Coconut Oil Benefits for Women

2»

Replies

• olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    I was hearing about the benefits of coconut oil from some of my MFP friends. I will have to check this out......I love the idea of using it on your skin as well!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Lots of uses for coconut oil. Also, search on this site for ways of making coconut milk and coconut butter at home, save $$$.

http://www.crunchybetty.com/a-millionish-uncommon-and-not-so-uncommon-uses-for-coconut-oil
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    If you buy coconut oil, do you mind sharing where you purchase it at and how much it cost - also, if you could include what you use it for???

Thanks so much!

I've switched to buying it on amazon, you get a better bang for you buck.

I LOVE coconut oil, I use it because I've seen some studies that show coconut oil can repair damage done to intestines from gluten intolerance.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Trader Joes is $5 jar
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    We use it at our house as a cloth diaper safe diaper cream. :)
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    bump
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Just thought I'd throw out my opinion too... I just learned about coconut oil and got a jar a few weeks ago. ($8 a whole foods) So far, I'm loving it! I haven't used it to cook (yet), but it is great as a lotion and lip balm. It makes my skin soooo soft! I can't wait to experiment with it more!
  • 19steph88
    19steph88 Posts: 30 Member
    Just like many others, I use it on my skin. It is an awesome moisturizer!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I am going to start making my own toothpaste out of coconut oil. Found several recipes this morning on pinterest.

I have been using coconut oil for months in my cooking and baking.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    As an oil. It comes in a jar. It is solid and white at room temp. You can get it food grade from whole foods stores or in the whole foods section of the grocery store. You can also buy it at beauty supply stores.

I've never seen food grade coconut oil at the beauty supply store...only the hair care product kind mixed with mineral oil or petroletum and whatever other chemicals. Perhaps because I never looked there for it. I would suggest just getting it from a grocery or health food store. Even vitamin stores carry it. That way you know it's safe for consumption and you can use it on the skin and hair.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    I get my coconut oil from vitacost.com. It's cold-pressed and organic. I buy the large 54 oz (about 4.5 lb) container for about $20.

I use it in some of my cooking - great in my homemade granola! - and to make my own deodorant. (1/4 c. baking soda, 1/4 c. cornstarch or arrowroot, 5-6 Tbl. of coconut oil). In the summer the deodorant is almost a liquid and in the winter I put it in an old twist up deodorant container.
This discussion has been closed.