help with competing trainers- please??

Options
OK so a couple of weeks ago I started a new gym. It's been really great. They have a well-equipped weight room (which is what I wanted), and it is staffed with a trainer who works each shift. My work schedule is such that I can't really go at the same time each day- so I know that one day I will get the "morning" trainer and another day the "afternoon" trainer. But the last two weeks work was kind of light so I made a point to go in to get the same trainer every day, and kind of outline a plan.

Yesterday, a different trainer was there- which I expected. He was really nice, came over and introduced himself and asked if I wanted to work out alone or if I wanted his help/advice. So I told him that I am kind of new at weight lifting and of course I want his advice, but I also told him that I had kind of worked out a plan with the other trainer. BOOM- so he says ok well here's my plan- no, don't do that machine first, do this one. Oh, and skip that one, you shouldn't do them both the same day. When I tried to tell him the other guy told me to do it this way, fatal error- he got all offended and said OK well if you don't want my help... So anyway I kind of gave in and just did the workout the way he wanted. The upshot: he showed me some new things I like! That's what I wanted! But overall I like the other workout I had better - I did more. Then my previous trainer showed up, and of course acted kind of offended that I took the advice of the other guy. Oh and BTW- the guy who was off for two weeks over the holidays and showed up yesterday- of course he is more "senior" and more experienced.

Bottom line: I want to learn from BOTH of them, and do my OWN workout. Any suggestions on how to do this? If I were young and cute I would be flattered - but at this point it's just kind of an annoyance!!

Replies

• jwilds1010
    jwilds1010 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So as a professional in the field, I suggest that if you are going to the gym at differnt times of the day and want to work with a trainer, which sounds like you do, then its a great way to get in different workouts if you can't meet with the same trainer everytime. Keep in mind that every trainer has different training methods, ideas, beliefs etc. so you are going to get a lot of different opinions, exercises, suggestions and advice if you do not work with the same trainer every time. You may over time find the trainer that you feel most comfortable with and only work with that one on the days you can and decline the help from the others.

It may be best to only work with one trainer who you have talked to about your goals and what your looking to accomplish, sometimes if there are to many players, the game may get confusing and frustrating. It's best to stick with whom your comforatable with and that's going to help you reach your goals.

Also it is not common to switch from trainer to trainer, very confusing for all parties. That said, those trainers should have acted professional and not have been offended for you receiving help from his/her coworker, making you feel uncomfortable. But you should try sticking with one trainer unless you all have an understanding. Sounds like yourgyym offers free training service, maybe that's how it works there.

Good luck with your goals!!!