Hot Yoga

Options
Does anyone know how many calories are burned in Hot Yoga?

Replies

• jtod
    jtod Posts: 19
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories are burned in Hot Yoga?
  • sanderson1
    Options
    is that also known as hatha yoga?.....if so, there is a listing for that under excercises
  • jtod
    jtod Posts: 19
    Options
    No it's different... there is Hatha Hot Yoga, but there are other types as well. It's Yoga in rooms with the heat set up to 35 - 45 deggrees celsius (sorry I'm canadian, don't know my farenheights!)... it's a very intense work out. Usually it lasts about 90 minutes and by the end of it you're absolutely drenched in sweat. It's supposed to be good for burning calories, but i was hoping someone could tell me how many.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    According to Calorie King, it's 400-500 for 90 minutes. Seems like it should be more though! I can barely get through a class...

http://www.calorieking.com/library/articles/Weight-Shedding-Winter-Workouts_YWlkPTgwNCZwaWQ9MTksMjEmcHJpbnRhYmxlPXllcyZub3ZpZXdzPXllcw.html
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My friend does the hot yoga and she has started wearing her HRM and she is burning approx 250-300 calories (1 1/2 hrs). The better she gets at the moves the more calories she burns.
    She has lost 35lbs and she swears that hot yoga was the key to her success.

I haven't done a class but I hear they are really cool.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    they're definitely not "cool"...lol

The few times I've managed it I felt like my skin was literally melting off my body from the heat!

It is amazing, though.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Sorry we don't know Celsius - I mean really, time to catch up with the rest of the world. Most classes are over 90 degrees F.

Being hot really doesn't burn any more calories. Bikram yoga will help you stretch further because your muscles are warm. You will sweat more. I'm sorry to say that yoga doesn't burn that many calories. I'm a proponent of the practice.

If sweating/being hot burned calories, Texans would be skinnier than Canadians :laugh:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've googled calories burned in Bikram and found ranges from 600-1200! No one seems to agree, I think it's best to be on the conservative side. I love Bikram!! :love:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Seems to be the new fad...similar to running with a garbage bag on. More water weight is lost, it's fairly dangerous, and there are few benefits. The BMR will increase slightly with exposure to external temperatures 107 degrees F and higher, but it's incredibly dangerous to exercise in that type of environment, and those classes won't reach that level of heat. Your brain can only stand a temperature increase of about 5 degrees F before serious problems arise, like loss of consciousness. It's great to be extra-flexible, but I personally find it sort of silly to put yourself at risk for the sake of that one benefit. If you want to do it, just drink an absolute boatload of water. I do love yoga and it's wonderful for you, but it's just as wonderful at a same room temperature.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Sorry we don't know Celsius - I mean really, time to catch up with the rest of the world. Most classes are over 90 degrees F.

Being hot really doesn't burn any more calories. Bikram yoga will help you stretch further because your muscles are warm. You will sweat more. I'm sorry to say that yoga doesn't burn that many calories. I'm a proponent of the practice.

If sweating/being hot burned calories, Texans would be skinnier than Canadians :laugh:

Totally true. Just because you sweat doesn't mean you're losing weight. The sweat is all water weight, which...as we all know, flucuates a lot. Just because the heat is up, means nothing for real exercise.

But..you're working out..which is good:)
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Seems to be the new fad...similar to running with a garbage bag on. More water weight is lost, it's fairly dangerous, and there are few benefits. The BMR will increase slightly with exposure to external temperatures 107 degrees F and higher, but it's incredibly dangerous to exercise in that type of environment, and those classes won't reach that level of heat. Your brain can only stand a temperature increase of about 5 degrees F before serious problems arise, like loss of consciousness. It's great to be extra-flexible, but I personally find it sort of silly to put yourself at risk for the sake of that one benefit. If you want to do it, just drink an absolute boatload of water. I do love yoga and it's wonderful for you, but it's just as wonderful at a same room temperature.

I agree. I love yoga but I tried the hot yoga once and it was just too hot and I was uncomfortable. I enjoy it much more with the air at a reasonable temperature and then after when its 'playing dead' time....heheheh you start to shiver all over and its amazing.
  • braphoto
    braphoto Posts: 6
    Options
    I have done Bikram for a series of time, and I just try to start again, its true is really hot in the class room, but at the end you feel like a million dollars...im not sure about the calorie burn discussion I have lost a bit of weight but im also being very active I could assure is juts the bikram...I do feel much better anyway doing it..is hard to start but is harder to stop!!!