Yoga compared to other workouts

Options
I have just started using yoga as a form of exercise. Does anyone else enjoy it? And how to do you feel it compares to other forms of exercising?

Obviously yoga isn't a high calorie burn workout, but I find it extremely relaxing.

Does anyone have any good insight about yoga in general?

Replies

• paprad
    paprad Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't think yoga should be done for either calorie burning or for relaxation but really for dynamic flexibility and strength improvement. I have done a fair bit of yoga when younger. It can be relaxing but if you do a serious workout with proper form, it is as much about strength as it is about flexibility. For example, some of the back inversions, such as a camel pose (ustrasana), holding it for 1 minute is much tougher for me than doing lat pull downs for the same time. So also for even the upward dog - it can be quite a killer on the arms and wrists and you have to hold the whole pose for a 1 minute. Or take a look at what yoga super gran is doing here - at any age, the peacock pose is very demanding strengthwise.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1172810/The-yoga-supergran-bend-backwards-age-83.html

The thing about yoga, as compared to either a gym workout or cardio, is that you can only measure improvements against yourself - each of us is built differently and if you have, let's say, long legs and a shorter torso, you will find some of the forward bends very challenging ,but you may be much more flexible around the pelvis and find a lotus pose a cinch. Someone else might find the reverse true, so it can be both demoralising and counterproductive to get competitive about it or too regimental. My yoga guru used to say that all of us can (and tend to) monitor how far we could run at what speed or how much weights we pressed in the gym, but no one keeps track of how much you can bend forward (or back) and that's where spinal flexibility starts getting lost

Hope that helps
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Bikram (hot) yoga for two and a half years now. During that time I lost 80 pounds.

Was it the calorie burn that did it? I am sure that was part of it. But the yoga contributed so much more to my weight loss journey. It taught me that it is okay to be uncomfortable emotionally and physically: that sensations pass and we don't have to get attached to them. It taught me that I am the most important thing in my life and it is okay to take care of myself. It taught me the importance of a supportive community that shares a passion for health and wellness. It taught me that even when things FEEL ****ty I can sit with the process and be okay. AND it showed me that if you stick with something progress is possible, even probable!

So yeah. It worked for me.