Whole Oatmeal taste good??

Options
Can anyone make this stuff taste good? I like that it fills me up with a minimal amount, and its generally good for you. But I just cant get passed the texture and taste. I like the prepackaged stuff but its loaded with sugar. Do I just have to suck it up and plug my nose if I want to eat this stuff?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like mine with blueberries and stevia!
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I like mine with berries and a couple tablespoons of part-skim ricotta. I know it sounds weird but it makes it creamier.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can anyone make this stuff taste good? I like that it fills me up with a minimal amount, and its generally good for you. But I just cant get passed the texture and taste. I like the prepackaged stuff but its loaded with sugar. Do I just have to suck it up and plug my nose if I want to eat this stuff?

I question why you would eat something that you don't like. It's easiest to diet eating foods you like, even the sol called "bad" ones, just fit them in, in moderation
  • laren1266
    Options
    I love steel cut oats!! I cook it by the pot and then heat up a scoop in the microwave:

1 cup oats
    2 cups water
    2 cups milk
    4 packs splenda
    vanilla
    cinnamon
    dash of salt
    Cook over med-low heat until it iis the consistency you like.

You can also bake it. I layer a 13x9 pan with fruit, pour the above over it, cover with foil and bake for 35-40 min at 350.

I also like it mixed with vanilla yogurt. I have also been known eat oatmeal mixed with sugarfree hot chocolate mix for dessert.
  • jmp1031
    jmp1031 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i like to chop half an apple and mix that in and add cinnamon before it goes in the microwave. then top with about a half-teaspoon of brown sugar. or i like raisins and walnuts, or even a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips. i did a quick search for healthy oatmeal recipes and a site called mrbreakfast.com has about 40+ recipes. just have to find some ways to mix it up and make it taste great!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    oats
    almond milk
    canned pumpkin
    dash of vanilla extract
    sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon

Tastes just like pumpkin pie. Yummy!

oats
    almond milk
    peanut butter
    cocoa powder
    dash of vanilla extract

Tastes like reese's peanut butter cup.
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Good quality carbs. Its not really about the diet. More about the running fuel.
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you are all a great help. :)
  • jessiesheik
    Options
    I mash a banana and add cinnamon to mine :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    get a coffee grinder
    grind em
    add to protein shake
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oatmeal!!!!! best oatmeal ever!!!!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    oh baby.... i can't go one morning without porridge. i make mine with milk instead of water and then add berries (frozen when the fresh ones are pricey) and a bit of brown sugar. if u dont have berries use cinnamon and the sugar.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    Cheeze! Just throw a big chunk of brown sugar in nuke em, and add milk. Easy, yummy and quick.
  • mrolive
    Options
    I mix 2 TBSP of oat bran with fat free yogurt. Serves the purpose of filling me up w/o the taste/sugar of oatmeal. Works great to lower colesterol too!
  • fairygirl716
    Options
    cinnamon, honey and raisins
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    +1 on the coffee grinder suggestion.

Also try:

3/4 cup oatmeal
    cook it
    add 1/2 cup frozen berry mix
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1 scoop protien powder
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are the answer to the texture problem.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of oatmeal for breakfast and try to switch it up to avoid getting bored.

Oatmeal+thinly sliced apples+ cinnamon+stevia= tastes like apple pie
    Oatmeal+thinly sliced peaches+cinnamon+stevia=peach cobbler

Do the same thing with other fruits like blueberries and see what you like.

I also like to add a little REAL maple syrup, raisins, cinnamon or a tbsp of peanut butter, cinnamon and bananas
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I add coconut milk, a little organic sugar and some fruit and nuts. Sooo good.