5'8 Goals?

Options
littleali
littleali Posts: 179 Member
Just wondering what any other ladies goals are at 5'8? I'm currently 133 as of this morning but am still not happy and am aiming down towards 120-125 but I don't know if that would be too small for me. I started at 220+. Just curious as to where you all are/aiming!

Replies

• cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Only you can know but 133 is right at the bottom end of the normal BMI range. What is it that you aren't happy with? Do you think you need to tone more rather than lose weight?
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    geez, sounds alittle low for 5'8" I'm aiming for 155. I was 390lbs.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Im 5'7 and 142lb, my goal was 138 but changed to maintence now as seeing if I can maintain it reasonable. Im a UK size 12 and happy with that.

Its up to you - can you maintain comfortably any lower?

x
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8

I started at 150, my first goal was 140 but I wasn't happy with that so settled on 130.

126 I think is the lowest healthy weight for somebody our height so I really wouldn't advise going lower than that. My lowest was 129-130 and I was small, not too skinny but I definitely wouldn't have gone lower and I have a really small frame so I can usually look ok on the lower end of the healthy range.

I've been focusing more on muscle building recently, have gone back up to 150 with building muscle, look much better/smaller/more toned than I did at 150 before. I'm now cutting back down but aiming for approx 135 maybe higher and the extra muscle means you can weigh more but look better :)
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at 158lbs and I'm hoping to get down to around 140, which is a pretty healthy weight. I'm a size 12 in UK clothing.
    I started at 178 so I'm happy to have made some progress! :)
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    If that's you in the picture, you look like you have a fantastic figure at your current weight. If you're not happy with specific things, I agree with the poster who asked if you perhaps needed to focus on toning more rather than losing further weight. I'm 5'8" and have a very large frame with a lot of muscle, so my goal is somewhere around the 170 mark to start with. If that's maintainable, I may think about trying for 150-ish.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm currently a UK 10ish, an 8 in some things but I'm a pear so my hips/thighs are still problem areas for me which only seem to get worse with cardio/lifting and I guess I've just been assuming that the smaller I get, the smaller they'll get which is probably self damaging. It's just quite frustrating that you can't spot train! Ideally I'd like to be a solid UK 8 but thank you for putting things into perspective for me though!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Hmm, frustrating, I agree - maybe try pilates or something along those lines - I understand this can be excellent for refining problem areas without adding bulk. Good luck!
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Im 5.8, and at 187lbs ish, my goal is 160.

Reading through the posts, maybe I should reconsider? :P

Anyway, Try and focus on what you could happily live with, and I have big hips and thighs too!
  • victoria233
    Options
    My goal is 145-150. Just depends on your body and how you feel. I have friends how are shorter and weight 125-135, and to actually look SUUUPER thin - and with me being up to 4 or 5 inches taller than them I can imagine Id look quite sick at the weight.
  • girlontherun5
    girlontherun5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"7.5 and currently around 144, looking to get to a strong, toned 135 ish.
  • valwes04
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently 195 lbs. My goal is 160 lb. That is in the healthy weight range for me. I have a larger frame (wider shoulders, wide hips- have had 4 babies-, thighs, etc.)
    I lost a lot of weight about 4 years ago and got down to 158 lbs. People were saying how bony I looked and not very healthy. I'm also just about to be 32 and I don't want to be too thin as I don't want to look old, either.
    Overall, I think it is a personal preference as long as you are healthy and fit! Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • Eowyn99
    Eowyn99 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Go to a profesional nutritionist like I did. I'm 5'8 also. She measured my wrist bone and told me that I should be in 127 lbs because I'm a small frame size. If I was medium I should be 141 and large 156. So go and check that.
  • pMalak
    pMalak Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and right now 136. My goal is to be 128 for now. I remember 5 years ago I was 122lbs and I think my body then was perfect. But given that I was still growing I am giving myself few extra pounds. But that was my perspective. I've been told that my hip bones show too much. (I think it's just the way they are bc even when I started at 165 they were still showing a little regardless my huge stomach).

I think 120 would be way too little. You look really good. But it's about how you feel.
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and 133 (down from 160 initially). I hear your frustration with the pear-shaped aspect of it; that's me to a T! I wear extra small/small on top, but size 6 on the bottom. It seems like whatever weight I get to, I still have hips and thighs and bootie. I think that genetics comes in there somewhere, and that if you're eating well and exercising, your body might just be happy where it's at. You could lose more weight, I'm sure, but you might be sacrificing your feminine allure; some curves are appealing, after all.

Good luck!
  • AimeeCarolyn
    AimeeCarolyn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to be between 128-130lbs when I'm finished. I have a small frame. I also found some old pics of myself at that weight, and I think it's a healthy and attainable goal. Mostly though, we'll just see how I'm doing muscle-wise too... whatever I finally feel comfortable at is ultimately what matters to me... even if it means weighing more.
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Depends on your frame, really. If your frame's small, then of course a lower weight is a more realistic goal.
    But don't go underweight on purpose. Make sure your BMI stays in the healthy range, even the low end of it. You already sound very light for your height.
    If you're not happy with your body now, focus on losing body fat instead of weight in general. Try gaining muscle- you'll definitely look better after that.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    125-130 lbs but I do want to tone up at the same time so whatever weight I'll be then. I'm also 5' 8.

Then again, I want to get into sports coaching or personal training so really more focused on toning and getting my body fat % below 10.
  • KarenPostmus
    Options
    You know, curves are your friend:) Personally, and I realize that we're all different, I like my curves, just would like to be a little less all around. I definitely have the curvy rear & hips going on, but I'm learning to love them. My goal is to get to 155. Maybe you can learn to like your curves too! Perhaps do what some of the others suggested, pilates or something like that to tone up a bit?!
  • clairendrsn
    clairendrsn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8 and my goal weight is 135 (cw is 138). I would love to get to 125 or 130 but I'm not sure how realistic that is for me. I was 125 after uni but I wasn't particularly healthy.

I think you look fantastic where you are now :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!