omg I'm hungry!!!!!!

Options
This would be my official day 1 of changing my food habits, and honestly I feel like I was on drugs and now going through withdrawals. I am not to sure what to eat, or what foods have low to no calories. I feel like 1,400 cals is a set up for starvation. I really don't want to eat over my calories, but starting is truly the hardest part. Any tips for snacks or foods that give that filling feeling?

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    celery and carrots with a little peanut butter or hummus; yogurt; apples; popcorn
  • Dmarten
    Dmarten Posts: 19
    Options
    Fresh veggies !!!!! and lots of water, maybe put in a lemon slice ,
  • stcar
    stcar Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's sooooo hard. One thing I remember from when I was starting out and really trying, is that I would exercise mostly to earn extra calories to eat.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My most favorite snack is cheerios with dry fruit or nuts. I LOVE cheerios so much and a whole cup is only 100 calories. Yummy! :) and for something sweet, honey nut!
  • nancy5012
    Options
    water water water!!!
  • mos1971
    mos1971 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    its my first day i found when i was hungry about a hour ago i had a small banana which is only 90 cals and that took the hunger away
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you that protein will help. It doesn't do squat for me in terms of making me feel full. I have energy, but I'm still hungry. Try anything with some bulk (read fiber) to it. Fresh apples, seasonal veggies, along with some almonds.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's sooooo hard. One thing I remember from when I was starting out and really trying, is that I would exercise mostly to earn extra calories to eat.

I do the exact same thing!!
  • imcubed01
    imcubed01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    do not starve yourself. Measure your food, take one step at a time. If you stop everything at once you will fail. Work on cutting down then choose one thing to cut out. Baby steps. Realize that veggies will fill you up so substitute.

I use Steamed Edamane for a snack. They taste good and fill you up. Season them with a little sea salt and replace a salty snack like chips or crackers.

Drink more water, or use MIO or Crystal Light in your water to flavor it to replace a soda.

it takes a month to change a habit so just try one thing at a time.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Carrots are a great filler (35 cals a bag and occupies ya for awhile), low cal string cheese (60 calories), strawberries (low in cals can't remember what it is), 90 calorie fiber one bars (or various other bars or snack bags), a tiny handful of cashews/pistachios/peanuts, 100 cal yogurt, chewing gum, spoonful of peanut butter... hope something on there helps! Think of food is fuel, if you know you've had 300 calories for breakfast, you really are not "hungry" as in needing fuel for awhile (and so on after each meal). If you eat more often in smaller portions that will help with the hunger too. When I started I ate every 2 hours like clockwork and eventually that ended when I got down closer to my goal.
    Good luck!

SW 155.1
    CW and GW 112.0
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your weight loss/week goal set at? 1 lb/wk? 2 lbs/wk? How much total weight are you looking to lose? Do you have an estimate of what your previous daily calorie intake was?

Don't make too drastic a change overnight. It sets you up for failure. If you're set to lose 2 lbs/week, change to 1 lb/week for a couple of weeks. Then up it to 1 1/2 lbs/week. Let your body get used to the smaller calorie intake and give yourself a chance to research some foods that will support your new lifestyle.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your water in! Also, keep in mind that if you exercise, you get to eat more! That helps me a lot. After the first week or so, it does get easier to stay within your calories. You can do it!
  • lnovak13
    Options
    I feel the same way, you are not alone.

Foods that have almost no calories are: celery sticks, lettuce, 1 dill pickle spear, cucumbers, green peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, and broccoli.

25-30 calories: 1 small tangerine, 1/2 cup of watermelon, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 small tomato, 1 medium carrot, 1 cup of popcorn, 12 pretzel sticks.

35-40 calories: 1 medium peach, 1medium nectarine, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 3 saltine crackers, 1/2 small banana.

50-60 calories: 1 small apple, 1 small orange, 15 grapes, 12 cherries, 1 cup strawberries, 1/4 cup of cottage cheese, 4 small shrimp.

And one bowl of instant oatmeal is 100 calories.

Hope this helped you out! Good Luck!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    The first couple of days are the hardest for most people, but it will get easier soon - hang in there! :wink:

Aim for some protein that will keep you feeling fuller longer!
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I find eating every few hours helps, with meal percentages as follows: 20%, 10%, 30%, 10%, 30% (last meal at least 3 hours before sleep.)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    1400 is totally doable! Don't worry, you'll figure it out!
    I'm at 1200 and I usually have cals left to have dessert even, though I do "earn back" usually around 150-200 cals from exercise putting me close to your 1400. You're welcome to look at my diary but it's pretty boring, and it's a little off last week I didn't log as I was out of town.

A typical day for me:
    Breakfast
    1 poached egg, 1 piece of toast, 1 coffee with creamer and sugar, a piece of fruit

Lunch
    a sandwich with some veggies & hummus, or maybe some soup w crackers and a salad
    a piece of fruit
    maybe even a square of dark chocolate

Dinner
    chicken breast
    potatoes
    broccoli

Dessert
    snack pack fat free pudding, or a mini bag of popcorn
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    eat bulky low calorie food. boiled Spinach with a little parmesian, a can of tuna and a piece of fruit

. The best thing you can do is buy a food scale and a set of measuring spoons and cups :)
  • EBitt
    EBitt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Down a bottle of water first thing when you wake up and then keep drinking water throughout the day even if you aren't thirsty. Feeling full from water doesn't last long but it works. Also, try to have your meals planned out a day in advance- this way you'll have a plan and will be less likely to snack on little things here and there through the day that really add up without you noticing. If you have a day of eating planned out and know that it will add up to the 14000 calories you can eat for the day then you'll think twice about having a few crackers here or there or a glass of juice.
  • rmgd
    rmgd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    it will get easier! Baby carrots are great, low calorie, big crunch.2% cottage cheese for creamy (has some protien to help you feel fuller) Instead of thinking what you don't think you should have, focus on all the new things you can eat! I tried Greek yogurt. I ate mango! Who knew that ugly thing was yummy! I saw lots of produce I had never heard of before. i plan on trying every one
  • Mary067
    Mary067 Posts: 31
    Options
    I know how you feel :) I have gotten really into kale chips with cajun seasoning sprinkled on them. Just put kale chips into google and you'll see how to make them, its easy and they get me through my chip cravings and the cajun seasoning has some kick.