When will I reach my goal weight?/Suggestions for changes I

Options
I'd love anyone's opinions on when I'll reach my goal weight (assuming I follow MFP's 1200 net calories a day).
I'm 5'8", 18 y.o. female, and currently 177 pounds. My goal weight is 150.
I exercise 5-6 days a week, 1-2 hours (usually burn 500-1200 calories from exercise).

Recently I've become quite frustrated at how stagnant my weight has been, even though I log my food and exercise and MFP always tells me that I should reach 160-162ish in 5 weeks. I've been logging since late November and I haven't seen any significant change.

I'd also love any suggestions for changes I can make to help me lose more weight.
Thank you so much!!!

Replies

• sheystar
    Options
    you should also take note of your metabolism. the faster it is, the more you'll lose weight. try speeding it up by eating small meals frequently ^^ good luck!
  • racheldebuc
    racheldebuc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi. I didnt want to read and run and im definitely no expert but have you tried changing the type of exercise you do. Sometimes your body can get used to a certain type and it needs a shake up to get the weight loss started again. I may be completely wrong but its an idea.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Since you have 27lbs to lose your goal should be no more than 1lb/week (this may give you more than 1200 cals, which is a good thing), then once you get to your last 10-15 this should change to 0.5lbs/week. so assuming you do the 1lb/week until you have 10 to go it will take 17 weeks then another 20 to lose the last 10 for a total of 37 weeks to hit your goal weight.
  • deekaydee
    deekaydee Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

I am 5'7" and started at 182 lbs. I am now 155.

1200 calories is not enough. Is that for 2 lbs/wk loss? If you only have 27 lbs to lose, you should set your goal to 1 lb/wk. That should give you more calories.

I could not do 1200. I started off at 1300-1400 and ate back my exercise calories (which added back 300-400 per day). I'm eating between 1600-1800 calories on days that I exercise.

Once I got down to between 10-15 lbs to lose (my goal is 145), I switched to .5 lb per week. I'm losing slower, but I feel great. It's not worth it to cut calories down too much -- you feel sluggish and tired, and then your body just gets used to fewer calories. Don't train your body that you're only going to feed it 1200 calories a day! It will listen to you, and will adjust itself to that kind of an intake!

If you are currently 177, and MFP is telling you 160ish in 5 weeks, that is 17 lbs in 5 weeks, for 3.4 loss average per week. That's not gonna happen and is not healthy for the stage you are at.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

I am 5'7" and started at 182 lbs. I am now 155.

1200 calories is not enough. Is that for 2 lbs/wk loss? If you only have 27 lbs to lose, you should set your goal to 1 lb/wk. That should give you more calories.

I could not do 1200. I started off at 1300-1400 and ate back my exercise calories (which added back 300-400 per day). I'm eating between 1600-1800 calories on days that I exercise.

Once I got down to between 10-15 lbs to lose (my goal is 145), I switched to .5 lb per week. I'm losing slower, but I feel great. It's not worth it to cut calories down too much -- you feel sluggish and tired, and then your body just gets used to fewer calories. Don't train your body that you're only going to feed it 1200 calories a day! It will listen to you, and will adjust itself to that kind of an intake!

If you are currently 177, and MFP is telling you 160ish in 5 weeks, that is 17 lbs in 5 weeks, for 3.4 loss average per week. That's not gonna happen and is not healthy for the stage you are at.

Good points.

With my earlier post it is also assumed you are eating back the cals you burn from exercise. Having too large of a deficit will lead to a loss of a lot of muscle, which means eating less may get you to your goal weight quicker, but doing the slow and steady suggested you will be a lower Body fat % at your goal weight. So you should ask yourself, do you want to lose weight, or lose fat?