Embarrassed about people seeing me run

Options
I've decided that I'd like to start running so I looked into C25K and I'm really excited! Unfortunately I still feel really large and I live on a busy street where a college is also located (so it can get really busy). I'm really embarrassed about people seeing me jog since st first I'm sure I'll be super tired, etc... I don't want to feel this way.

How can I get over this? I was going to get up at 6am tomorrow and just go, but I'd really prefer to go on a happy note.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I've decided that I'd like to start running so I looked into C25K and I'm really excited! Unfortunately I still feel really large and I live on a busy street where a college is also located (so it can get really busy). I'm really embarrassed about people seeing me jog since st first I'm sure I'll be super tired, etc... I don't want to feel this way.

How can I get over this? I was going to get up at 6am tomorrow and just go, but I'd really prefer to go on a happy note.
    Part of the progress. Like anything that you take on that's new, you get better with repetition. You can't get anywhere without getting your feet wet. Get wet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just do it anyway.

I started running at about 170-175 pounds and I was really self conscious about it at first. I've lost 30 pounds more and sometimes I'm still self conscious. But I do it anyway. Just try to block out the people around you. I listen to music and that helps me.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Start running when it's still a little dark but not too dangerous.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    At 6am, there won't be anyone out there to see you! :happy:

But seriously - if anyone has a problem with you running in your own neighborhood, remember, it's THEIR problem, not yours.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Get lost in music-becoming the bull by atreyu is not about grabbing the bull by the horns but being the bull! Godsmack's Alive really loud makes you run fast & strong!
  • hhcote
    hhcote Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are the ones who judge and those who are envious about your spunk! Run for the ones who wish it were them!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I still have 40 lbs to lose, and DDD boobs, so I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb when I run. I started the couch to 5K two weeks ago, and it was hard at first, but I figure that you have to start somewhere to get somewhere. I My running is getting better every day, and I can't wait until I can go for a 3 mile run!
  • jaynewould
    Options
    I used to run through the inner suburbs of Sydney (all 180+ pounds of me; oh, spandex is not my friend). The only comments I remember were "wow, you're keen!" from people stumbling home from bars during my 6am run, and the occasional high-five. Most people are happy to see others out exercising :) And those who don't like it aren't worth worrying about! Good luck :D
  • the_fish_guy
    the_fish_guy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are there any other areas where you can run? We have a group that I run with here fairly often that is mostly new and/or self-conscious runners (mostly female, but a few of us guys) and we stick with trails so we are relatively private. We all stay with the slowest runner, no questions asked. It's great if you can find a supportive group.

Whatever you do, don't let the busy neighborhood stop you, and don't let any stupid things that people say or do get you down. Running in the early AM or at night might help, or finding an alternate (but nearby) location. If you run at night, buy a reflective vest and a headlamp . . . both can be had for under $10 if you shop around.

I started with the C25K about 4 years ago. I wasn't even able to do it. I had to do each week at least twice, a few times I had to go back a week, but I finally got there. One piece of advice . . . don't worry, at all, about how fast you go. I injured myself several times trying to run at a 10 minute mile pace because that's what I "thought" I was supposed to do. It wasn't until I figured out to run at my own pace that I was able to move through it injury-free.

Today I run 40-50 miles a week, at well under a 10 minute mile pace, so something must have worked.

While I disagree with Nike on many fronts, they got it right with "Just Do It" :-)
  • clankp22
    clankp22 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just finished C25K a couple of weeks ago and running that 3 miles is still tough! However, I have learned a few things. I, too, felt the way you do when I first started. I learned that no one else is really paying attention to you as they are all concentrating on their own running (or so it appears). Take encouragement from that fact that you are out there running! So many others are not! You will get better at it each week, and seeing progress being made is so very motivating that you will want to get right back out there and try again. Have fun! :)
  • CGradeCyclist
    CGradeCyclist Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi ilovepeppers,

I used to train with a running group some years ago. There are pretty much two things people say when they see someone 'new' to running who is carrying too much weight:

either (a) "good on them - another runner in the making..."; or
    (b) absolutely nothing, because they are so busy trying to get through their own run!!

Cheers,
    cgradecyclist
  • paleoskittles
    paleoskittles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get really self-conscious about running as well, but I've found it's good to take a buddy along with me and try to run/jog when it's dark outside already. Not too late! You mentioned you're in a college town; I'm sure their university track is still open and lit pretty late. Ours stays on until about 11pm. It's helped me.
  • KatieTee83
    KatieTee83 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everyone you will see is either a) also running and too busy worrying about their own jiggle to notice yours, or b) not running and feeling like an *kitten* because they wish they were.

Go you!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I can understand that. I was like this a year ago, I thought people would point and stare at my 200 pound shorts-clad behind and say "why is that fat lady bothering to run?"

But, I did it anyway and here's what actually happened:
    - lots of people out walking their dogs said hello (and I panted "hi,....aggghhhh... morning" back to them.)
    - many people completely ignored me
    - runners smiled or waved as they went past. Or ignored me.
    - cyclists flew past so fast I didn't notice where they were looking
    - I found out that if I ran slow enough I could run a long way
    - I started feeling in a better mood if I went for a run and a crummy mood if I didn't.
    - I kept running longer and longer and last weekend I ran (slowly!) for 14 miles/22km.

The fact that I can run still completely astounds me and everyone who knows me. I am so un-athletic it isn't funny - I've never been good at any sport and my co-ordination is shocking (yesterday a 6 year old beat me at table tennis).
    But, I can run. I bet you can too!
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    Even the fittest of people had to start somewhere.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Rubybelle, this is my experience too and when I started running I weighed 245lbs.

Just to add that if caring what other people think will stop you achieving your goals, stop caring, It's your life, your health and your body. Do it for yourself. Who cares what strangers think anyway? Any negative comments say nothing about you and everything about the insecure, mean, jealous person who said them. Love yourself enough to feel the fear and do it anyway.
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    I'm going to tell you the truth - I have had problems with this. I don't really seem to enjoy running but I used to cycle a lot and will be getting back into it as soon as my ankles heal.

I used to cycle 13k or so per day 5 days per week, and then I stopped because some people cat-called when I was out there and I felt awful. It was on a day when I was struggling because I'd had to stop for a few weeks due to illness and it was my first time back, so I just... Stopped. Ugh!

I've thought it all through carefully since and decided they can kiss my shiny behind. I've actually exercised in public since - I started C25K myself, and worked at it for a few weeks, but I really don't like running and as such I didn't do that for very long. However, you can go out early in the morning when most people aren't around. My youngest is in nursery now so I can go out during times when most people are at work or school (I work from home).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Erm, do any of you lot actually judge people on their running?

I honestly don't have the time or inclination to care.

Unless it's someone that's huge, and then I think &%king good on them!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just go for it. You'll soon realise that many people don't even think about seeing you running other than maybe thinking "it's a runner". Of those that do think about it I think most are secretly impressed when they see anyone running, regardless of their size. Some will be thinking "I wish I could do that", others will be thinking "I should really do some exercise". Most will only have positive thoughts about seeing you running if they even notice. My immediate thought when I see someone large running is "WTG!!!" In fact I am far more impressed to see a larger person (like myself, lol) running because it shows so much dedication to be fit and achieve their goals. If anyone does have any negative thoughts about it then they seriously need to get a life. Be proud of yourself and enjoy the process. Don't worry about what others may or may not be thinking. Good luck with the C25k :flowerforyou:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I felt exactly the same when I first started running and still suffer from feeling this way when I run - I've had the comments from people on the street when I puff and pant past them. But d'ya know what? I don't care. I enjoy running and what's more I get a huge sense of achievement knowing that I was gradually improving.

I've not been out running in a long time; I bought new running shoes yesterday and have planned on going out for my 1st run of the new year when i get home after work - whatever the weather.

If you want to go running, don't let what other's think or their comments when you are out on the street, stop you.