Need more Protien

Options
FitKate
FitKate Posts: 169 Member
So i'm having trouble with my Iron levels being to low as a result of not having enough protien. I've cut back on sugary snacks and would like to replace then with easy high protien snacks. Any suggestions or reciepes would be great. I work a desk job and can't take breaks all that often so easier the better.

Replies

• TahliS
    TahliS Posts: 52
    Options
    I use Musashi P protein powder to get an instant and easy protein boost. I had a shake for lunch and it totalled 40 protein ( 310 cal, 40 pro, 5 fat and 25 carb).
    ETA you dont have to "meal replace" for it either. Often ill add a scoop with my milk for breakfast.
  • FitKate
    Options
    Does the bottle say how much Iron the powder contains?
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i personally rely on eggs, chicken, turkey and protein powders for most of my protein. have you considered supplementing with an iron pill? my mom had to take one for awhile when her iron was too low
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    almonds? I actually make Jamie Eason's Turkey muffins and those are a GREAT way to get low calorie protein in!
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    You don't need protein to have iron, necessarily. For example, sugar snap peas contain 3.15mg per cup. Another would be dried fruits; perfect desk food in my opinion. Raisins have 0.6mg per 1oz. Dried apricots have 6.3mg per 100g. Another desk food can be seeds. Pumpkin seeds come in at 15mg per 100g. Sunflower seeds have 5.3mg per 100g.

You can sneak some iron in your foods with herbs too! Thyme has 3.7mg/tbsp(21%), Parsley has 11% and Spearmint has 10%.

Now you're going to LOVE this part, but cocoa powder has 36mg of iron in it per 100g (1.8mg per tbsp). Yes, that means chocolate can actually be good for you. Dark chocolate bars can contain 17.4mg per 100g and milk chocolate contains 2.4mg per 100g.

You can also have iron in your dinner with Quinoa, it has 3.2mg per 100g 20% of the RDA standard.

Hope that helps (:
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Seafood is a great way to get it in. This sounds so gross to most people, but my favourite post-run snack is a tin of Portuguese octopus stew. 180 cals, 32g of protein and 52% of your daily iron if I recall correctly. :D

Protein shakes are also a great alternative, as are energy bars (like Clif) and boiled eggs. If you still can't get it in, you could pick up a liquid iron supplement, but you'll want to be careful with that as having too much iron is also a very bad thing.

My calorie intake is only 1200, and my iron has always been low, so in the past few years I've had to find ways to get it in without sacrificing all of my calories. Those are some of the options I choose. And don't forget that most people don't record iron when they record food data, so a lot of what is in the database is incorrect. You'll have to do some sleuthing for your fave foods.

Good luck! ^_^
  • FitKate
    Options
    You don't need protein to have iron, necessarily. For example, sugar snap peas contain 3.15mg per cup. Another would be dried fruits; perfect desk food in my opinion. Raisins have 0.6mg per 1oz. Dried apricots have 6.3mg per 100g. Another desk food can be seeds. Pumpkin seeds come in at 15mg per 100g. Sunflower seeds have 5.3mg per 100g.

You can sneak some iron in your foods with herbs too! Thyme has 3.7mg/tbsp(21%), Parsley has 11% and Spearmint has 10%.

Now you're going to LOVE this part, but cocoa powder has 36mg of iron in it per 100g (1.8mg per tbsp). Yes, that means chocolate can actually be good for you. Dark chocolate bars can contain 17.4mg per 100g and milk chocolate contains 2.4mg per 100g.

You can also have iron in your dinner with Quinoa, it has 3.2mg per 100g 20% of the RDA standard.

Hope that helps (:

This was extremely helpful! I love cocoa and I have a garden were I grow fresh herbs! I had no idea they had Iron.
  • FitKate
    Options
    I love seafood but currently can't eat it because I'm breast feeding. I found out the hard way my little one has a sensitivity to me eating fish and sea food. I love clif bars tho. If my Iron levels don't improve I will try an Iron supplement. I hate to take them though from previous experience they have some unsavory side effects.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Doesn't spinach have a bunch of iron too? I love spinach.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    This was extremely helpful! I love cocoa and I have a garden were I grow fresh herbs! I had no idea they had Iron.

I know, it's a little known fact, but it's definitely useful to know when keeping track of your nutrient intake. Ooh, then you're definitely set! Getting enough iron should be a breeze for you(:
  • FitKate
    Options
    Thank you to everyone with who replied to this post! This was very helpful. I see more protein and a healthier me in the future!
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can always add spinach to a smoothie. Just get the frozen (or fresh) spinach, some berries for the antioxidants (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries), some ice, some milk and blend. You won't even notice the spinach.

You can always add a scoop of protein powder or blend it with juice too.
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 100 grams of protien a day. Here are some of the things I eat to get my protien in:

Protien Shakes (I use Jillian Michael's Whey Protien Powder and blend with fruit, ice, and water)
    Greek Yogurt
    Almonds
    Turkey & Chicken
    Luna Protien Bars
    Hard boiled eggs (or eggs for breakfast, usually scrambled with some veggies thrown in)
    Cheese

Good luck!! :)
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Check out greek yogurt. This morning I had a tub (individual size) of Fage 2% plain greek yogurt. I include 1/2C fresh blueberries and 1/2T of organic agave. The yogurt is about 150 cals, about 42 for the berries and about 30 for the agave. The yogurt alone has 20 grams of protein. Sometimes I'll add a few walnuts or pecans too. You could do granola or whatever your preference. Love greek yogurt for getting in the extra protein...just need to watch out for the extra sugars in those with the fruit/flavors already mixed in.
  • hlavers
    hlavers Posts: 32
    Options
    I second the eggs suggestions. I usually have an egg and 2-3 egg whites (I buy them in the carton) each day. Mixing the egg whites ups protein and iron but keeps calories in check.

I also recommend dark leafy greens! Those babies are iron rich and oh so good. Think Broccoli, spinach, kale, Swiss chard and other greens (collard, mustard, beet, etc).
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sorry...I just realized you wanted snacks for your desk job. Guess a blender on your desk is out of the question? :wink:

Protein bars and protein powders are good. I mix mine with water (or milk if I need more calories) in a cup I bring from home. Easy and filling. Add some fruit on the side and you have a great snack.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Tera's Whey protein powders are great. Several flavors and just shake in water.
    Also Greek yogurt.
  • FitKate
    Options
    Sorry...I just realized you wanted snacks for your desk job. Guess a blender on your desk is out of the question? :wink:

Protein bars and protein powders are good. I mix mine with water (or milk if I need more calories) in a cup I bring from home. Easy and filling. Add some fruit on the side and you have a great snack.

I have a breakfast smoothie three times a week so I still found this post very helpful! Thank you
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Whey protein for the protein.
    I suggest Optimum Nutrition.
    Pumpkin seeds for the iron.
    1/4 cup is 50% of your iron daily needs.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i use myoplex lite as a snack sometimes ...sometimes i cut boneless skinless chicken breast in to chuncks and use that for a protein snack..there is also almond butter on kashi crackers or on sandwich thins ... even on celery sticks..i like crunchy peanut butter too .. i used to bring hard boiled eggs but since have cut down to just egg whites . there are protein bars out there too