Diet drinks (soda/pop)

Options
Do diet soda/pop drinks cause you to gain weight or anything?
I didn't think they did, but i've been told they do... which seems insane.
anyone know if they do or dont?

Replies

• stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Water has no cals, is better and (if not bottled/bought) cheaper too. Google the pitfalls of diet drinks.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    They haven't hindered my weightloss at all.... and I drink 2 or 3 bottles a day.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Water has no cals, is better and (if not bottled/bought) cheaper too. Google the pitfalls of diet drinks.
    Googling opinions and non scientific articles isn't proof.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coke zero regularly (not every day, but almost) ever since I started losing and I've had no problems. However I also try to drink a lot of water. I don't see how they would cause you to gain weight/hinder weight loss if they are almost completely calorie free. Some people say that they can cause you to retain water due to "high sodium content" but there isn't even that much sodium in them. According to the MFP database, one 375ml can of coke zero only has 41mg of sodium in it.
  • FaithHopeTrust
    FaithHopeTrust Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I drink mainly diet coke... everyday, at least a litre a day ><
  • jo31071972
    Options
    I'm pretty much 'addicted' to Diet Coke and have been for years!! Don't know if it harms weight loss but trying to drink more water than diet coke and limiting myself to one or two cans a day :)
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The main problem that I have heard is that the artificial sugars in the diet beverages can often trick your body into believing it's real sugar.. thus having the same effects that drink real soda would cause, just minus the calories, ect. So I imagine that could mean higher risk of belly fat, ect.

Also, the effects of diet soda can hinder your weight loss in an entirely psychological way as well.. eating junk food makes you crave even more junk food.

I'm definitely not a doctor but this is what I've heard.. and the craving part is from personal experience.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    there are a TON of threads already started on this topic.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/423169-diet-soda-your-thoughts?hl=diet+soda&page=1#posts-5834355

this is just one of the 50 pages out there
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    why not just give up the sugar inducing coma drink and just drink water? there are packets you can get to put into the water for flavor...
    I havn't had a soda since last january and LOVE it...water everyday..
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't think diet sodas are all that great for you. And you know, if you're drinking them because you like the refreshing fizziness, seltzer is just water with carbonation. When I'm in the mood for fizzy drinks, I drink seltzer instead of soda.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    It's the sweetener that causes minor setbacks in the weight loss department. Your body breaks that down before fat. Unless you are hitting a plateau, you shouldn't worry about stuff like that.

Still, water is paramount!
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dont drink your daily intake calouries in any form, juice/fizzy drink/ cordials etc. Just water and maybe tea and coffee is fine. The extra really isn't necessary at all. the worst part of going from fizzy drink to 'diet' fizzy drink is the phenalalyine (I so cant spell that) but I mean the 'fake' sugar they use causes major health probs anyway!! Avoid at all cost. Be strong, get into water, tea and maybe coffee only to a limit. Nothing else is needed by your body. Juice, nope - take real fruit instead as the huge benefit and plus with this is the fibre also. Best of luck, gave it up myself and feel less guilty. I soooo love drinking water now, it's much better. :)
  • fmw123
    fmw123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm sure its fine in moderation. Not everyday but most days I have a glass of diet/sugar free fizzy drink with my dinner. It hasn't done me any harm...
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do diet soda/pop drinks cause you to gain weight or anything?
    I didn't think they did, but i've been told they do... which seems insane.
    anyone know if they do or dont?
    No, but I do not drink them, because I prefer just water with lemon.
    I do not trust all the chemicals they load it down with. Water is better.
  • hillar77
    Options
    even though there are no calories in diet drinks, any carbonated beverage causes excess gas in your stomach, thus causing it to stretch out. I recently had abdominal surgery and was told by my doctor that because of carbonated soda's, most americans stomachs are 1.5 to 2.0 times larger than they should be. A larger stomach means that you eat more before you get full, thus causing you to gain weight.
  • CJane44
    Options
    I drink of ton of DC every day, YES every day. And I haven't had any issues losing weight or maintaining my weight loss. If that's your biggest indulgence, don't skimp! That's the way I view it anyway :)
  • mezzosoprano89
    mezzosoprano89 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't know if there is actually harm in diet sodas but I stopped drinking soda except when I'm on long travels, like when I drive 3 hours back to school and need some caffeine, but other than that after I stopped drinking them for about a week, I stopped craving them. But I never drank a lot of diet or regular soda, maybe a few times a week at most.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is not good. I dont like diet soda but I drink one can of regular mountain dew everyday with dinner. I still lose weight. Would I lose more if I quit drinking that can of soda? Maybe, but I dont care. I like it and Im not going to live the rest of my life without ever having a soda. So I keep it reasonable. If you really like diet coke, drink it. Just dont drink it by the gallon. You will be fine.
  • smiles4support
    Options
    I was the biggest diet coke/diet pepsi drinker. I read many articles on it & how it was bad for your waist line. I still have one on my cheat day occasionally, but I don't think I miss it at all. I've also read that if u are going to have a pop it's better to drink a regular coke/pepsi than the diet one. GOOD LUCK!