NY Resolution people and packed gyms!!?!?!?!?

Options

Replies

• scmatthews8
    Options
    I think most people on this site(me included) were once in the shoes of the NY Resolutioner. Why criticize them for trying to change their lives? Statistics show that people won't continue, but how about the ones that do? If you really have a problem with it, find a new time to workout when the gym isn't packed(i.e. 5am, 10am, 3pm, 9pm etc.) By going at the crowded times you are only adding to the problem...
  • kimbly71
    kimbly71 Posts: 188
    Options
    I am running inside until it gets a bit warmer and the gym was crammed with people yesterday. My husband was grumbling the whole time.....luckily he had planned an intense work out and was less stressed within about 20 minutes. My gym gets back to normal around the end of February. C'mon February!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I think most people on this site(me included) were once in the shoes of the NY Resolutioner. Why criticize them for trying to change their lives? Statistics show that people won't continue, but how about the ones that do? If you really have a problem with it, find a new time to workout when the gym isn't packed(i.e. 5am, 10am, 3pm, 9pm etc.) By going at the crowded times you are only adding to the problem...

we won't interrupt our regular routine, it will die out eventually...and even when I was new, it wasn't a new years resolution
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    My gym was dead today at 8:30 in the morning! Less busy than normal lol
  • scmatthews8
    Options
    Understood, but you did start out as a beginner correct? Is it possible that you annoyed some "regular" when you first started training? One of the contributors to people giving up is feeling judged by other members. One reason why planet fitness is so successful...
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Understood, but you did start out as a beginner correct? Is it possible that you annoyed some "regular" when you first started training? One of the contributors to people giving up is feeling judged by other members. One reason why planet fitness is so successful...

Oh oh I just joined Planet fitness.....
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    That is exactly why I'm avoiding the gym for probably the entire month. I'm going to give Insanity another go! People packing into the gym like that stresses me out!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

we won't interrupt our regular routine, it will die out eventually...and even when I was new, it wasn't a new years resolution

Mine wasn't either!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Judging by how quiet my gym was at 9am this morning, no one around here had any resolutions about fitness. :laugh:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    well i hope the newbies will be in it for the long run. Tnat being said...those who pay but do not go must help lower my own membership price lol.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I found this on another site I use for triathlon. It reminded me of how I first got started in endurance sports and what kind of a difference its made in my life. Instead of becoming frustrated and angry because we have to take an extra 5 minutes out of our already busy schedule maybe we should look to inspire the newbies and help them lead a healthier life.

We're endurance athletes. We train all year not only outside, but also at the gym and the pool. We can expect some serious crowding in both places for the next few weeks. It happens every year. Suddenly we have to add 30 minutes to our scheduled gym time because of the "resolutionists". There are no parking places. When you do manage to find one and get to the locker room 10 minutes behind schedule, there aren't any lockers available and the door is blocked by someone trying to remember the way to the weight room. In there, the machines you need to use are all occupied by people in new track suits pushing too much weight with truly horrible form. The bubbler is blocked by someone who is trying hard not to look totally out of their element. You can't get in the pool because it's jammed with people using pull buoys on their arms and kickboards as flotation devices. Half the lanes have people with no goggles and baggy swim trunks down to their knees who can't swim an entire lap. The whole freakin' place is filled with...with... beginners. It's one of my favorite sights. I've never been in a place more full of hope than a gym during the first week of January. It's a place full of people giving action to their dreams. People who for that day are making an effort to be fit, to improve themselves, to live a better quality of life. The effort and courage it takes them to get there that morning is huge. It certainly exceeds what it takes me. I know where everything is. I know the pool etiquette. I know what my workout is going to be and how to use the machines. I'm not the least bit embarrassed to take my shirt off in the locker room. This is routine for me. These new people will be showing a lot of courage and determination by going to the gym in the next few weeks and they'll deserve my respect. They'll get it. It wasn't that long ago that I was one of them. During the next few weeks I'll be making an effort to help some of these people feel a little less uncomfortable. Maybe make eye contact with some of them, be ready to give a nod or say hello. Once we're halfway into February, the crowds will be gone. Parking will be easy. Machines will be available again. The wait at the pool will go away. We know this. We're endurance athletes. We know the reward that comes from sticking through the hard parts. And from helping others through them.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    When I need machine, I stand right next to the person and watch them until they feel uncomfortable and get off. If necessary, I will fart too, to make the environment less tolerable to them.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    OH OH its gonna be jam packed at the gym today full of new year resolutioners! I expect all the bike machines to be busy.....lucky for me they avoid the treadmills like the plague............ha!
    SO.when does your gym start returning to normal?

HOPEFULLY theres some awesome eyecandy!:devil:

There is some right below that post.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    usually takes about 3 weeks for our gym to normal out. We keep about 3% who stick with it throughout the year.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Always back to normal by March 1.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I totally agree. Year after year until 2011 was "the year I was going to change." I did change, lol. I gained even more weight. It wasn't until April of 2011 that my new life began. I am thankful the timing of my New Life resolution didn't coincide with January 1st because then maybe people would have grouped me in with the annoying people in the way while the "real" fitness professionals wait for their turf back. :(

my gym was empty today. I had the track to myself for over an hour and nobody was on the machines. There were a handful of people in the weight area but it was mostly dead. I dont know why.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ours has been insane
    EMS was called 3 times yesterday...come on people use ur sense :)
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I applaud those who are new and will stick to it. It's the ones who are just there in the heat of some new resolution, taking up space I need who are wasting time because they won't stick to it that bug me. And since I don't know which ones those are, I'm just generally unhappy about not being able to get a machine just because its a certain time of year.
  • CaitlinFrost
    Options
    I actually got to the gym yesterday and I was the only one in there for about an hour and a half and I was there for two hours. I was very surprised to say the least!
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My gym, normally about 4 or 5 people there when I get there at 5 - today there were 12 or more people (Very small gym, so 12 people is A LOT) - mostly on the cardio machines or assisted weights.. so I still had the free weights area with plenty of room. :)