At Home Cardio

Options
Hey guys!

I don't have a treadmill because I just moved and couldn't take it with me.. no gym membership yet and it's too dark to go running outside alone.. What are some cardio exercises you like to do at home? I typically do jumping jacks as a quick cardio, but would like to add a few things to that list.. any suggestions?

Thanks!
Gianina

Replies

• branflake5
    Options
    have u tried insanity here is a 20 min workout u can do at home no equipment required http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuy4x_viY4M
    it is alot harder than it looks, it kicks my a** every time.
    Also bodyrock workouts are pretty much the same concept there are a lot of different workouts u can switch them up here is a link to 1 http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/11/28/it-will-rain-sweat-1000-rep-workout/ they are pretty intense to

hope these help
  • jeninabilan
    jeninabilan Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks so much :)
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    Burpees, squat thursts, kettlebell or medicine ball or dumbell swings(google kettlebell swings), jump rope, squat jumps........
  • nukehiker
    nukehiker Posts: 457
    Options
    high knees are awesome also
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    there are quite a few workouts you can look up on youtube or exercisetv.com, also leslie sansome exercise tapes are easy to do and great to do and there are some free on youtube, i also do alot of walking and in the summer swimming.....
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Try Youtube, look up sparkpeople work outs, they have alot of choices
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Burpees, squat thursts, kettlebell or medicine ball or dumbell swings(google kettlebell swings), jump rope, squat jumps........

thanks! I definitely youtubed somem of that stuff and will be doing them before bed! love it! thanks so much guys :)
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Get a mouse and let it run around the house whilst you're chasing it trying to kill it. You'll need many mice for this experiment.
  • branflake5
    Options
    exercisetv.com was great but unfortunately as of Dec 31 it is gone.
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Get a mouse and let it run around the house whilst you're chasing it trying to kill it. You'll need many mice for this experiment.

You can't kill it unless you're going to eat it. A mouse has about 30 calories, so you're better off releasing and re-chasing it. That way you both get a workout!
  • furrina
    Options
    Get a jump rope and you can put together some killer cardio HIIT workouts without an exercise dvd (i have nothing against dvds but I don't use them). It's also great for travel workouts etc.

Here are a couple examples of some good ones I made up, and some variations.

Use a stopwatch (phone or computer app).
    Warm up: Jog in place for two minutes. Then do this workout for 30 minutes. The "active rest" part can be jogging in place, marching etc.

1 minute: jump (don't skip) rope as fast as you can.
    1 minute: burpees
    1 minute: jump rope fast
    2 minutes: active rest - jog in place
    1 minute: jumping jacks

repeat for 30 minutes, alternating burpees and jumping jacks in the middle of the "on" sets between jumping rope. Start with only jumping jacks between jump rope if you can't quite do the burpees. Cool down with 2 minutes jog in place.

For variation:
    --run up and down stairs if you have them and it won't make you feel like an *kitten* for three "on" minutes instead of one of the jump rope/jumping jacks sets.
    --get an extra 10 minutes afterward running up and down stairs, with weights if you have them.
    --do jump rope only for 30 minutes, alternating jumping fast for one minute and skipping at a moderate pace for one minute.

If you get bored with the jump rope, try to do more stuff with it, e.g. jump with one foot then alternate, jump backward, twist the rope over your head, either side, etc.
  • jeninabilan
    Options
    Get a jump rope and you can put together some killer cardio HIIT workouts without an exercise dvd (i have nothing against dvds but I don't use them). It's also great for travel workouts etc.

Here are a couple examples of some good ones I made up, and some variations.

Use a stopwatch (phone or computer app).
    Warm up: Jog in place for two minutes. Then do this workout for 30 minutes. The "active rest" part can be jogging in place, marching etc.

1 minute: jump (don't skip) rope as fast as you can.
    1 minute: burpees
    1 minute: jumping jacks

repeat for 30 minutes, alternating burpees and jumping jacks in the middle of the "on" sets between jumping rope. Start with only jumping jacks between jump rope if you can't quite do the burpees. Cool down with 2 minutes jog in place.

For variation:
    --run up and down stairs if you have them and it won't make you feel like an *kitten* for three "on" minutes instead of one of the jump rope/jumping jacks sets.
    --get an extra 10 minutes afterward running up and down stairs, with weights if you have them.
    --do jump rope only for 30 minutes, alternating jumping fast for one minute and skipping at a moderate pace for one minute.

If you get bored with the jump rope, try to do more stuff with it, e.g. jump with one foot then alternate, jump backward, twist the rope over your head, either side, etc.

Awesome! I will be doing this tomorrow! Thanks so so much :)
  • furrina
    Options
    FYI I just log (if not using a HRM) as "vigorous calisthenics" or if you want to get really picky you can split jump rope, jog in place and vigorous calisthenics, they're all in the database, but it comes out about the same.