Any success from 30 day shred

Options
I'm curious, Did anyone really lose 20 pounds in 30 days? That's about how much I want to lose, so it would be awesome if it is really possible. Or how much did you end up losing in 30 days?

Replies

• Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I only lost about 7 lbs, but I lost about 13 total inches in waist, arms, legs and chest.
    The first 2 weeks I gained weight (about a lb/week). I re-measured after 2 weeks and had lost 9 total inches.
    I did not do it 30 days straight, I had some lingering knee issues from a previous injury and spread the shred over 42 days.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I doubt I will lose 20 lbs in 30 days, even if I were to do 30DS for 30 days straight. But I do expect to develop some tone as opposed to just dropping fat, kwim?
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I did not lose much weight, but I lost A LOT of inches. I say go for it, take "before" measurements and pictures, you'll be glad you did!
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add in addition to the inches lost there was also major toning.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You're only going to lose 20 lbs in 30 days if you create a deficit of 70,000 calories over the course of the month. Doing the Shred alone is not going to burn that many calories, even if you do it every day. You have to help that deficit along by tracking your calories. ALSO, you're not going to lose 20 lbs in 30 days if ALL you are trying to lose is 20 lbs. It's not healthy to lose the weight that fast if that's all you have to lose. Now, if you have like 100 lbs to lose, it might be possible. Basically, the more weight you have to lose, the FASTER you can lose it. Ever watch the Biggest Loser? Those people are tracking every little bite that goes into their mouths, working out for HOURS every day, supervised by drs not to mention their trainers, and in the same week of everyone doing the same things a BIG guy might lose 15 lbs while a woman that's smaller than the big guy might be happy to lose 4 lbs. The bigger you are, the faster you can lose. B/c it's easier to create a larger calorie deficit.

It took me 37 days to complete the 30 day shred (had a couple of rest days) and I lost 5 lbs, but that's about right for me b/c I started out only needing to lose around 20 more. I already knew I wasn't going to lose that entire 20 lbs in 30 days, it's not realistic when I'm getting that close to my goal. I did lose a BUNCH of inches in all the right places though - 2" off my butt/hips, 2" off my belly at the navel, over 1" off my thighs, etc. The EXERCISES will make you lose inches, what you do with your CALORIES (consumption vs. burn) will determine your actual weightloss. Hope that helps. :-)

Definitely take your measurements before you begin, that's where you are gonig to see BIG changes. Even if your scale does not move as much as you'd like, you will find your clothes fitting more loosely and looking better on you. :-)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've just lost a couple inches but I only have about 8 or 9 lbs to lose anyway... so if you're close to your goal you won't see a big drop in lbs... just inches. You'll add on some muscle hopefully, and of course, muscle weighs more than fat, so... it will however change your appearance rather quickly, I looked more "toned" in a few places within days... for me, that was the motivation... and the fact that in a few days the workout was easy... so my body acclimated to it and it wasn't hard anymore. To me, that was the triumph. :-)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I lost about 6 lbs and needed to take breaks because of knee and lower back issues. I gained 1lb the first week but this seems common. You will be more toned, lose inches and increase your stamina. You will see the increase in stamina the 1st week to 10 days, becasue the first few few days, to quote Jillian, "you will feel as if you are going to die!" LOL!
  • jrfromnh
    jrfromnh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where do you find this 30 day shred program??
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It is a DVD by Jillian Michaels

I am not sure how much I lost but it massively kick started my weightloss. I lost so many inches.
  • Brandib1985
    Brandib1985 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can get it on Amazon or at WalMart or Target. Its about 10.00. I lost 8.75 inches and it took me about 1.5 months to do. Its hard but tones you amazingly
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm one week into it and noticed a huge difference in my body and the way my clothes fit already
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I did 30DS everyday for 30 days and really toned up. Not so much weight loss but great results other wise. 20lbs in 30 days doesn't seem to realistic or healthy hun.
  • theycallmeswampy
    Options
    I'm seriously looking at doing this, is there a more up to date version that 2009?? That's the latest addition I can find on Amazon...
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I only lost about 5-7 pounds every time I did the 30DS.
  • alecdean
    Options
    Did this in 2010 - in about 6 weeks, lost 16 lbs. Of course, I watched what I ate as well and did surplus it with some treadmill time. I'm about to start it again. Like everyone says, the first few days, you want to punch her through the tv. After that, you really feel an increase in your endurance. I know when I do mine tonight, I'll be dying during the 2nd set, but once you get to the 3rd set, you just want to push through and it's TOTALLY worth it.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously looking at doing this, is there a more up to date version that 2009?? That's the latest addition I can find on Amazon...

The newest Jillian Michaels workout is Extreme Shed and Shred - it just came out last month. There's also Ripped in 30 which came out in March 2011, a lot of people seem to like to do that one after they finish the 30 Day Shred. And I believe she's coming out with a Kickboxing workout in March. But it's not like squats and lunges go out of style LOL the 30 day shred still works just fine. Jillian has several other workouts out there, too, if you're looking for a little variety.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't know about 3DS, but I did Ripped in 30 and noticed a huge difference in my muscles. I have them everywhere now and they are defined. I didn't do it in 30 days due to injuries here and there (not from the program), and I didn't follow her silly meal plans though. I don't have the pounds or inches handy but it's clear that there was a huge change. I will continue the program to keep my muscles up.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options

There isn't anything to update, really. She's not breaking any barriers--you're just jumping around and lifting your body weight for 20 minutes. I'm not saying it's not hard (sooo hard), or that it's not a great thing (it is!), but it's the same thing people have been doing for years. It doesn't depend on any fad workout--it will be relevant to weight loss for years and years.
  • LesaLBrown
    Options
    How many calories do you think you burn doing the 30 day shred level 1?
  • Owning2012
    Options
    Could a beginner do this? Like, someone EXTREMELY inactive? I'm about 30-35 pounds overweight and about 50 pounds from what I consider to be a healthy weight. I haven't exercised in like a year. I bought the DVD over a year ago and never did it. Also bought the Jillian Michaels weight set (the dumb bells or whatever)