Questions for people with tattoos

Options
So, I'm on track to hit one of my mini-goals later this month, and I promised that I would reward myself with a tattoo! Problem: I have never had a tattoo, and I'm not close friends with anybody who has a tattoo, but I've seen some cool ones in MFP photos. I have a few questions, and I know I should ask the tattoo artist, but I kind of don't want to embarrass myself with really stupid questions before I embarrass myself even more by crying or throwing up as soon as I see the needle/needles/whatever they do tattoos with. (Clearly, I am in the *very* preliminary stages of researching this.)

However, I have no fear of embarrassing myself in front of the website that already knows I had chocolate for dinner the other night. Questions!

1) The tattoo I want is in my boyfriend's handwriting. Do I just get him to write whatever I want clearly on a piece of paper and bring it along? Do I get him to write on my skin? Should I get him to write it on my skin anyway so I get a feel for the size and placement I want before I get it permanently drawn onto my body? (Yes, actually. I will do that last thing.) But again: do I bring a paper copy of my "design" with me?

2) For people with tattoos who've lost a lot of weight, has it affected the tattoo? I sort of want it near my hip but I'm worried it will get all distorted as I lose weight (or, god forbid, gain it back).

3) If you've used one of those hand-held epilators before - the ones with the tiny little rotating tweezers - how does that compare to a tattoo? Similar sensation? More/less painful? What would you, personally, compare it to?

4) Subjective question: I'm tossing up between my hip, below one of my collarbones, or the back of my neck. Thoughts? Considerations? Is one of these places epically more painful than anywhere else (which is what I've heard about foot tattoos)?

Don't worry, I really will ask the actual tattoo artist all these things, I just wanted to not walk into the tattoo place feeling like a complete noob. Thanks in advance! :D

Replies

• rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    wait until u lose all the weight because ur losing weight.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The nearer the bone, the more painful it is. Peroanlly, I'd avoid areas that are always or frequently on show, so I'd go fro hip rather than neck or collarbone. I found it more painful than an epilator, but everyone has a different threshold. The good thing is you can ask the tattooist to stop for a minute, and the pain stops instantly.
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on wanting to get one.....I will try to answer what I can.

1. Never fear asking questions....everyone has questions with their first tattoo.
    2. How long have you been with your BF and is this something that you want permanently on your body? I mean we all have great intentions with our SO but sometimes relationships don't work out....just IMHO. Something to think about
    3. The pain is not too bad but it does hurt....the stomach and the ankles I hear hurt the most....but it really comes down to your pain threshold.
    4. If you want to go with the handwriting, sure test it out first but also have him write it out on a piece of paper....tattoo artist use special paper to make a copy of it and then transfer that to your body. At least mine did....I designed a tribal tattoo and that is what he did.
    5. As far as distortion, it is hard to say because it comes down to the quality of the ink that is used. My skin didn't absorb the ink that well but my tattoo artist will go over tats for free later on.....my one that goes from my shoulder to my chest faded and had some missing black to it and he covered it up

Being nervous the first time is natural...ask the questions to the artist.....they get lots of questions

Feel free to ask more questions......after you get one, you will probably want more!!!

Best of luck
    Ed
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Subjective question: I'm tossing up between my hip, below one of my collarbones, or the back of my neck. Thoughts? Considerations? Is one of these places epically more painful than anywhere else (which is what I've heard about foot tattoos)?
    I have a tattoo, and I enjoy it and do not regret it ONE BIT! It's been 20 years.

Just get the thing where you can cover it up easily with clothes.
    Tattoos are a sign of low class - remember that.

Cool, sure, but low class, and forget ever getting a real important position if the interviewer can see it.
    Tattoo people make great service workers but lousy executives for the most part.

Don't be offended - again, I HAVE ONE, and I love it!
  • PamJ413
    PamJ413 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What ever you want to get you bring in a copy of the picture or in this case the writing on a piece of plain white paper. Make sure it looks as exactly how you want it to. As for size you can have it sized at the tattoo place. They can make it bigger or smaller. They will put it on your skin and if you don't like how it looks or location you can have them move it. None of my tattoos have been effected (i've lost 40lbs) but it depends on where you get it. That is the same answer as well for pain. Depends on where you get it. I have one on my foot that hurt a lot then one on my arm that didn't really bother me. If you are on or close to bone your going to have more pain than other places.
  • missar
    missar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Dont worry

Tattoo's are not really looked upon as "low class" as much now, its just the norm in society today and does not affect ones ability or personality and most people realize this in a working environment :)

Although I do recommend getting them in places not so visible for a woman, as I think it is more feminine (that is just my personal opinion)
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Dont worry

Tattoo's are not really looked upon as "low class" as much now, its just the norm and does not affect ones ability or personality and most people realise this :)
    Hahah my mother informed me that only sailors, hookers and bikes got tattoos, then when she finally saw it her response was, "Oh that's really nice, it doesn't look sleazy at all!"
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't feel embarrassed by asking the tattooist - if anything it makes you look smarter than a dumb-*kitten* that goes in with a bravado attitude.

It's worth testing it out by getting your boyfriend to write it on your skin anyway, but yeah tattooists work with original designs from paper all time.

regarding the placement - it's all down to personal taste, but i would agree since it's your first to seriously consider whether you want it that frequently on show. I have just one tattoo - on my lower back which I chose because I obviously don't see it unless I look in the mirror, so I don't get sick of it, and it's easily covered up. Loads of people have known me for years and never realised I had one until I showed it, which I like.

In terms of the pain - the best way I can describe it is like a cat scratching with reasonable pressure, and obviously for a few minutes. It's not too bad, epilators are pretty close in pain levels I think! My recommendation would be to take someone with you and get them to ask you questions so you have to think about something else - for some reason that really helped distract me.

But I'm sure the tattooist will have seen it all before!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of tattoos in my now ex's handwriting - I love them, I chose his handwriting as I liked it, neither are about our relationship/for him. But beware if it is FOR him as you may regret it. I got him to write it out clearly on paper and took it to my tattooist them they just blew it up.
    Pain is pretty subjective! Be careful with hands/neck as they are very hard to keep covered.
    Most importantly get something you like, where you like it. If you feel uncomfortable with anything, don't do it, or wait! I've got a number of tattoos, both visible and hidden, and have been getting tattooed for 10 years, I don't think I'm low class (though I might be :tongue: )
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I have 4 and two of mine are in place you can't see unless I'm in my swimmers or undies (the others are on my wrist and my foot). I agree that they are better in places you can't see for job interviews etc, as well as family funerals, weddings and formal occasions - its definately more feminine (I can cover mine up with stockings and a watch lol). I'm in Australia too so understand the mixed messages people give.

In regards to pain... I passed out while getting mine on my foot, the pain was unlike anything I've ever felt! My hip was ok, and my wrist by far the best. The other (just last week actually!) on the meaty part of my back, off to the side was ok for the most part. I find not looking helps with pain, so now I check Facebook regularly on my phone!! The one I had on my foot is a word (Penni - my dogs name) and I had the tattoo artist just write is straight on, then tattoo over it. Not sure if he used a special pen or not though.

In regards to weight loss.... I got the one on my hip prior to gaining 30kgs. I've since lost 20 (well was 24 before Chrissy!) and there has been no difference to it. It has not distorted in any way, stretched or shrunk. It's exactly the same now as it was. It's also a pretty symmetrical symbol so I would notice I assure you!!

A good artist will answer any questions you have and most will welcome a phone call or a quick drop in before committing too. I think I read somewhere you are in Newcastle? My best friend lives there and recently got one she is extremely happy with. If you are in Newcastle and want a recommendation let me know and I'll find out where she went. I've seen it and the colour is great as well as the quality.

Good luck and welcome to the club ;)
  • jaynewould
    Options
    Just get the thing where you can cover it up easily with clothes.

Cool, sure, but low class, and forget ever getting a real important position if the interviewer can see it.
    Tattoo people make great service workers but lousy executives for the most part.

Don't be offended - again, I HAVE ONE, and I love it!

Oh I hear you :) I spent high school at a private school (full of wannabe executives), and then a year and a half in business school (full of wannabe executives) before I dropped out and decided to become one of the non-executive masses. I reckon I'm okay with possibly being perceived as low-class :P No offense taken! I am planning on something quite small and easy to hide.

For the person who asked how serious the relationship was: the tattoo is also for our five-year anniversary, so I think it'll be okay. It will just say "I love you", which is a) non-name specific if we break up ("oh this? I got drunk one night partying with Johnny Depp and when I woke up I had this tattoo"), and b) will irritate the bejeesus out of anyone he might date after me. Joking! (Mostly.)

Thanks for everyone's input so far, and please feel free to chime in if you have anything else to add :D
  • MsD1984
    MsD1984 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have 22 tattoo's and have lost 210lbs... None of my tatts look awful now, but I haven't got any on my tummy - mostly arms, and back...
  • aaron_mc29
    aaron_mc29 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Oh I hear you :) I spent high school at a private school (full of wannabe executives), and then a year and a half in business school (full of wannabe executives) before I dropped out and decided to become one of the non-executive masses. I reckon I'm okay with possibly being perceived as low-class :P No offense taken! I am planning on something quite small and easy to hide.

My boss is a senior executive at a bank, not only are both his arms covered in tattoos, he just bought a tattoo parlour and has offered me mates' rates when I get my first! Suggest staying away from anything on your face or neck, for the first one at least.
  • chugglebunny
    Options
    My tattoo I have on the back of my neck just under my hair line. It is easily covered if I wear my hair down or in a low pont tail.

Everyone else's advice is spot on, be SUPER sure you want it. I thought about mine for about 6 years before I actually got it done. I figured it was worth waiting to see if I changed my mind once deciding before getting it done rather than regreting it for the rest of my life.

The only thing I wanted to add as someone who has one on my neck is that if you do decide to have it there, mine didn't hurt at all. You can't see any needles anyway, but you definitely can't when they are behind you. Mine felt like a light scratch at worst in places but over all was really quite pleasent. The vibrations on my neck felt a lot like a massage!

Take the design exactly how you want it on paper and they will sort it out for you. Just please be super sure you won't regret it one day.
  • horizonflight
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to wanting to get a tattoo. I will add, aside from what you've already listed, the inside of your arm near your arm pit supposedly also hurts like crazy (at least everyone I've spoken to - and I'm in the military and there's a lot of Soldiers who have tats there - has said that hurts like crazy). I also must agree that the needle striking near bones may hurt some too. I found - for myself, may be different for others - that the vibrations of the needle strokes is what makes it hurt. Always make a copy of what you want because it is a DIRECT representation of what you want on your body permanently. Definitely have your BF write it out on paper. Where ever you choose to get your tat, the artist will clean with soap water (spray bottle containing soap water) and shave. So having it written on your skin will only give you a representation of what it may look like when it's finished. Congrats ;) Post pictures after you get it :D
  • cherdan
    cherdan Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned about the subject matter of your tattoo than any other factor, honestly.
    I don't want to offend you, but other people have addressed this - if it's something that specifically relates to him/references him, I would strongly reconsider. With the exception of, say, your parents, your siblings, people are impermanent in our lives. Ink isn't, and as I'm sure you're aware, removal is not an option for the vast majority of people, as it is expensive and far more painful than the application.

Anywhere near a prominent bone is going to be more sensitive. I am very sensitive to pain. My large/illustrated piece was.. intense. The burn/sting was gradual. Mine took about 90 minutes, so it ebb'd and flowed. Mine is on my shoulderblade. But once he neared the top of it, right on the shoulder.. man! I had to keep asking him to stop. That part hurt like a mother****er. I was bleeding a bit all around when it was finished. All in all, it was.. tolerable, but I weighed about 70 lbs more then, than I do now. I haven't had anything done in about 3.5 years so I often wonder if I'd be a complete pansy now??
    My tattoo has "adjusted" well with my transformation, I think due to youth and relative elasticity on my side. It just looks way.. smaller now. It's kind of like a mini version of how it used to look. As long as you don't ever gain the weight back, I think it should look fine!

Back then, I had another freelance artist (with really ****ty work, might I add), tell me at a party that he bet my ink wasn't painful because, "well, you have a lot more.. padding than most girls." Thanks, *kitten*!

I also had a really good, relaxed environment and overall good experience that was pretty unique, as it was done out of a home, by a freelance artist. Some would argue with the safety/legitimacy of that, but I think I would have felt a lot more rushed/uncomfortable in some big busy shop.

I would say, above all, just don't do it just to do it. Be 100%, no 110% certain that it is what you want and you are happy with the design and his work. Don't be afraid to speak up if you are unhappy with something. I was shy/afraid and waited about a month before I grew the courage to tell him I was very unhappy with her mouth (in the portrait) and wanted a touch-up. He was happy to do that, without any extra charge, and it looked a million times better after it was exactly what I wanted!!
  • jaynewould
    Options

My boss is a senior executive at a bank, not only are both his arms covered in tattoos, he just bought a tattoo parlour and has offered me mates' rates when I get my first! Suggest staying away from anything on your face or neck, for the first one at least.

...Sooo, that's a no on the teardrop tattoo on my cheek? Fair enough then ;)

(As an aside, I once met an accountant with an elaborate cherry blossom design over his entire back. Maybe he progressed onto sleeves and then became your boss? Or maybe there's a whole subculture of corporate types with body art. I'd like to think so.)
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Where abouts near your hip do you want it? mines on my belly near my hip and having a baby buggered mine up, its all distorted on one side, thankfully nobody really see's it now lol x
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    I have four tattoos (top of foot, inside wrist, back of shoulder blade, and from shoulder blade to hip), and I found it didn't really matter how close to bone it was. My foot was quite painful, but my ribs (which they say is one of the most painful places) didn't hurt at all. When I was getting that one done I found the three closest to my hip were actually the most painful, because they were on a sensitive spot of the stomach. I definitely think it's different for everyone though.
  • lucyrose_
    lucyrose_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Seriously?! I have a lot of tattoos and am probably quite heavily tattooed compared to most people. But I work in an office, and have worked in very corporate environments, in one of which the manager had full sleeves. It's ridiculous to think that if someone has tattoos it makes them 'lower class' or less able or likely to work in an 'executive' position. You say 'no offence', but I am offended because a lot of my friends have tattoos or are tattoo artists, and I would never consider any of them to be lower class or only service workers?!

These days tattoos are definately not a sign of lower class... this isn't the 1950s!