How often to weigh yourself

Options
I have read on some weight loss sites that you should weigh yourself once a week. Some say everyday. Some say once a month. How often do you weigh yourself and how does it benefit you?

Replies

• SallyClare
    SallyClare Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've decided to weigh myself once a month as I find that I will always lose weight over a month when I'm on track but not necessarily over a week. I find this more motivational.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose I weighed myself once a week. My day was Thursday. I would weigh first thing in the morning. Now that I am maintaining I weigh every morning.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I weigh in on Wednesday morning first thing and have since I started.. I stay off the scale other than that day because your weight changes so much on a daily basis.......
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It doesnt really matter tbh.

Personally I weigh every morning on waking, but only record once a week. If im not going to lose any that week id rather see it coming, then be disappointed on weigh-in day.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    It doesnt really matter tbh.

Personally I weigh every morning on waking, but only record once a week. If im not going to lose any that week id rather see it coming, then be disappointed on weigh-in day.
  • Martialartsgirl
    Martialartsgirl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but only because I am easily distracted, and seeing a number I dont like every morning reminds me to do something about it that day. x
  • axman19
    axman19 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of person you are. I weigh in whenever I want once a day or as long as once every 2 weeks. It does not bother me when I see a pound gain one day after I lose a pound. My wife however has to weigh in once a month. She gets very dissappointed when she weighs in too much and her weight has went up slightly. where every two weeks as long as you are following the guidelines you should show a loss. So I would say it depends on what you will think when you get on a scale. I believe that weekly or once ever two weeks is the best!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have read on some weight loss sites that you should weigh yourself once a week. Some say everyday. Some say once a month. How often do you weigh yourself and how does it benefit you?

I get on the scale daily...it's an obsession. But I only log it on Tuesdays. Getting on daily gives me accountability and motivation.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Once a week on Friday morning first thing , month is no good you cant see progress, if its not good you don't have time to adjust
    Every day is crazy you body regulates on a daily basis you will never get a true reading
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Everyday!
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I weigh in every sunday. that way i can see where i am for the starting week. weighing in everyday can be REALLY discouraging and i dont recommend it. People expect to see atleast 1-2 lbs gone when they weigh in and thats not how it works with everyday weigh ins.
  • Jesuslover59
    Options
    For now I am weighing myself every day because I gained weight by being 'in denial'. If I overeat one day, I don't weight myself the next day. But I get right back on my diet and weigh myself the next day. Did that today and I didn't gain or lose over 2 days. But, hey, I just started, just bought a scale, so it is trial and error. I think you just have to do what works for you! THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS AND SUPPORT FROM EVERYONE!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday. This helps me to stay on track with my eating. For me, this is all purely psychological but it works well for me.
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am on the verge of cutting it out all together. Weight fluctuates so much depending on water, sodium, ect., and it can be discouraging. I am happy feeling my muscles toning and getting bigger:)
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Personally I check my weight every morning. As tchrnmommy had said, it's an obsession. I've been doing it every day for over three years. It's the same ritual every morning. I wake up. I use the restroom. I weigh myself. I check my body fat percentage with an Omron fat loss monitor. I record my measurements online. I could try to weigh myself once a week but I feel like I would be dying to know my progress mid-week. Do what works best for you and keeps you on track.
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every sunday. that way i can see where i am for the starting week. weighing in everyday can be REALLY discouraging and i dont recommend it. People expect to see atleast 1-2 lbs gone when they weigh in and thats not how it works with everyday weigh ins.

I agree 100%. Once a week is enough. Nothing happens overnight. Weighing in once a week keeps me patient and makes me realize that good things take time.
    Sometimes I weigh in every other week. I try to not make it an obsession.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Too often! I log once a week, but keep an eye on it every few days, if its gone up a lot then i'm more careful, and will look at what ive been eating
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I seriously weight myself once aweek but might step on the scale 2 or three times a week to check on my gains. At the end of my day I typically weight 3 pounds more than at the beginning so its a check of progree if I weight less than 3 lbs at the end of a day place I have a weigh in for a challenge midweek now when I do my mfp weigh in on mondays lol :)
    Just don't let the scale rule you.. don't stress about every pound make sure you measure atleast every 2 weeks and know you are doing good.. the scale often lies stating gains when exercise and water are the weight gained... nothing else.
    Simply go for weighing on first day off morning for your serious weigh in and just let any other weigh ins roll off your shoulders :)
    Kimmy
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I hate that the scale taunts me everyday and I step on it. I officially weigh in and record on Saturday. But I get frustrated during the week if the scale goes up after Saturday. And for a lot of women our bodies respond to water, sodium and hormones that make our weigh flucuate dramatically. I am thinking about putting it away until Saturday so I am not tempted, but who am I kidding, I will go get it out of the cupboard and step on......
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, but only enter the weight here every two weeks or so. My weight has a tendency to teeter-totter around a number for a while, and I can suddenly show a big loss in some random fashion overnight. It's an erratic pattern, and I'm okay with that, as long as the overall trend is downward.

I have a wonderful group of pals here, and they cheer me on no matter what, but I prefer showing them a decent loss less often. I don't feel I would want to subject them to my random ups and downs on the scale on a daily basis. That's just me. I am perfectly fine cheering smaller losses more often if that is the way my friends stay motivated.