Oatmeal ideas?

Options

Replies

• angieisslim4ever
    Options
    i love oat meals ..i can eat with blue berry, non fat choco milk, brown sugar , many more..
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of plain oatmeal, especially the instant packets, but I do like the multi-grain hot cereals. They are a blend of oats, wheat, barley, and rye (I think), usually right next to the oatmeal. Seems like the multi-grain adds a bit more flavor/texture or something.

Quaker makes one in a yellow package, Trader Joe's also caries a version (not TJ's brand, but can't remember who makes it). 1/2 cup of grain+1/2 cup water+ 3-4 min microwave and voila!

I usually just add 1/2 cup frozen berries during the last minute of cooking..thaws them and some of the juice mingles with the oats just as they are getting creamy.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I should have looked for this post! lol. I just asked if it can be baked in the oven with just water (instant oatmeal). I put pumpkin puree in mine and it tastes like pumpkin pie! I also like chocolate chips mixed in on occasion. its a wonderful treat.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do occasionally use the reduced sugar oatmeal or the weight loss one. However, I find using regular oats just as fast, and much healthier (and cheaper too). I use a little splenda and a splash of vanilla usually. I've also added some of the following:
    Fresh fruit
    Applesauce
    Cinnamon & Splenda

The other things I love is Steel Cut Oats - yum yum... they take longer to cook, so I make a batch in the slow cooker over night with cut up apples, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little splenda. The I portion it out into small containers for the week, and heat it up in the microwave each day. Just add a litle water or skim milk so it's not too think.
  • happyhiram
    Options
    Someone said earlier to put 1/2 a tablespoon of peanut butter in it and that is a great idea. I've had that for a few days now
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I put a teaspoon of Pure honey, some craisen's, and some thinly sliced green apples in my plain oats. Yummmm :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j-Hkihja-0&feature=related

fast forward to 5:55 and you should be right there.. it tastes fantastic and is ready in the AM!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Someone said earlier to put 1/2 a tablespoon of peanut butter in it and that is a great idea. I've had that for a few days now

That's my favorite way to eat it - the protein does keep you full. Add some banana slices if you're feeling fancy. :)
    I ate it so much I finally burned out on it. But thinking it's time to revisit my old favorite....
  • adarshkaur
    Options
    Thank you - that's an incredible list of flavors!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    check out this website. sooo many amazing oatmeal ideas

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Crock Pot Oatmeal:

1 cup steel-cut oats
    1 cup raisins, cranberries, or dried fruit of choice
    4 cups water
    ½ cup milk, half and half, or buttermilk
    2 tablespoons of cinnamon or pumpkin spice
    2 tablespoons of maple syrup

In a crock pot, combine all ingredients. Cook on low heat
    (covered) for 7-9 hours. Stir and serve. *For non-dairy
    oatmeal, try adding applesauce, apple butter, or almond
    butter instead of dairy products.
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump for the morning :)
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Okay I HATE oatmeal, but know it's good for me. I attempted to make a few recipes with steel cut oats. I found and fell in love with the oatmeal at Jamba Juice....so I googled a recipe. Yes, steel cut takes longer to good, but these cook in a rice cooker. OMG sooooo good. I do 1/2 water and 1/2 almond milk for the liquid. I do not add add'l sweetner (but follow the rest of the recipe)

http://www.thesaladgirl.com/2009/09/30/recipe-rice-cooker-oatmeal/

stirring in some add'l almond milk when serving makes them especially creamy. I top with a lil bit of spiced nuts (homemade) and some dried fruit or raw sugar.
  • PeaceLoveStrength
    PeaceLoveStrength Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been on a massive oatmeal kick lately. Currently I use organic rolled oats, 1/4 cup frozen organic berries, 1/4 cup vanilla coconut milk, 1/4 oz chopped raw almonds and a 1/2 tsp of raw sugar.
  • Jul66dn
    Options
    That sounds good gonna try.... Thanks!
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I put in a little coco, some peant butter, and a sugar in the raw pack to plain oatmel. Tastes like a chocolate oatmeal cookie.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I use the Quaker Whole Grain Oats and boy are they yummy:bigsmile: I cook it with almond milk, add brown sugar, cinnamon, dried cranberries, rasins, peaches, and chopped pecans on top..:flowerforyou:
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cboz88
    cboz88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump