Day one and struggling!

Options

Replies

• 15Pauline
    Options
    Yesterday was my day 1 and I did well all day (I was even under my allotted calories) until I caved and had a snack at 11pm that put me over- I wasn't hungry - the snack was calling me for 3 hours from my cupboard. Anyway, today is a new day- I have tried tea in the past to curb my cravings and it has worked- I will be trying that again today.
  • Lilflowr
    Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Green tea? seems to help me A LOT!!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I agree with drinking tons of water and set your weight loss goal at 1/2 lb for a week till you get over this hump and get into a routine. ... Decide you want to do this.. then do it! ! We're right there with ya!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Make sure your settings are fixed for a half a pound - yes 1/2 pound of weight loss per week.
    Do this for 1 month to help you over this hump.

Too often people get all hot and bothered come Jan 1st, set unreasonable goals, then starve themselves before failing totally by March. Slow down.

Go to a half a pound and just hold that pattern for a few weeks, then go to 1 for a month, then 1 and a half, then 2, then back down to a half. The key is always to trend down without starving yourself and messing up your metabolism.

And make sure you're eating back your exercise calories.
    [/quote]

This!
  • pmissyUK
    pmissyUK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I know that part of my problem is carbs so I am trying to reduce the amount I eat particularly in the second half of the day. And I know that these feelings are just withdrawals but it is SO hard! I'm also the only one in the office today which doesn't help - even though I'm busy I'm still thinking about my tummy!

Am trying to drink lots of water and will fill up at dinner on protein. I MUST stick with it.

Thanks again
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Like you, I've lost weight several times before but I didn't a maintain my body and gained it back, plus more. The first couple of days were the hardest for me. My body had a hard time adjusting to not having all the bad food I had been feeding it. Here's how I got over that initial bump: Lots of water and salad, I'd have some string cheese for a quick snack to help take the edge off of hunger. I'd take a walk, it helped me get my mind off food, plusI was burning some calories.
    You can do this!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I've been working at this about a month now. I used to feel ravenously hungry very often. One thing that has helped me is to eat little tiny bites and chew them until they are almost nothing. It takes me over 30 minutes to eat a sandwich! BUT... I don't seem to get hungry between meals. It felt really weird at first, and I thought it wasn't working.. until I stood up and realized how full I felt. It's been amazing for me. After I eat, I wait at least a half hour before I have anything to drink and I don't drink anything with my meals. I am trying to get in that magic 8 glasses of water a day but most days I'm only getting 4-5.. it's a start! All the best to you as you begin this journey to better health and wellness!
  • Brianthill
    Brianthill Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Work out HARD and you won't even want to eat that crap. I was the biggest junk food/fast food/crap food eater in the world until I started getting my butt kicked every morning. Now I can hardly even smell that food let alone eat it.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    take it one day at a time and do your best. over time, your body will adjust to fewer calories...especially if you're eating foods that give you more nutritious buck for your calorie bite (more on this in a bit). As someone suggested above, its probably best to set your goal to losing half a pound (or, at most, a pound) per week to get through the adjustment period. As you adjust, you can reduce more. If this is truly a lifestyle change for you, then working your way into the journey slowly will be worth it.

as far as getting more nutritious buck for your calorie bite, I recommend eating lean protein (i.e., chicken, fish, ground turkey/chicken, protein mix), healthy fats (i.e., EVOO, nuts), and carbs that have a low glycemic index value with fiber (i.e., berries and veggies). If you do more of your own cooking and rely less on processed foods, chances are that you will find a nutrition plan that is both: (a) under your calorie goal; and (b) keeps you full. I would offer to have you look at my food diary, but I basically went "off the grid" from Dec. 23 through Jan. 1, didn't log most things, and ate poorly. If you go back before Dec. 23, you can get a good idea of what I do most days. You can also see links to my blog on my profile page where I have blogs on some foods that I cook...that are pretty easy to make.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    When you're hungry you need to eat. It's not about starving yourself, it's about eating healthy.
    Make a healthy choice in a snack and eat it.
    Make sure you drink some water too. A lot of times we confuse hunger for thirst. Make sure you're well hydrated.

You got this!

Very nicely said!
  • chrisjagt
    chrisjagt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as a friend. And be totally honest with yourself. If you screw up a meal or give into a craving just track it and move on.. Having a pal or 2 to keep you honest is a great way to be on top of your cravings.
  • wannagofast27
    Options
    I try to remind myself that I didn't get this way overnight and I'm not going to undo it overnight. I also recommend drinking water to excess, this will create a full feeling. Clean out your kitchen, replace the leftover Christmas cookies with carrots and Triscuits. Starting is the hardest part for me, after about a week and a half I start feeling better and its not as much of a challenge.
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    First days are toughest. Lots of water and keep busy. Hang in there!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When you're hungry you need to eat. It's not about starving yourself, it's about eating healthy.
    Make a healthy choice in a snack and eat it.
    Make sure you drink some water too. A lot of times we confuse hunger for thirst. Make sure you're well hydrated.

You got this!

Agree!!

The first days are the hardest as your body adjusts and learns to get rid of the things your used to eating... eating carbs makes you crave carbs its a horrible cycle. Once you start flushing your body of all these bad foods it will get easier.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

This is not my first time trying to eat healthily and lose a few kgs (notice my avoidance of the word diet!), but it's my first time using MFP.

Today is first day and I am desperately craving food of any stodgy variety. I can no longer tell whether I'm really hungry or not. I know it will pass as I have lost weight before (only to put it all back on) but don't remember it being this hard right at the beginning.

I don't want to eat any more as I need to make sure I have enough left for dinner.
    Thanks for listening :)
    Make sure your settings are fixed for a half a pound - yes 1/2 pound of weight loss per week.
    Do this for 1 month to help you over this hump.

Too often people get all hot and bothered come Jan 1st, set unreasonable goals, then starve themselves before failing totally by March. Slow down.

Go to a half a pound and just hold that pattern for a few weeks, then go to 1 for a month, then 1 and a half, then 2, then back down to a half. The key is always to trend down without starving yourself and messing up your metabolism.

And make sure you're eating back your exercise calories.

This is really good advice. If you try to do too much at once, you'll be biting off more than you can chew (no pun intended!) and will be more likely to give up. Just start making small changes and see where that takes you.

I'd suggest getting a good heartrate monitor or a Bodybugg/BodyMedia armband (I have the BodyMedia armband). These will help you see how many calories you are burning when you work out so you know if the exercise calories you are eating back are the right amount or not. The Bodybugg/BodyMedia armbands are worn all day and night so you know how much you burn in the full 24 hour period, while a heartrate monitor is worn solely during workouts (on my BodyMedia, I zero the trip meter on the display when I start my workout, then check it when I finish my workout so I know my burn for just the workout).

Good luck!
  • SkinnyGirlFatBody
    SkinnyGirlFatBody Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I found when I was just starting that it was very helpful to have tons of veggies and fruits on hand. When I felt like I really want to walk down the street and grab a bag of chips(chips are my weakness), I would walk to the kitchen pour myself a glass of water, sit down and drink if slowly. If then I decided that I was actually hungry and it wasn't just a craving, I would pick a piece of fruit and tell myself this is all I get for a snack.

I don't know if that is helpful to you, but it helped me get through a good chunk of the cravings.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a DIET...It's a lifestyle change! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Br00zR
    Br00zR Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is about finding the right foods for you.

I too am the kind of person who needs to feel like I've eaten. Salads etc leave me wanting more and lunch has always been a nightmare.

I found teh best low calorie lunch was to have a wrap (instead of bread) with either tuna or chicken, light mayo and loads of peppers, tomatoes etc accompanied by a pack of snackajacks. It's low calorie food but it actually feels like you've eaten and helped keep the hunger away.
  • PaPenguin
    PaPenguin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eat a good breakfast. Lots of protein and don't be afraid of fat. Cut way back on carbs, but increase substantially your fiber intake. Shoot for 30 grams daily at first and try to get it up over 40 grams eventually. For instance, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, ham, etc. will carry you from breakfast to lunch without feeling like you are starving. Lunch is a good time to get your fiber from vegetables, fruit, grains. Get some high fiber wraps or bread that have maybe 15 total carbs and 7 fiber resulting in net carbs of only 8. Forget cakes, cookies, donuts, candy and other high sugar junk.
  • pmissyUK
    pmissyUK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a heartrate monitor which I do find really useful! Thanks for the tips.