Biking 1000 miles in 2012

Options
So, I used to be an avid biker, but then broke my leg and have been trying to get back ever since. However, when I set myself too high of a goal, and I don't make it, I get frustrated really easily. So, here's my attainable goal for the year:

Bike 1000 miles in 2012.

Indoor/stationary or outdoor/commuting, doesn't matter (have to be indoors sometimes in Portland, so, why not).

Anyone want to join me?

Replies

• Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I'm so I'm! I signed up to do a 30 mile ride in June. I got a bike computer for Chrisrmas. Now all I need to do is get out and do it.
  • Aslanscubs
    Options
    I haven't ridden a bike in forever and I just got one for my birthday in January. I am so out of shape but I want to ride it as much as I can. I'm sure it won't be 1000 miles this year but I'll do what I can!
  • dkminerovic
    Options
    My goal is 1000 miles as well. However in the winter its hard to get outdoors in NE Ohio. I usually average 10-12 minute miles outdoors with hills, so when I set up my stationary bike indoors I'm going to assume 10 minute miles at a good pace. Got 5 minutes in today (.5 miles), so I do have a long way to go. However, I haven't been on my bike in 5 months, so I will get much better.
  • nerdieprofessor
    nerdieprofessor Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Y'all can do it!

I did about 1,001 miles from July to December (and very few before that). So I'll like to exceed that in 2012, for sure.

I ride the bike trainer in the winter (which, of course, gets very boring and precludes LONG rides) and get outside when the weather is better.

:bigsmile:
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Go for it. That was my original goal for 2011, and I wound up riding 4119 miles.

I'm hoping to ride 6000 miles in 2012.

Best wishes to all of you, and keep pedaling.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm so I'm! I signed up to do a 30 mile ride in June. I got a bike computer for Chrisrmas. Now all I need to do is get out and do it.

Awesome. yeah, we're aiming for a 1/2 century (or a full one, maybe?) this summer. So, this seemed like good training.
  • cmm7303
    Options
    My goal is 1000 miles as well. However in the winter its hard to get outdoors in NE Ohio. I usually average 10-12 minute miles outdoors with hills, so when I set up my stationary bike indoors I'm going to assume 10 minute miles at a good pace. Got 5 minutes in today (.5 miles), so I do have a long way to go. However, I haven't been on my bike in 5 months, so I will get much better.

It does get better, and rather quickly. And remember, 1000 miles a year is about 19 miles a week. We can DO that!
  • cmm7303
    Options
    *6000 mile goal for 2012*

That's impressive. I was doing that kind of riding in 2004 and 2005, but then kids and injuries took their toll. I salute you!
  • ronkoscelnik
    ronkoscelnik Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sounds good. I like to ride here in Denver but have been nursing an injury. i am in on this one
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Get in with a club or group. A lot easier to do with friends even new friends. The clubs are free or may ask for a $20.00 fee for the year but they usually go out twice or three times a week. You don't have to go on all but doing it this way is fun and not boring. My first year being 2010 I did 1250 on an old heavy mountain bike alone. This year on a much nicer bike and riding with a club was 4200 miles. Good luck to you and again biking can be the most fun of all sports.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I hope to do 100 miles a month. :)
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    11 miles done! :happy:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm in! January & February may be low miles on the bike due to wind chill discouraging me from getting out there and I'm training for my first half marathon on March 4 so I'm focusing on running.

0 miles so far
  • Showcats
    Options
    I would love to join as well and do the best that I can. I have my bike on a trainer so I will have to estimate mileage until I either get a bike computer or a new exercise bike with a computer. Today I rode for 42 minutes. Do you think 4 miles would be a good estimate? I don't go very fast but did have some resisance. Yesterday I could only go 19 minutes before tiring. Let me know if it sounds like my estimates are way off or reasonable. Thanks!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I would love to join as well and do the best that I can. I have my bike on a trainer so I will have to estimate mileage until I either get a bike computer or a new exercise bike with a computer. Today I rode for 42 minutes. Do you think 4 miles would be a good estimate? I don't go very fast but did have some resisance. Yesterday I could only go 19 minutes before tiring. Let me know if it sounds like my estimates are way off or reasonable. Thanks!

Not sure if the estimate is reasonable or not; seems to vary by person. Your current weight, etc are big factors. There may be websites that will give you a rough idea.

My first ride last year was a 3 mile ride, and I about died. That was in April, and I still finished the year with 4119 miles. So, don't give up. Just keep pedaling more, and you will get in better shape.

Great job taking the initiative and keep up the great work.
  • mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I will try, although I need to get my running miles in too!
  • dmeyne
    dmeyne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for 1500 miles in 2012. I believe that it's attainable. I rode about 1000 miles this year, but didn't start riding hard until May. This year I plan to ride year-round. In fact it was so nice here that's what I did on New Year's eve! I am registered for a century in June so I will need to ride lots before then. Thanks for putting this challenge out there!
  • dmeyne
    dmeyne Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yesterday afternoon, it was abot 45 and blue skies, and I was all excited to get in a 24 mile route that I haven't done since August. Headed out westward, into a slight headwind, got about 4 miles out and noticed my rear tire was low and losing air fast. Went another 1/4 mile and realized I needed to stop. Out on a 2 lane county highway, no shoulder. Called a friend who was not around. Stashed bike in the ditch and walked home. Got car and drove out to retrieve bike. Planned on riding today, but will need to take tire in and go to gym instead. Bummed!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    dmeyne--That sucks about your bike! Hope you have more good weather soon to make up for that ride!

I'm up to 22.5 miles for the year on the bike. Got a flat on mile 6 out a 10 mile ride today, and since this is only my 3rd ride on my new bike, I haven't had time to get the repair kit for it so I had to ride the last 4 miles with a flat. :grumble:
  • hearting
    Options
    how do I sign up? I ready to start today