It is what it is PEOPLE!

Options
I wish when people entered a food in the data base they would enter the correct info! You can shave off as many calories as you want people, but If you eat it... It is what it is, doesn't matter how many calories you entered.

Makes is a pain in the *kitten* to enter your food info!

Replies

• Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    what are you talking about?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just remember that there are a lot of regional variations in food, and this is an international website. Even if the food is the same brand and same name doesn't mean it has the same nutrition info. One example is Nutella - I looked it up one time, and they have slightly different recipes for different parts of the world. Even within the US, there are regional differences for some foods/brands. Obviously, some people enter blatantly wrong information, but some differences are legitimate.

This is why I ALWAYS verify that foods match what I'm using before logging them. It really doesn't take too long, and after awhile your favorites/recently used list will be populated with foods that you know are accurate.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Just remember that there are a lot of regional variations in food, and this is an international website. Even if the food is the same brand and same name doesn't mean it has the same nutrition info. One example is Nutella - I looked it up one time, and they have slightly different recipes for different parts of the world. Even within the US, there are regional differences for some foods/brands. Obviously, some people enter blatantly wrong information, but some differences are legitimate.

This is why I ALWAYS verify that foods match what I'm using before logging them. It really doesn't take too long, and after awhile your favorites/recently used list will be populated with foods that you know are accurate.

This. Also, verify against the nutritional data on the label in front of you. If it doesn't match or you can't find a match, create one.
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    Trying to enter 3 oz pork chop. Bone in.

I looked up like 7 of them and none of them came up right or even close.

I finally just looked it up on a "ligitimate" web site, and adjusted as close as I could.

(sorry... in a mood today!)
  • TeresaWash
    Options

This. Also, verify against the nutritional data on the label in front of you. If it doesn't match or you can't find a match, create one.

Yes... but I think too many "create". I just adjust the quantity until I come close. It just rubbed me wrong today. I do LOVE MFP.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I finally just looked it up on a "ligitimate" web site, and adjusted as close as I could.

For things like meats, cheeses, produce, etc. your best bet is to go with the MFP-entered listings - these ones *do not* have an asterisk next to the name, and are accurate. All of the foods listed with an asterisk are user-entered.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You think ALL pork chops are identical?
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I agree withthe previous poster in regards to regional differences...however, what I think the OP was referring to are the shockingly inaccurate entries...just today I clicked on an entry for Generic Margherita Pizza and the result was 33 calories/slice :noway: . Some people post questional calorie, fat, etc counts for items to help shave calories off their intake.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    well, the way i see it is that it's nobody's responsibility but your own to make sure your food diary data is entered correctly. Sure, it's convenient to use data someone else has already entered, but at the end of the day, it's not THEIR responsibility to make sure YOUR calorie count is accurate.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i just adjust to what is on here as a guidline but not hold it down to the last calorie.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes... but I think too many "create". I just adjust the quantity until I come close. It just rubbed me wrong today. I do LOVE MFP.
    If you don't want to clutter the database, you can create a new food and just not share it.
  • TeresaWash
    Options

For things like meats, cheeses, produce, etc. your best bet is to go with the MFP-entered listings - these ones *do not* have an asterisk next to the name, and are accurate. All of the foods listed with an asterisk are user-entered.

Hey... thanks! I did not know that! That helps!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    You think ALL pork chops are identical?
    Hardly, but I do thing. 1 oz of bone in pork chop should not vary by 200 calories. I'm funny that way.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Ya know, that didn't occur to me, that food in other areas of the country and world may have the same name and different nutritional info. To save time, I have been taking people's word for it most of the time, but sometimes I hit one that is obviously way off. Frustrating. I may go back to checking with my calorie count book-- just takes longer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I wish when people entered a food in the data base they would enter the correct info! You can shave off as many calories as you want people, but If you eat it... It is what it is, doesn't matter how many calories you entered.

Makes is a pain in the *kitten* to enter your food info!

I LOVE it when people have so obviously find the lowest cal option they can to log... like you say, they have eaten it and they have eaten the actual number of calories regardless of what they log!! you just have to laugh!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    well, the way i see it is that it's nobody's responsibility but your own to make sure your food diary data is entered correctly. Sure, it's convenient to use data someone else has already entered, but at the end of the day, it's not THEIR responsibility to make sure YOUR calorie count is accurate.

You are absolutely right, and that is what I did.
  • coachpzizzle
    coachpzizzle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think the author is necessarily pushing responsibility onto others. I get frustrated when I am looking for something so I can make a good choice (say, in a restaurant). I rely on MFP databases to help me inform myself. The purpose of a database like this is so that people DON'T have to reinvent the wheel constantly and can choose from previously entered items. It's supposed to build on itself.

I hear ya @TeresaWash. Why enter blatantly incorrect info. It's not magic, it adds up whether you count it or not.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    When i get home from the grocery store, i scan all my items on my smart phone and put it in my items. then, when I eat them, i can just look them up and adjust for quantity.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    One thing, I know I didn't get fat eating pork chops. Tracking food is so great...just the act alone ensures I won't eat as much (and I'm referring to chocolate usually, don't have a problem with other food for the most part!)
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I agree! And its really annoying...they're only fooling themselves...