least 5 time a week and actually miss it when I don't. Do I like getting up at five? No! But I make it a priority. We find time for what is important!! Also I don't have the money to join a gym. You CAN get a good workout without joining a gym and spending a lot of money. A few dvd's and a set of small weights, some decent shoes and your good to go!

I friend told me about MFP and I started logging my food. Keeping track of what you eat is crucial. Now that I am maintaining I don't always log my food but if I see the scale move in the wrong direction I do. Keeping track of not just calories but what I ate was huge. Lots of fresh fruit, veggies, and lean protein!!! What you eat is 80% of the equation, much more important than exercise for weight loss.

Getting a group of sportive people on here is a tremendous help. Sure you can do it on your own but having people cheer you on a for you to cheer on really helps. Use this site to your full advantage.

It took me about 6 months to lose 40 pounds. I feel great and don't ever plan on going back. I still have to work hard everyday but the benefits are worth it. People still ask me how I did it and I love telling them. I have been an example to my own children as well as my students. I am teaching by example. My daughter saw a commercial the other day saying that over 40 you lose muscle mass every year and she said "Mom, I think you have gained muscles mass not lost it" and she is right!!

So here's to 2012. May you achieve all you health and weight loss goals!! I hope to continue to firm and tone what I have and maintain my weight through this new year!!

Replies

• mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience. You are right, we make time for what is important. Continued success and growth for you in 2012!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    : You are such a great inspiration, very proud to have you as part of my MFP family :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!