How do you eat all your calories?

Options
REBEE17
REBEE17 Posts: 101 Member
Normally, I haven't had an issue with this. I just started a boot camp where I burn around 900 calories a class, 4 days a week.

Yesterday, I ate normally, close to 1000 cals during the day. Went to boot camp BEFORE dinner and came home. Logged my calories burned and MFP said I had only netted 130 cals. Now I still had dinner to eat, so I wound up netting like 830 cals for the day.

That still seems so low.

How should I get more calories in on the days I have boot camp without eating crap?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    peanut butter...2 spoons...200 calories...BOOM
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Calories do not equal crap food. You need nutrient dense, HEALTHY foods, like nuts, nut butters, avocados, use olive oil to cook in, full fat dairy products, etc.
  • REBEE17
    Options
    peanut butter...2 spoons...200 calories...BOOM

I love peanut butter. This would work! Thanks.
  • REBEE17
    Options
    You need nutrient dense, HEALTHY foods, like nuts, nut butters, avocados, use olive oil to cook in, full fat dairy products, etc.

I guess that is how I wanted to word it.
    What foods should I incorporate that are high in calories, but healthy for me?

I like almonds- I will look into that as well.
    Thank you.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    This is a constant struggle for me. I've added quinoa and chia into my diet. I add a second protein shake, mainly because I"m eating on the run too.

I don't eat dairy, and only minimal grass fed red meat and my household is gluten free, so I only have wheat products if I eat out. I'm constantly trying to increase those calories. Peanut butter I love, but frankly, with so many food allergies from peanuts, I skip it most of the time and have other options like Hummus or Black Beans to my salad.

I'm presently doing doubles for my routines - P90X2 and Race Training, it's not easy, and you're so not alone.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of chocolate milk in the fridge for when I need to boost my calories.

Also a protein bar in my gym bag/purse.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk. it'll get the cals you need, and studies prove it's darn near perfect for your body to recover after a work out.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you do this, as your diary is private, but maybe start eating the non diet foods. I know when I needed to up my cals it was the most obvious answer- stop drinking fat free milk, eating only the egg white, etc. I started eating the whole darn egg and drinking 2 %. Those calories sure added up!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    One bite at a time.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Protein shakes and/or meal replacements.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals ahead of time so you're eating more through the whole day when you know you're going to have a big burn. It's a lot easier to eat an extra 100-200 calories per meal and incorporate a few extra snacks than try to catch up with an extra 900.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I burned over 4000 cal yesterday so obviously not gonna be able to eat all of that. i eat unitl i am satisfied and try to meet all my macros and try to not eat less than 1200
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I burned over 4000 cal yesterday so obviously not gonna be able to eat all of that. i eat unitl i am satisfied and try to meet all my macros and try to not eat less than 1200
    sorry misunderstood the question
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Don't eat diet food, and pre-log your meals and exercise so you aren't trying to eat 1000+ calories at the end of the day just to meet your goal. Since you know that you are going to burn a lot in your boot camp workouts, you can plan ahead and spread those calories out throughout the day. Have a glass of milk or 100% fruit juice instead of water (yes, it "counts") - easy 100-150 cals. Put olive oil or butter on your vegetables and potatoes - 1Tbsp is about 110 cals. You don't necessarily have to eat more food (volume) or resort to junk to get your calories in.

annabellj - how in the world did you burn over 4000 calories? You'd have to be knocking out 6-7 minute miles for 3 1/2 hours to do that. Or did you mean 4000 total (including your BMR and daily activities)? That's still an awful lot of exercise.
  • REBEE17
    Options
    I'm not sure if you do this, as your diary is private, but maybe start eating the non diet foods. I know when I needed to up my cals it was the most obvious answer- stop drinking fat free milk, eating only the egg white, etc. I started eating the whole darn egg and drinking 2 %. Those calories sure added up!

I always forget about not eating "diet" foods when I need more cals.
    Thanks for the reminder.
  • REBEE17
    Options
    agthorn- I've burned that much in one day. Hiking. It's awesome :)
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, man I wish. I can't have it in the house or I'll eat the entire jar. I'm struggling too with adding calories. I typically drink the light soy milk so maybe I'll try the regular and also eat the entire egg.
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    my fav snack is peanut butter and apples! mmm mmm mmm! very easy way to eat up calories, in a good way :bigsmile:
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    trust me, your appetite will increase soon enough as a result of the exercise. :) mine did, anyway!
  • MichelleKMo
    MichelleKMo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals ahead of time so you're eating more through the whole day when you know you're going to have a big burn. It's a lot easier to eat an extra 100-200 calories per meal and incorporate a few extra snacks than try to catch up with an extra 900.

This is what I do. I was in the same boat --- too many "left over" at the end of the day. I didn't (don't) plan it out exactly tho' - because when something comes up and my work-out is cut short, or cut out all together (work, kids, etc.) -- then I'm not way out of whack the other way :)