Clean Eating help please?

Options
Good morning!
I hope your New Year has started out great, as I know mine has!
This year I want to steer away from all the preservatives and substitutes and start eating healty and clean.
Here is the problem:
I am not sure exactly what I am looking at or how extreme I want to go.
Besides switching back to sugar from Splenda and switching from Lean Cuisine as my backup pizza, to something more healthy I have no clue?
I started at 188 and I am now at 138, I think it is time to ween myself off all the unnatural stuff and start eating clean, for real.
Not only will I be grateful for suggestions, but website or book references would be greatly appreciated.
I have "heard" about this type of lifestyle, but don't know where to look.
Thanks for your attention and your help!
Jenn

Replies

• mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Pick up the book: The Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. There is also Clean Eating magazine, which usually has tons of great recipes and also some meal plans to help get you started. There is also a Clean Eating group on this website you can join.

Good luck!
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    eat clean diet by tosca reno is great.

Really what it comes down too is simplify. Roasted veggies with sea salt and olive oil is a perfect supper.
    have a piece or 3 of fruit.
    One thing that works wonders is making up 5 containers or more of food and setting them up in a lunch bag, keep it with you no matter where you go then if you are hungry it is right there.
    Stick to the outside of the grocery store.
    Try using honey or agave instead of sugar..I have been off sugar for two months and now even sugar tastes like splenda.
    People say use stevia but I am not a fan of it.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day it is easy to eat clean..Just make it simple.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I knew there had to be something out there!
    Thank you!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    eat clean diet by tosca reno is great.

Really what it comes down too is simplify. Roasted veggies with sea salt and olive oil is a perfect supper.
    have a piece or 3 of fruit.
    One thing that works wonders is making up 5 containers or more of food and setting them up in a lunch bag, keep it with you no matter where you go then if you are hungry it is right there.
    Stick to the outside of the grocery store.
    Try using honey or agave instead of sugar..I have been off sugar for two months and now even sugar tastes like splenda.
    People say use stevia but I am not a fan of it.

Hope this helps. At the end of the day it is easy to eat clean..Just make it simple.

Thanks so much!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Pick up the book: The Eat-Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. There is also Clean Eating magazine, which usually has tons of great recipes and also some meal plans to help get you started. There is also a Clean Eating group on this website you can join.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!
    I knew there had to be some information out there somewhere!
  • jljc_2010
    Options

I will read this during my lunch break!
    Thank you!
  • barbsandra
    Options
    Good Morning, I just wanted to pass on some info to you. There is a magazine and books available that may help you - it's called Clean Eating. You can find the website on line as well. I do hope this may help. Good Luck.
  • princessf1
    princessf1 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Clean Eating Magazine has wonderful recipes! I have made several and plan to use this often, I just subscribed. I planned my menus for the week around a couple of these recipes and can you believe I spent LESS at the grocery store this week?

Thank you for your post and the informative replies, I want to learn more about clean eating also.
  • cjnolt
    cjnolt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I try to follow the eat clean diet too!

Here are a few websites that I have found to be helpful:

eatcleandiet.com
    toscareno.com
    the graciouspantry.com
    cleaneatingclub.com
    thejoyofcleaneating.com
    billandchelle.com
    fitandclean.com
    eatingcleanworks.com
    cleaneatingonline.com
    eatcleaneatlean.com
    cleancuisineandmore.com
    cleaneatingmag.com
    oxygenmag.com
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Good Morning, I just wanted to pass on some info to you. There is a magazine and books available that may help you - it's called Clean Eating. You can find the website on line as well. I do hope this may help. Good Luck.

Thanks so much!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Clean Eating Magazine has wonderful recipes! I have made several and plan to use this often, I just subscribed. I planned my menus for the week around a couple of these recipes and can you believe I spent LESS at the grocery store this week?

Thank you for your post and the informative replies, I want to learn more about clean eating also.
    Thanks for the suggestion!
    I am glad this post may be helpful to more than just one of us!
    Good luck!
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    That is awesome! I try to follow the eat clean diet too!

Here are a few websites that I have found to be helpful:

eatcleandiet.com
    toscareno.com
    the graciouspantry.com
    cleaneatingclub.com
    thejoyofcleaneating.com
    billandchelle.com
    fitandclean.com
    eatingcleanworks.com
    cleaneatingonline.com
    eatcleaneatlean.com
    cleancuisineandmore.com
    cleaneatingmag.com
    oxygenmag.com

Wow this is super!!!!
    Thanks so much!
  • barbsandra
    Options
    Wow, thank you so very much for this information. I'm looking forward to checking the websites out. I'm sure I will find great info.
  • sambo155
    Options
    Awesome info here! I also want to eat clean and don't know where to start. Things that I thought were good choices were actually only better choices than the crap I was eating; not necessarily *good* choices, though. I think that's one reason I haven't been able to lose yet; I didn't know as much about healthy eating as I thought I did. Now I want to learn and make a life change; not just "diet".

Great thread! :flowerforyou:
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    Awesome info here! I also want to eat clean and don't know where to start. Things that I thought were good choices were actually only better choices than the crap I was eating; not necessarily *good* choices, though. I think that's one reason I haven't been able to lose yet; I didn't know as much about healthy eating as I thought I did. Now I want to learn and make a life change; not just "diet".

Great thread! :flowerforyou:

Thanks and good luck!
  • JuliaDaigle2011
    JuliaDaigle2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The clean eating works if we decide to do it. I seen people do it and the belly bulge is gone. Its hard to do but if you want it badly you will do it.
  • jljc_2010
    Options
    The clean eating works if we decide to do it. I seen people do it and the belly bulge is gone. Its hard to do but if you want it badly you will do it.

Hi Julia...Wonder what makes it so hard?
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Tons of great resources here!!! Thank you all!!!

It wasn't as hard to make the move to eating clean as I thought it would be. I am currently on a 70/30 ratio of clean/processed. Not perfect but way better than 10/90, right? One of the things I heard so often is that it is expensive and time consuming. I have a crazy busy schedule and have found it doesn't take up a lot of my time and my grocery bill has actually gone down about 28% (yes, I calculated it). And frankly, food just tastes better and I get to enjoy more of it. ;)
  • maribethp
    Options
    Hi friend! My family and I belong to a CSA (community supported agriculture) called Eating with the Seasons (Nor. Cal.). I'll bet if you look online, you will find other CSAs or farm co-ops in your area. Every week, I pick up a box of organic, in season produce from my friend who is a distributor. It costs $25 a week. I can even order grass fed beef, free range eggs, organic cheeses, and a ton of other stuff (at an extra cost) Anyway, I find we are eating a whole lot more fruits and veggies that are in season, organic, and delicious. I hardly buy ANY produce at the store anymore! I'm glad to be reducing my carbon footprint and supporting local farms as well. Give it a shot!