braces and weight loss

Options

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    /shrug

Guess it didn't effect me because mine never hurt when they were tightened. I could eat everything I always ate, including gum.
  • lc504
    lc504 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    hi there, I am and adult getting braces tommorow...(self litigating ceramics) and I am wondering if anyone has noticed a weight loss after getting braces..I am not looking to loose..I am just wondring what others experiences are/were...

I had them when i was younger, they hurt your teeth for a few days, so you don't eat much, but after that the pain goes away.

That's not entirely true...it really depends on what kind of work you're having done. Not all braces are created equally. Take it from someone who's invested over $11,000 on their mouth. :tongue: I had metal braces, a thingie that sticks to the roof of the mouth that you have to stick a key into to widen your jaw, a wire connected to my jaw, metal bars that connect your mouth so you can't open them too wide, etc. They definitely had an impact on my eating habits!! :tongue: The pain never went away, it only got worse, and in one instance infected due to the metal cutting into my cheek, and hurt until all of it was taken out, and it took over 2 years.

Oh god... I almost forgot about that roof of mouth thingie! That definitely was painful. Still didn't affect my eating habits as a teenager though, guess I just loved food too much :laugh:
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    hi there, I am and adult getting braces tommorow...(self litigating ceramics) and I am wondering if anyone has noticed a weight loss after getting braces..I am not looking to loose..I am just wondring what others experiences are/were...

I had them when i was younger, they hurt your teeth for a few days, so you don't eat much, but after that the pain goes away.

That's not entirely true...it really depends on what kind of work you're having done. Not all braces are created equally. Take it from someone who's invested over $11,000 on their mouth. :tongue: I had metal braces, a thingie that sticks to the roof of the mouth that you have to stick a key into to widen your jaw, a wire connected to my jaw, metal bars that connect your mouth so you can't open them too wide, etc. They definitely had an impact on my eating habits!! :tongue: The pain never went away, it only got worse, and in one instance infected due to the metal cutting into my cheek, and hurt until all of it was taken out, and it took over 2 years.

Oh god... I almost forgot about that roof of mouth thingie! That definitely was painful. Still didn't affect my eating habits as a teenager though, guess I just loved food too much :laugh:

That was the second worst for me, since I hated cleaning it with a passion, haha!
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for almost a year and at 23yrs old I have to say I had a lot of pain the first couple of months and really had to work back up to more solid foods. I did lose around 20lbs after I got my braces, but I was trying to and I was already eating good foods just a lot of eggs, yogurt, and tuna. It was tough for me I hope you have an easier go :)
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options

That's not entirely true...it really depends on what kind of work you're having done. Not all braces are created equally. Take it from someone who's invested over $11,000 on their mouth. :tongue: I had metal braces, a thingie that sticks to the roof of the mouth that you have to stick a key into to widen your jaw, a wire connected to my jaw, metal bars that connect your mouth so you can't open them too wide, etc. They definitely had an impact on my eating habits!! :tongue: The pain never went away, it only
    got worse, and in one instance infected due to the metal cutting into my cheek, and hurt until all of it was taken out, and it took over 2 years.
    [/quote

That was the second worst for me, since I hated cleaning it with a passion, haha!
    I have 2 tads in my mouth now. Extremely uncomfortable!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    I had mine from 17 to 21...never lost weight, in fact I gained. Too many mashed potatoes, cream soups and scrambled eggs I think. For the first month you will want to stick with very soft foods. Cook your vegies to almost mush and have lots of soup and apple sauce. You will work back up to crunchy stuff. Just a hint...when your mouth hurts really bad... swish a mouth full of gin or vodka around for a few minutes, then spit it out. It numbs your gums...but then again if you do that a couple times and swallow the booze you don't care anyway... :wink:
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had mine from 17 to 21...never lost weight, in fact I gained. Too many mashed potatoes, cream soups and scrambled eggs I think. For the first month you will want to stick with very soft foods. Cook your vegies to almost mush and have lots of soup and apple sauce. You will work back up to crunchy stuff. Just a hint...when your mouth hurts really bad... swish a mouth full of gin or vodka around for a few minutes, then spit it out. It numbs your gums...but then again if you do that a couple times and swallow the booze you don't care anyway... :wink:

I like your style!!!!! lol!
  • puffingal
    Options
    I got braces Nov 2010 and I did not lose any weight because of it.
    I eat the exact same foods as I always have, despite the orthodontist's list of forbidden foods he provided before getting my braces.
    I actually have eaten more raw baby carrots, apples and raw almonds in the past year than ever.

You just have to be extra cautious so that your braces do not get damaged, and brush your teeth more, esepcially after sweets.
    So many people with braces have horrible yellow teeth, it is disgusting. And more importantly, unhygenic and a catalyst for oral disease.
  • puffingal
    Options
    as per pain, after their installation, I got a headache about 6 hours later, but I managed to be productive in school,
    I found it was difficult to apply any sort of pressure to my teeth the first couple of days, but by day three things are back to normal besides having to floss so much!

Also, after evey adjustment, you teeth will be tender, so pack an egg salad sandwich. After, my third adjustment, I no longer felt pain at all.

Good luck with it!
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had braces as an adult and I lost weight but it was a whole "new me transformation" going on at that time. I must say that when I am watching what I eat it does help to wear my retainer. It really cuts down on mindless snacking. I have to take it out, and find a safe place for it all before snacking. It so is not worth popping handfuls of M&Ms in your mouth and deal with your retainer also.
    Crys
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I had braces as an adult and I lost weight but it was a whole "new me transformation" going on at that time. I must say that when I am watching what I eat it does help to wear my retainer. It really cuts down on mindless snacking. I have to take it out, and find a safe place for it all before snacking. It so is not worth popping handfuls of M&Ms in your mouth and deal with your retainer also.
    Crys

This, too. Braces and retainers both cut down on the snacking, especially when rubber bands were involved. And if I wasn't able to brush my teeth after, I didn't want to end up with gunk stuck under my wires, so I just didn't snack.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i have an appointment for this saturday to get ceramic braces fitted on my lower teeth. the upper arch is to be fitted 2 months later. i am considering deferring this weekend's appointment by a month but not sure yet. i am 32 years old and definitely not looking forward to it but guess i need to get it over and done with. according to my treatment plan, i am expected to be wearing them for abt 18 months.

i am abit concerned abt weight loss with braces as i am currently trying to lose just another 5 lbs
  • jennabellaxoxo
    Options
    got them on...boy I see how a person could loose weight..I have only eaten when HUNGRY...zero snacks.... and I had to go buy soft low cal foods!
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just got braces in early November (and I'm 38!). I have lost over 20 pounds since then, but that is just coincidence I believe as getting braces coincided with joining MFP and getting serious about weight loss.

I will say, though, that having braces helped me avoid raiding my daughter's candy at Halloween! And I'm less apt to snack b/c it is too much of a PITA to have to brush my teeth. I have clear braces and I'm very self conscious about them staining, so I brush right after eating anything.
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had braces for three years but I didn't notice any changes- the pain from having them tightened didn't affect me very much- but that's just me. My teeth were pretty awful before the braces and I did have significant work done it just wasn't that painful. The first time they were tightened hurt the most and that was at Christmas and I didn't have to make any changes to what ate. It is definitely interesting reading about other peoples' experiences, though! :)
  • jennabellaxoxo
    Options
    I just got braces in early November (and I'm 38!). I have lost over 20 pounds since then, but that is just coincidence I believe as getting braces coincided with joining MFP and getting serious about weight loss.

I will say, though, that having braces helped me avoid raiding my daughter's candy at Halloween! And I'm less apt to snack b/c it is too much of a PITA to have to brush my teeth. I have clear braces and I'm very self conscious about them staining, so I brush right after eating anything.
    Congrats on your loss!
    Lol I am paranoid about staining my clear braces a well...thinking of cutting out coffee!
  • ackeebee
    Options
    got them on...boy I see how a person could loose weight..I have only eaten when HUNGRY...zero snacks.... and I had to go buy soft low cal foods!

is it severe pain or just slight discomfort? how long will you need to wear them for?
  • jennabellaxoxo
    Options

is it severe pain or just slight discomfort? how long will you need to wear them for?
    Slight discomfort....go for it and we can be brace faces together...I need them for 18-24months.
  • ackeebee
    Options

Slight discomfort....go for it and we can be brace faces together...I need them for 18-24months.

ok noted. i will definitely get them. just undecided if i should stick to my installation appointment this weekend of defer it to a month's time. due to my work schedule i can only see the ortho on a saturday and their office is only opened one saturday each month.

do you find your ceramic braces very obvious? this is one of my major concerns that they will look hideous lol. i need them for 18 months however as advised before, i will be getting the lower arch first and the upper arch 2 months later. i am looking forward to it on one hand and on the other i am abit scared lol
  • ackeebee
    Options

good for you!
    i am abit self conscious about getting braces at 32 but thanks to you i feel so much better now.