Sodium Overload!!!!!

Options
Hello! I've been using MFP for around four weeks now and absolutely LOVE it!

Problem: I've come to realize that I've been consuming WAY too much sodium!!! I'm supposed to be getting no more than 2500 mg and some days I'm getting twice that in a day! I'm still losing weight, but am thinking this can't be good, right? Anyway, everything seems to have so much sodium in it, and I'm hoping I wont have to sacrifice all my flavor for lower sodium! :ohwell:

Any suggestions???

Also, I drink lots of water throughout the day. Will that help flush some of the sodium out?

Thanks for listening you lovely people!!!!

Replies

• jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    I realized I was doing the same thing. I have tried very very hard the past week to keep my sodium under 2500 mg a day. It's hard, but doable!
    Try dividing up your sodium for the day. for instance, you can split it evenly between your meals and snacks, or slightly bigger for your meals and smaller for your snacks, and maybe if you are going out or having a special lunch or dinner or whatever, then you can put most of your sodium there are cut back for your other meals and snacks. buy reduced sodium foods when you can.
    hope that helps! also, if you want some examples of what i ate on days i didn't go over on my sodium, just message me!
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Def. watch your sodium intake. I have high blood pressure and the first thing my cardiologist always asks is how much salt have I cut out.....lol. Try to stay away from prepackaged meals.....they tend to be the biggest culprits from excess sodium. Read the labels on food. If one food item has more than 25% of your daily allotment of sodium (many frozen dinners and such do) then it is not worth eating.
  • roccopico
    roccopico Posts: 28
    Options
    A lot of things that are low fat or low calorie make up for the missing taste by jacking up the sodium. This is especially true in milk items that are low fat.
    I think drinking a lot of water will help flush some of this out, but try finding foods that are naturally low fat and cooking them yourself so you can control the salt input. Try using herbs and other no salt or MSG seasonings to make your food taste good. :happy:
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I do think that the prepackaged meals I've been eating may be the main culprits. Those sneaky little guys are so convenient, but are probably causing me more harm than good!

I'll try so hard!!!!