Nurses How do you track

Options
2»

Replies

• jackiemarie
    Options
    I'm an oncology RN & work 3 12hour shifts a week. somedays I'm running somedays I'm
    Sitting around so I don't count it towards calories burnt. I only log my actual exercise as exercise.
  • jackiemarie
    Options
    As such I caution against setting to active or very active as it would not be accurate in all cases, it may lead to overeating calories.

I agree, I set mine to slight active because I'm pretty sure it said "nurse" as an example to this setting.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    I think she set up as light active but I just don't think that will be as productive for her. She works 3 - 12 hour shifts a week and will need to fill in some activity the rest of the time. I could see choosing that if you worked everyday but I think it may be more accurate to set at sedentary and log the steps with a pedo
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this for a long time; still do. I tried leaving my level at sedentary and wearing a pedometer, then logging those calories at the end of the day (there are fancy ones that will estimate calories burned or get a cheap one like I did and google "pedometer calories burned" and there are calculators) but this really was too much work and wasn't making a difference good or bad... but I did often fall under in calories since you can't plan your meals until you know what you've burned for the day.... so I've found it much easier to leave my level set to "lightly active" since some days i'm crazy and up all day and others I sit most of the day... for me it only calculated about 130 extra calories (over 1200) so it's much easier to just choose an activity level and go with that so that you can plan out the day better. I really struggled with being able to plan the day properly when I didn't know what I was going to have extra until I got to the end of my workday and calculated what I burned.
  • melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I definitly have a pedometer whether at work or home. The other exercise I track as everyone else
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I just have my activity level set to "lightly active" and that counts as my workday and has been working for me!
  • Sugs94
    Sugs94 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a level 1 trauma ER and wore a pedometer when I was in our triage area....it had the most movement. I had over 24,000 steps for many average shifts (many more for above average). I would add those. I have now moved to being a recovery room nurse and do a lot more standing than moving. I do still transport unit patients sometimes...but much less movement, so no longer track. Think it really matters what type of nursing/area your wife works in.
  • nurse_pamela
    nurse_pamela Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    True!~