Less Tolerant?

Options
Since beginning on your weightloss journey, has anyone else found themselves to be less tolerant of those around them who should be, but aren't doing the same?

I feel like a bad person, but now that I've seen how easy weightloss really can be, I find myself getting very frustrated and annoyed by some of my friends/co-workers who sit around all day shoving food in their mouths and complain about being fat.

And yes, I tell everyone about this website and how relatively easy it is to lose weight by doing it the right way....but not many listen. Ugh.:grumble:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Yep. When I see someone who's really overweight with a Linebacker's amount of food on their plate, I get irritated. :ohwell:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I don't get frustrated so much as just sad for them. I hate to see people starving and doing something that just isn't necessary when I know there is a better way because I lived it. Or shoving food into their mouths when I know they need so much less!! I think all you can eat buffets are one of the worst things ever invented!!

The fact is, every person has to get to that place themselves and while something will seem so simple to me and make so much sense to me now, I understand that they might not be in that frame of mind just yet and I can talk until I am blue in the face and unless they are TRULY ready to hear it, it will be for nothing.

I usually just let people come to me and ask me if they are interested. I will talk about the healthier recipes I make and how great they are and how I make my own "fun" foods but just modify them to be healthier at home and that will sometimes get them to be interested in what I did.

But, just know that what you are doing is right. When they are ready to listen, they will. Until then, what can you do? Definitely don't stress yourself out because of it though! :flowerforyou:

-Tami
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    It bothers me more when they complain about being overweight and you see them passing bad eating habits on to their kids. Does you 8 year old really need a large whopper meal?!
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Since beginning on your weightloss journey, has anyone else found themselves to be less tolerant of those around them who should be, but aren't doing the same?

I feel like a bad person, but now that I've seen how easy weightloss really can be, I find myself getting very frustrated and annoyed by some of my friends/co-workers who sit around all day shoving food in their mouths and complain about being fat.

And yes, I tell everyone about this website and how relatively easy it is to lose weight by doing it the right way....but not many listen. Ugh.:grumble:

Like spouses. It is hard when they dont wont to go anywhere healthy to eat.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    It bothers me more when they complain about being overweight and you see them passing bad eating habits on to their kids. Does you 8 year old really need a large whopper meal?!

I made my kids watch TLC half ton teens, my youngest son, actually got sick watching it, they were all horified!...I was more upset with the parents then the kids themselves, they didn't get that way alone...but I do see where you're coming from, all this knowledge nowadays, but it's worse then ever.
  • tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Very much so... I've had a few people ask me how I've lost weight, and when I say counting calories and exercising they look all disappointed, like they hoped that I was going to say "I sat on my butt and ate ice cream and cake." They have it in their head that this is very difficult... but honestly, it has been one of the easier things I've done. Heck I can walk up stairs now or jog a minute without being winded and feeling like I'm going to throw up.

I get so easily irritated when I hear people talking about how they would love to be healthier or lose weight, but it is JUST SO HARD... as they eat a third or fourth helping of food. I'm trying to be polite and keep my mouth shut, after all I was doing the same thing a year ago, but wow it is hard.
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Ugh that drives me insane :sad: I took my 2.5 year old son to lunch today and he had half a grilled cheese, a small dish of applesauce, and water for his drink. The people sitting next to us let there 3 year old (I asked cause he looked about my son's age) eat not one but TWO kid's macaroni and cheese meals complete with a side of fries and a milkshake for the drink.....I was shocked. :noway:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Overeating is an addiction, and like all addictions there is no way to make people change. They have to want it enough to make themselves change.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Overeating is an addiction, and like all addictions there is no way to make people change. They have to want it enough to make themselves change.

Maybe for some it could be an addiction, but I think calling it so could be an easy way for people to blame their overeating on something else. Something that cannot be controlled by them but really they just don't want to have to control it.

Sure I have those days where I am like, screw it, I want a peice of cake. But I acknowledge that I wanted it and now I have to work to get it off. Before I began losing weight, I was in denial that I actually had to do something to lose it, and I was ignorant to the fact of how much I was eating. Before if I ate something like spaghetti.....I would pile it on my plate until it seemed I had enough, and if I was still not full (not, not hungry anymore, but just not horribly full) I would go back for seconds.

I agree that they can't do it until they want to, but I'm hesitant to use the word addiction because it takes the responsibility away from that person.
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am less tolerant, but I do notice it more. I do feel for them because they are not lucky enough yet to do what I am doing. My husband and I sometimes like to go to our local buffet restaruant on Friday nights. They have seafood night and he eats salad with boiled shrimp and I get baked chicken and lots of veggies. We have been doing this for a while now. A couple of weeks ago after losing 25 pounds I started looking around as we ate. We were the smallest people in the place. It made me stop and think about what we are doing to ourselves in this country. It is amazing how you look at things depending on which side of the fence you are on. People do have to make up their own minds. Just keep on showing your good example and you may be the changing factor for someone. :smile:
  • Scottslass
    Scottslass Posts: 76
    Options
    I know what you mean. I told my Aunt about this great site (she has to lose about 70 pounds the same as me!) Thinking she would get on board and try it at least! Do you know what she said to me?" I cant lose this weight otherwise ill have loose flabby skin! " I couldnt believe it! She has a heart condition and her doc told her in no uncertain terms that she needs to lose the wweight!
    To some people its just like too much hard work.!

:flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Ugh that drives me insane :sad: I took my 2.5 year old son to lunch today and he had half a grilled cheese, a small dish of applesauce, and water for his drink. The people sitting next to us let there 3 year old (I asked cause he looked about my son's age) eat not one but TWO kid's macaroni and cheese meals complete with a side of fries and a milkshake for the drink.....I was shocked. :noway:

SO BAD!!!!!!!!:explode:

Children are born with a sense of satiety, but we can destroy it at a young age by encouraging that kind of gluttony in our kids. An adult has free will to stuff their face, but children learn this behavior. I think this borders on child abuse.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes from Maya Angelou, quoting her grandmother, ends in...

"What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it.
    If you can't chage it, change the way you think about it."

In My Humble Opinion:
    If you don't like being fat, change it.
    If you can't change it, then shut up about it and change the way you view it.

I discovered this quote around the same time I got tired of hearing my own whining and b!tching. I decided to put out or shut up, so to speak.

I have a few dear family members who complain of their weight, but refuse to eat correctly to lose their excess, no matter how detrimental it is to their health, and they are passing this horrible health to younger generations. It breaks my heart to watch. :brokenheart:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Maybe for some it could be an addiction, but I think calling it so could be an easy way for people to blame their overeating on something else. Something that cannot be controlled by them but really they just don't want to have to control it.

Sure I have those days where I am like, screw it, I want a peice of cake. But I acknowledge that I wanted it and now I have to work to get it off. Before I began losing weight, I was in denial that I actually had to do something to lose it, and I was ignorant to the fact of how much I was eating. Before if I ate something like spaghetti.....I would pile it on my plate until it seemed I had enough, and if I was still not full (not, not hungry anymore, but just not horribly full) I would go back for seconds.

I agree that they can't do it until they want to, but I'm hesitant to use the word addiction because it takes the responsibility away from that person.

I agree totally. I think the word "addiction" is used way to often as an excuse for bad behavior. While some people may be addicted to food, I am willing to bet that the majority just overeat. We live in a society where everyone is in a hurry and looking for the quickest way to do everything. People just don't sit down to a good meal as much as they used to. I am guilty of it. My family's lives are so busy that we are hardly ever home at the same time. I make a lot of crock pot meals or things that can be reheated that are healthy but sometimes fast food is the only way they will get anything to eat. Instant, fast, right now that's the way people are and they don't think about the crap they are putting in their bodies as long as it is quick. I find it amazing that we are so medically and technologically advanced yet we are overweight and unhealthy. When I was a kid, we never ate out and my mom was a single mother who worked. We played outside, had only 4 channels on the TV and didn't even know what video games were. My kids are 17 and 21 and have their lifestyles pretty much set. They do eat healthy and they do eat crap but they do know the difference. My daughter was amazed the other day when she found out I was running on the treadmill. She figured if her almost 48 year old mom could do it, she could to. WRONG she lasted 30 seconds then stopped and walked the rest of the way. She is by no means overweight but is out of shape. She has been working out with me more since. My son is a runner so I don't worry too much about him. Teach by example.