Cutting all flour based products for 2012

Options
1235»

Replies

• jjf2905
    Options
    Maybe instead of cutting it all out, try gluten free. My nephew just started a gluten free diet due to medical reasons but he has seen a change in his weight from it. They have bread, pasta, cereal, sweets ect. lots of stuff that you can eat
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Plus I was able to eat MORE calories on Atkins and lost the weight FASTER
    Unless physics and biology have changed, 3500 calories still equals 1 pound of fat loss. You might have FELT like you were eating more calories because protein and fat tend to offer more satiety than carbs (especially simple carbs) but I guarantee you weren't. That is what "no metabolic advantage" means. And you lost weight more rapidly because you lost more water weight due to the restricted carbs, which store water molecules. Now that you have introduced a higher level of carbs, you are also storing more water molecules. It has nothing to do with fat loss or health.

It's not rocket science, it's just science.
  • queennahs
    queennahs Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Life without a crusty piece of French bread and a glass of wine is just not worth living.

THIS

...although I indulge in crusty French bread maybe twice a year as a 'treat'. For the rest, it's all wholegrains, brown rice etc.

I went 'no bread/cakes/cookies/noodles/pasta/rice' etc for a while and I did feel a lot better... and who wouldn't, when cutting out highly processed grains and refined sugar?! Then my doctor told me I need to include wholegrains, including wholegrain breads, back into my diet to help naturally deal with my inherited high cholesterol. So, I agree with the posters who are encouraging you to still include small servings of low GI, complex carbohydrates in your diet while cutting down on / out the "white stuff". I think this approach will also help you manage those cravings for mac & cheese. :)
  • rico1923
    Options

Unless physics and biology have changed, 3500 calories still equals 1 pound of fat loss. You might have FELT like you were eating more calories because protein and fat tend to offer more satiety than carbs (especially simple carbs) but I guarantee you weren't. That is what "no metabolic advantage" means. And you lost weight more rapidly because you lost more water weight due to the restricted carbs, which store water molecules. Now that you have introduced a higher level of carbs, you are also storing more water molecules. It has nothing to do with fat loss or health.

It's not rocket science, it's just science.

Speaking of science I believe that some people like the Atkins/South Beach diet systems because losing the water weight/seeing a difference in inches earlier in your dietary change is a greater motivating factor to stick to the diet long term than just increasing activity and decreasing calories; it is also easier to reach a reasonable daily caloric goal if you eliminate the more calorie ridden but less nutritionally dense foods that contain simple carbs in abundance. Since Atkins has been greatly revised to lessen the level of ketosis it creates and South Beach has always had some amount of carbs (even during the initial 2 week adjustment period) both have not really been shown to be damaging to one's health conclusively. In fact both have been shown to lessen the risk of type 2 diabetes(a dietary illness in most, not genetic), cholesterol reduction and heart disease. A metabolic advantage of simple carb reduction is that your blood glucose levels do not spike nor crash as frequently due to carb energy being introduced into your system more slowly as your body works harder to release the food's energy.

If someone on this site prefers to eat fast food every day or enjoy Olive Garder/Red Lobster meals with bread, butter, sauces containing sugar/fat, etc. that is their right; if someone wishes to try and reduce their calories by trying a low carb approach that is their right. Not rocket science, just science. And common courtesy.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Cutting this stuff out all day all the time, NO. (Helloooo birthday cake and Thanksgiving!)

Cutting it out to fill in your day with better options? Yep, that's me most days of the week. Breads, pastries, sweets, cookies, pasta, etc. (personally) do not leave me feeling full and make me crave more and more carbs. So I can get behind the sentiment of wanting to avoid them most days.

Gluten also makes me feel crappy. I still eat it sometimes, but then I end up sick afterward. Sometimes it's just not worth it, but in some cases it is (see the birthday cake comment).

I like rice, sunflower bread, quinoa, and corn-based breads/tortillas as alternatives.
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three of a 28 day detox diet. This week I'm not eating processed food or beverages, added sugar, dairy, gluten, caffeine, or alcohol. I am focusing on eating fruits, vegetables, and plant-based fats (nuts, seeds, and oils). Week 2, I'll add back in beans/legumes and seafood. Week 3, I'll add back in gluten-free grains and eggs. Week 4, I will add back in gluten products and meats.

I like this approach, because it's a doable plan for a short duration. I'm hoping that by the end of the month, I won't feel the need to add back in gluten and meats. Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Cutting this stuff out all day all the time, NO. (Helloooo birthday cake and Thanksgiving!)

Cutting it out to fill in your day with better options? Yep, that's me most days of the week. Breads, pastries, sweets, cookies, pasta, etc. (personally) do not leave me feeling full and make me crave more and more carbs. So I can get behind the sentiment of wanting to avoid them most days.

I feel exactly the same as this.
  • hellokittyhorror
    hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am trying to cut out refined flour for 2012 as well. It is not easy! I started yesterday and broke down with moo shoo vegetable pancakes :( . Here's a good article on refined flour vs. whole grain flour:

http://www.naturallyintense.net/blog/weight-loss/can-bread-make-you-gain-weight/

I thought about cutting out refined sugar (ie. in my coffee) but I don't think I can handle that now. So I'll just stick to avoiding refined flour.

Good luck with cutting out the flours and Happy 2012!