Some days I net 800 cals

Options
This happens 2 or 3 times a week.. I am still eating around 1500 - 1700 cals total, but am netting 700 - 900... Is this going to hurt me? I get full and just can't eat any more.

Replies

• mareowner
    Options
    If I eat less I ensure my protein and minerals are at normal levels. I believe the body needs protein and if we don't provide it then it will go after our muscle mass.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think it totally depends on what makes up the 1500 or 1700 calories you are eating! If it is chocolate/candy/fast food then I don't think my body would be getting enough of the good nutrition it needs. If it is 1500 - 1700 calories worth of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein etc then I don't see a problem with it.

I also think that I probably over estimate my calories burnt because I rely on gym machines and MFP and I don't weigh ever single meal so I may under/over estimate all my food intake! But I'm pretty good at logging and pretty consistant, better than I thought, with the weight loss so I don't see it as a bad thing. I'm 5'4" and don't want to be 100lbs or want to live my life having to worry about every calorie - so this fits in with my goals!

Good luck.
  • laren1266
    Options
    Have you adjusted your goals in your profile?
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Should I? I didn't know I had reason to. I have an HRM so I'm pretty accurate with calories burned and a food scale, so I'm pretty good with that too. Also, I trend eat veggies, fruits, whole grains, white meat, etc and minimal sweets/fast foods (had some skittles today)
  • laren1266
    Options
    If you are talking about a net of 800 cals on MFP then maybe you should adjust your goals in your profile. Daily calories are set by weight +activity level+how many pounds per week you want to lose or gain. For example, if I change my goals to lose 1/2 a pound per week instead of 2 and increase my exercise from3 days to 5, my calories per day increase by about 1000.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    mermaid i'm not sure that you are understanding what ilovepeppers is asking about. she doesn't need a calorie goal to be higher, she is wondering if eating too far under her goal is detrimental.

ilovepeppers, yes, it will effect you if you continue this. it is tough to keep eating at goal, I know. Try some smoothies or liquid calories to get your net a little higher. it may not effect you very soon, but eventually after continuing like this for weeks / months you could see some issues. it might be more helpful to see a nutritionist about this question, as different people need different amounts of calories to sustain healthy living. Good luck and keep trying hard. :) It seems you are already.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will die.

:-)

Eventually.

Most folks here go with a more gradual weight loss and there's nothing wrong with dropping a pound or two a week. My preference was a rapid weight loss and I did it at < 1k cals.

Yes, some folks here still talk about "starvation mode" (it's less common than it was a year ago, fortunately). When I started losing weight, I had to figure out how much food to eat. My GF, Debbie, runs a weight loss clinic here in Southern California that's been in business for 40+ years and has helped hundreds of thousands of people lose weight (they have 39 clinics). They put people on a diet that's…800 to 1k cals/day and they tell their patients to expect to lose 10% of their body weight during each 10 week program.

I faced the dichotomy of listening to potential problems from folks here vs seeing people who have lost a lot of weight using that low calorie level. I decided to stick with what I knew worked and did a low cal diet.

I ate 800 to 1000 cals/day (net) for probably 6 out of 7 days per week. It worked very, very well for me - I lost 95 pounds in 7 months, great health, lots of energy, zero loose skin.

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Oh, when I was losing weight, I took a multivitamin. I don't bother now 'cause we First World people get scads a few vitamins.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Should I? I didn't know I had reason to. I have an HRM so I'm pretty accurate with calories burned and a food scale, so I'm pretty good with that too. Also, I trend eat veggies, fruits, whole grains, white meat, etc and minimal sweets/fast foods (had some skittles today)

Do you eat plenty of healthy fat?
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think you will be fine. It is only a couple of days a week and you are eating healthy to make sure your body is getting enough nutrition - you aren't eating 1500 - 1700 calories worth of junk food!

It isn't like you aren't making any effort to eat your excercise calories back, you are and you are also listening to your body. If you ate back every calorie you burned whether you were hungry or not you would end up gaining all you weight back!

It would be different if you were netting 800 without exercise too because you wouldn't be giving your body enough nutrition and I am positive your body would tell you that through tiredness, headaches and the number on the scale.

MFP always gives you a warning if you EAT under 1200 calories to tell you you are not eating enough but it doesn't give you one because you have eaten over 1200 calories and burnt some of them off!!

I think you will be fine - good luck!