eating every 3 hours and losing

Options
Just wondering if anyone has been doing the eating every 3 hours thing. Also has anyone lost weight doing it with calories around 1100 a day, and workout burning 895 a day? I am 5 foot 2 inches and weigh 204. Anything positive would be great. I am following what th edr put me on I have Congested heart failure and must more this weight off. Thanks so much also I need more friends for support so please send me a friend request.

Replies

• RobinLoren
    Options
    I have never intentionally tried eating every three hours in order to lose weight but when I lost weight on Weight Watchers, I was literally eating all the time, definitely every three hours and I lost 20 pounds in about 6 or 8 weeks. So I believe that it can work, depending on what it is you are eating. You obviously can't eat a lot of calories every 3 hours but I was snacking through the day on fruits, vegetables, and low calorie treats.
  • dwallior3326
    Options
    I dont know from personal experience...but eating every 3 hours sounds like a good idea. Because then youre never really "HUNGRY" for a full meal, just small portions all day long!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I eat about every two hours, actually. hah.

Mostly because I sit for 12 hours a day at work, and eating every 2 hours prevents me from eating junk food out of boredom.
  • kjannan
    kjannan Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    In my early days of weight loss I was eating every hour in the mornings, I was sooo hungry!
    Now it's every 2 hours & I never let my tummy rumble.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has been doing the eating every 3 hours thing. Also has anyone lost weight doing it with calories around 1100 a day, and workout burning 895 a day? I am 5 foot 2 inches and weigh 204. Anything positive would be great. I am following what th edr put me on I have Congested heart failure and must more this weight off. Thanks so much also I need more friends for support so please send me a friend request.
    Hopefully your minimum is 1200 calories net per day and that 895 is eaten back. As for the 3 hour eating, it's personal choice, but what it boils down to is if you are in calorie deficit by the end of the day. Whether you do it by eating every 3 hours or in just 2 meal total won't matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia so yes that is about how often i need to eat in order to not feel sick. i need the consistent influx of food in order regulate my blood sugar. i eat about 1300 1400 a day depending on my calorie burn or how hungry i am. i burn a lot daily as i really like to eat more food! lol i think my burn is approx 800 a day, but like yesterday i had a surplus of around 2600 cal from gym and rollerskating with the kids. so splurged a little today. feel free to add me. lost 12 lbs, 3 inches, one pant size in 2 months.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have read several articles on the benefits of eating every 3 hours..small meals. it's supposed to help wtih metabolism/burning or something.

I generally eat every 2-3 hours, mostly smaller meals, obviously. :) Sometimes I go for 4 hours and eat more. For some reason, it's just how I am: I like to eat frequently. In fact, I rarely have a day that I don't use all my 6 meals log on MFP. haha. :) It has been working for me.

:)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your minimum is 1200 calories net per day and that 895 is eaten back. As for the 3 hour eating, it's personal choice, but what it boils down to is if you are in calorie deficit by the end of the day. Whether you do it by eating every 3 hours or in just 2 meal total won't matter.

IDEA Fitness member

I would think that if she only ate 1100 calories and didn't eat that 895 calories, she would have lost more than 3lbs. Considering she joined in Nov, 2011. Something is missing from the story here
  • TeamRipped4Life
    TeamRipped4Life Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Exercising regularly and eating six small meals throughout the day will help you lose weight and boost your metabolism by ensuring you have a constant flow of blood sugar. When you go 3-4 hours without eating, your body starts to go into a little bit of a starvation mode and what do you crave when you're really hungry? Sugary, salty, fatty foods. At least I used to. I can vouch for this concept since I went from overweight with zero exercise to losing 54lbs in 3 months with P90X and consuming six small meals throughout the day. I'll eat every 2-3 hours. I cut out pop, candy and processed foods and replaced my former meals with vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, beans, and other healthy foods that aren't human-made. Let me know if you need any help reaching your health and fitness goals.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Exercising regularly and eating six small meals throughout the day will help you lose weight and boost your metabolism by ensuring you have a constant flow of blood sugar. When you go 3-4 hours without eating, your body starts to go into a little bit of a starvation mode and what do you crave when you're really hungry? Sugary, salty, fatty foods. At least I used to. I can vouch for this concept since I went from overweight with zero exercise to losing 54lbs in 3 months with P90X and consuming six small meals throughout the day. I'll eat every 2-3 hours. I cut out pop, candy and processed foods and replaced my former meals with vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, beans, and other healthy foods that aren't human-made. Let me know if you need any help reaching your health and fitness goals.

How do you know your weight loss is attributed to the 6 meals and not the diet/excercise changes?
  • loserforlife
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I would think that if she only ate 1100 calories and didn't eat that 895 calories, she would have lost more than 3lbs. Considering she joined in Nov, 2011. Something is missing from the story here
    LOL I have not dropped down to 1100 calories nor have I worked off 895 calories. I had someone tell me to do this but I wanted to get imput from people who know first. Maybe learning from other what to do and not to do so that I am as healthy as possible going into this.
  • loserforlife
    Options

I have p90x stuffed deep in m,y closet LOL how long a day does it take you to do I may have to dig it out and start doing it congrats on your weight loss.
  • Libbyly
    Libbyly Posts: 175
    Options
    It's the only thing that works for me. I've divided my day down into six meals and the weeks I stick to that I lose pounds.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours or so and when I burn a lot of calories with exercise I fuel my body by eating the allotted calories back. It's working well for me and I stay full during the day which helps me stick with the plan :)
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I find when I eat small meals throughout the day I am a normal human being when I get home. If I eat only breakfast and lunch during the day, I turn into a bear and I eat everything in my path when I walk into the house. I suppose that's why eating small meals works for me. :smile:
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1200 calories a day, divided into 5 or 6 meals eaten every 2 or 3 hours. However, I'm not losing weight. I usually don't do real workouts so I might only burn 100 calories a day.
  • DoubleE615312
    DoubleE615312 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals with 2 "snacks", basically I am eating something about every 3-4 hours. It has worked for me...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

LOL I have not dropped down to 1100 calories nor have I worked off 895 calories. I had someone tell me to do this but I wanted to get imput from people who know first. Maybe learning from other what to do and not to do so that I am as healthy as possible going into this.

Definitely don't drop down to 1100 and burn 895 calories per day. That would basically leave you with the equivalent of having eaten only 200 calories for the day! Please correct me if the recommendation was for you to eat those 895 calories. That said, I eat all day long...probably every 2 to 3 hours. You just have to find what works for you. I have low blood sugar so I actually get cranky and feel stupid if I don't eat for too long! Please feel free to ask me about what i eat, or check out my diary! It's not perfect, but I am losing weight!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

lolz what broscience, increased meal frequency does have a metabolic advantage

Broscience%25252BMeal%25252BFrequency%25252BDiet%25252BThe%25252BRock%25252Bwww.leangains.com.jpg

broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg
  • rebeccaME207
    rebeccaME207 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thats a great question. Im wondering the same thing! I have been eating every 3 hours and usually alot a larger amount of cals for dinner... but, not sure...? love to hear peoples answers cause Ive heard pros and cons... I guess any way you do it just be under you cal goal a bit or at it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!