Susan G. Komen 3 Day Walk

Options
I'd really like to do this, and I'm not at all worried about the sixty miles of walking. I am worried about the minimum $2300 fundraising, and that I'm personally responsible to make up the difference if I can't raise the full amount.

Has anyone ever done this walk, and how easy/hard was it to fundraise that amount? My friends and family are middle class, not wealthy, and many have felt the crunch of the economy. I think I could get a lot of $50 and $25 donations, but it would be tough to hit that $2300 number.

Thoughts?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's my cautionary tale. Two years ago I got a place in the London Marathon through the Alzheimer's Society, a cause close to my heart as my lovely mum died with the condition.

Throughout the fund-raising, I felt like and awful pimp foisting my fund-raising efforts on friends and family. There's also the perception they are paying for you to do something you wanted to do anyhow.

Because people had already donated online, I felt I couldn't pull out despite illness and injury, so I ended up pushing through while coughing up blood and nursing torn shoulder ligaments. I was so slow that by the time I got to the charity reception they'd all packed up and gone home - no hot pasta meal and no massage for me!

Now, my story is a bit extreme, and it's unlikely anyone else would have my bad luck! There's also the very positive element of the good cause helping motivate you.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off doing a fabulous event for a fabulous cause, but personally after my experience I'd never do it again other than voluntary donations for a place I already have, for example.
  • kfass
    kfass Posts: 5
    Options
    My aunt has done it twice. She also had to do all her fund raising. She had yard sales (people donated their unwanted stuff), made gift baskets, and asked for donations. She worked really hard.

She loves it and wants to continue to do one every year.

For training, she followed the plan they have on the website. Don't forget this. Even with heavy training (she walked almost every day and worked up to 24 miles a day) she had blisters and a bruised toe from the race.

It is a commitment and it takes sacrifice but is totally worth it and what an accomplishment! You can do it!!!
  • KFontaine679
    KFontaine679 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I did the walk in 2009 and also worried about fundraising, but ended up exceeding the required amount. You'll be surprised at how quickly every $25 and $50 donation add up. Aside from individual donations, here are a few other ways I raised money that were successful:
    1. Yard sale - I had a bunch of stuff to get rid of and also asked people to donate their stuff knowing all proceeds would go to the walk
    2. I hosted a show for a friend who sells bags. She got credit for the sales, but donated all of her commission to the walk.
    3. Every so often I would update my facebook status to how much I had raised so far and then would say something along the lines of "if each of my facebook friends donated $x, I will reach my goal."

The 3- Day is an amazing experience and one I will never forget.

Good luck to you!
  • rcrgirl84
    Options
    I've done the 3-Day twice now. First year in Philly and the next in DC - I took last year off. Join a team!! The fundraising is a huge thing that puts people off because its a HUGE commitment, but you'd be surprised how well you can do. Some fundraising tips:

Join a team!
    Once you join a team - take part in the fundraising events. Whether its sitting outside a salon or grocery store on a Saturday morning collecting donations or selling cookies or whatever!! The funds collected at these events are usually divided up by the team members that put in the time for the event.
    Ask your local restaurants / bars about doing a fundraising day. We've done it with Joe's Crab Shack and they'll donate between 10 - 20% of the day's sales to your team. All you do is print out and distribute flyers / coupons to your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. and they have to show them that day / night when they go.
    Let people who want to donate know that a lot of companies will match donations. If somebody donates that works at a big company and they match, if they donate $25, their company will match it. I think you can search on the www.the3day.org web site for companies that match.
    Teams also will get together and set up training walks - great way to get to know your team and some new people.

Some tips for the actual walk and the training that leads up to it. BUY COMFORTABLE SHOES!!!! At least 2 pairs. Wear those shoes in good - you do not want to walk in shoes that are brand new, etc. The 3-Day is affiliated with New Balance. Go to any of their stores and they will work with you for the best fit - you want to make sure you buy a shoe that's 1/2 or 1 size bigger than what you usually wear - your feet WILL swell. Haha, and don't be squeamish of blisters . . . you WILL get them.

I really is a great event and you will make life-long friends. I still get all teary eyed every time I hear the commercials on the radio or TV. I bawled my eyes out the day I watched the video on their site that they also show at the intro meeting.

Let me know if you have any questions or need some ideas!

Tasha
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have signed up for and raised the required funds twice, it wasn't easy but it was doable. And I wouldn't have been able to do it by just asking for donations. One year I did a comedy night with a silent auction and the the other year I had an 80's night.

And to add a little to what BerryH said. The first time I signed up to do it was in 2005, I ended up not being able to do it. Two weeks before I was put on bedrest for a complicated pregnancy (the pregnancy itself was a surprise) and even if I was comfortable doing it my doctor wouldn't allow it. Anyway, I emailed everyone that had donated to me and volunteered to refund their money. Fortunately no one took me up on it.

I am definitely going to do the one in Philly again, I am just trying to figure out when. Ultimately I would love to do one in every city.

Good luck!
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for the Chicago 3 day. This will be my first time and while it seems like a difficult task to raise $2300, it is definitely not impossible. Besides, it is a small price to pay for the cause. If anyone else is doing the 3-day (in Chicago or anywhere else I suppose) and wants to trade advice and support, feel free to add me.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I did the Twin Cities last year and am doing it again in August - we had 2 VERY successful events - we did a pub crawl and raised over $5K in one night - and a Beer Bash abd raised over $3K - people drinking WILL spend money :)

we sold party beads, shirts, koozies etc -- pm if you want more info :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    At this point, I refuse to give my money to Komen. I'm deeply disappointed that they're pandering to the religious right. I'm considering the Avon walk instead now.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    At this point, I refuse to give my money to Komen. I'm deeply disappointed that they're pandering to the religious right. I'm considering the Avon walk instead now.

this.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

I am entirely FOR the support of breast cancer sufferers / survivors. But Komen is not a place where I will send my funding any longer. They have sued for strange and unnecessary reasons, as well as the religious aspect - not what I want from a cancer charity. I want my funding to go to research and support.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did the MS Challenge Walk (50 miles in 3 days). Our fundraising requirement was 1500$, but I usually raised between 2000$ and 2500$. Some of the ideas out there for fundraising. Garage sale like mentioned, bake sale, ice cream social, do a brat stand at the local grocery store in the summer (OK I"m in Minnesota so we like brats in the summer!), big social event like getting a bowling alley to donate their place for a night and charge for people to come, same thing like bar fundraiser with silent auctions. I might have a pampered chef party, you can get 10% of the sales to your favorite charity rather than get the product credit.

I fundraised on facebook too, that helped.

You can do it! Just start early, and be persistent!

Julie
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

+1

Make sure you tell 100 friends exactly why.