Any idea on how to avoid junk food?

Options
I can't seem to find the will power to avoid junk food when its in my house! I don't want it and I know it's silly to let something have such power over me...I just want to be able to walk by it and blow it off....Any ideas? Thanks

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    dont buy it...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Have it but in smaller doses. Fun size treat instead of full size ones works wonders for me.
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If it ends up in the house I tuck it away out of sight and try not to think about it and instruct the hubs to 'take care of it'. I'm usually good at not buying it, but it is in the same aisle at the grocery store as my Crystal Light so that kinda sucks! I try not to even look at it!
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    We swtiched and bought 100 calorie snacks - they are not the greatest but its the only snack that I allow into the house -- it helps a lot.

I now buy a lot more muchie sized fruits and veggies - forces me to not munch or munch with more control.

Don't even go down the snack aisle at the grocery store - it has actually become less costly to shop due to it.
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    Salsa is low in calories. Try it with low fat multigrain chips, and get the other stuff out of the house.
  • ibpammy
    ibpammy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Wish I could just not buy junk food, but there are others in my house that object. My plan tonight is to hang in my bedroom, so I won't be tempted to snack.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    dont buy it...

Buy fruits and veggies and put them front and center. I keep the Christmas candy gifts out of sight, and the fruit basket in the middle of the kitchen.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    Just because I'm blunt ...

Don't buy it.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    dont buy it...

Buy fruits and veggies and put them front and center. I keep the Christmas candy gifts out of sight, and the fruit basket in the middle of the kitchen.

Yep! Make sure you have plenty of healthy alternatives. I almost always bring a snack to work with me: raw almonds or other nuts, fruit, or leftovers so I am not tempted to indulge in something not so good. Also drinking hot green tea can help me resist sweets when I crave them.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Either A) Don't buy it (can't eat what's not there) or B) after you buy it separate it into single serve baggies and then you can eat 1 whole baggie of snack (and then log it)!!
  • Mdtrent2012
    Options
    100 calorie packs! They have some really good ones, my favorite are the oreos! They also have low calorie Ice cream, But I have not tried any, so I couldn't say how those are. But don't starve yourself of your favorite treats! Just eat them in moderation : )
  • karnypops
    karnypops Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I never buy chocolate or crisps for the house just healthy foods, that way if I want something I know I'd have to go all the way to the shops to buy it which means you just end up having the healthy option instead. Also I have highlights hot chocolate in the house so if I ever feel like something sweet I just have that, it satisfy's the craving and is only 40 cals :)
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I try not to buy it - but when I do buy it for my Hubby and son I don't eat it. Once I start - I can't stop - even if I portion it out - I will just eat 3 or 4 of the portioned baggies :blushing: . If I am not strict with myself I will go overboard.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    dont buy it...

This!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    dont buy it...

This!

Yep, this is about the only thing that works.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    It's much easier to just not buy it, true. But when you share the household with others (hubby, teenagers, etc.) it's more challenging. Try finding out what kinds of "junk" food the others like that YOU won't be tempted by. When my teenagers were still home, I would buy the chips that they liked that I didn't or snacks they liked but I didn't. I love Doritos, as do they. But they also like funions - ew, no thanks. So I would buy the funions that didn't even tempt me. They were happy, I was happy.
  • MaggieINC
    Options
    I buy things my daughter likes and I know I won't eat. That way she gets her junk food and I'm not tempted.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i dont buy it, its much easier to resist in the supermarket than it is in my house for some reason!! once its in my house it calls to me :laugh:
  • run5230
    run5230 Posts: 11
    Options
    I am new to My Fitness Pal and saw this suggestion - I love it! What a great idea. I have a terrible habit of snacking on whatever is handy - especially if it's chocolate or say a gummy bear LOL - but Salsa I love! :happy:
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just don't buy it - no-one in the house needs it either so it doesn't need to be there! If others complain (husbands, wives, children, etc.) tough - you're doing them a favour and they should be supporting you!