All 69 flights

Options
Good Morning all,

First, let me thank all of you who posted such supportive remarks following Joanna's "outing" of the nastiness that was sent to me. My BlackBerry was chiming all through the night with email notifications that someone had sent me a personal message. ;)

Yes, I agree with you - there is no point in focusing on the negativity of a couple people. Also, I am pretty thick skinned, those hurtful comments don't weigh on my mind and do not take away the pride I feel for myself in completing Sunday's Stair Climb in Seattle. It was a huge personal accomplishment!

For those who asked how it went - it was fantastic!

69 floors, 1,311 stairs, and 788 feet of vertical elevation and a total of 5,400 climbers!

My "team" had 244 members and we raised over $30,000 (hopefully that will grow a bit as donations are not due until April 4th). Our team wore bright yellow shirts with the picture of 1 year old Caleb on the front. Caleb is currently battling Leukemia and will continue chemo treatments for the next 3 years.

As a whole the event has already raised $500,000. I felt incredibly lucky and proud to participate.

My only goal was to make it to the top, and I did, in 26 minutes and 14 seconds. Short of giving birth I have never been more amazed or more proud of what my body had accomplished! (The fastest time was under 8 minutes!)

There was plenty of alone time in that stairwell, (they spaced the climbers out from the beginning) so with each step I was reminded why I was there.

I definitely had a couple of "Dear Jesus" moments... as in "Dear Jesus, please help me make it to the top!"

As I walked up the last few flights of stairs I couldn't hold back the tears. Some were proud tears, some were thankful tears, and yes, some were sad tears. As I walked through the doorway Caleb's Mom Sara was standing there holding her precious little sleeping boy. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Again, thank you to those who have been supportive - I can't wait to improve my time next year!

If you missed my post on Saturday, it's titled "This weekend" - you can learn a bit more about why I was there. Click on the link for Caleb's story & you can see the amazing little boy!

Replies

• ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

First, let me thank all of you who posted such supportive remarks following Joanna's "outing" of the nastiness that was sent to me. My BlackBerry was chiming all through the night with email notifications that someone had sent me a personal message. ;)

Yes, I agree with you - there is no point in focusing on the negativity of a couple people. Also, I am pretty thick skinned, those hurtful comments don't weigh on my mind and do not take away the pride I feel for myself in completing Sunday's Stair Climb in Seattle. It was a huge personal accomplishment!

69 floors, 1,311 stairs, and 788 feet of vertical elevation and a total of 5,400 climbers!

My "team" had 244 members and we raised over $30,000 (hopefully that will grow a bit as donations are not due until April 4th). Our team wore bright yellow shirts with the picture of 1 year old Caleb on the front. Caleb is currently battling Leukemia and will continue chemo treatments for the next 3 years.

As a whole the event has already raised $500,000. I felt incredibly lucky and proud to participate.

My only goal was to make it to the top, and I did, in 26 minutes and 14 seconds. Short of giving birth I have never been more amazed or more proud of what my body had accomplished! (The fastest time was under 8 minutes!)

There was plenty of alone time in that stairwell, (they spaced the climbers out from the beginning) so with each step I was reminded why I was there.

I definitely had a couple of "Dear Jesus" moments... as in "Dear Jesus, please help me make it to the top!"

As I walked up the last few flights of stairs I couldn't hold back the tears. Some were proud tears, some were thankful tears, and yes, some were sad tears. As I walked through the doorway Caleb's Mom Sara was standing there holding her precious little sleeping boy. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Again, thank you to those who have been supportive - I can't wait to improve my time next year!

If you missed my post on Saturday, it's titled "This weekend" - you can learn a bit more about why I was there. Click on the link for Caleb's story & you can see the amazing little boy!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for what you have done. I think I speak for alot of us here when I say we are beaming with pride for what you accomplished.
    To see that sweet little face at the end of your trek must have made it all worth while! It's great to see someone building something in this world and not tearing it down.:smile: Big hugs to you.
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Thats great! good for you. Welcome back!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I'm so glad there are people like you in this world; people who care about others. Don't let anyone drive you away from here. But if you do feel like you have then know we wish you all the best and you will be remembered.~Take care of yourself ~Karen
  • FUNinTHEsun
    FUNinTHEsun Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    thanks for the update and congrats!!!!! what an accomplishment!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Woo - Hoo! What a wonderful accomplishment!

Way to go!!

:flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! As someone who lost a brother to cancer many years ago - THANK YOU :heart:
    What you did was incredible. Way to go!!
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Good for you, and thank you.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What an amazing experience that must have been. Congratulations on accomplishing such an incredible goal.

I'm glad you decided to stay on the site and didn't let the negative energy stop the great thing that is MFP.

:smile:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    WOW thats awesome, your stregnth brings tears to my eyes.
    you are AWESOME, INSPIRING, MOTIVATING, and a really GREAT person for what you have done to help this child.
    thank you for your story and i hope your back to stay :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
    j~
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    One last thing before I go - I am hoping the the persons behind the nasty messages are reading these threads. Not because I need them to see the error in their ways, but because I'm hoping they will learn the important lesson here. We must always lead by example.

After all, you never know, a week, month, year, or even 10 years from now you may realize that I wasn't climbing all those stairs for my self. I was climbing them for your parent, child, sibling, best friend, or spouse. You never know when an illness like this will strike and possibly take your loved one away.

I was climbing for them. Climbing for you.

May you all continue to be blessed!

To laugh often and love much:
    To win respect of intelligent people
    And the affection of children;
    To earn the approbation of honest critics
    And endure the betrayal of false friends;To appreciate beauty;To find the best in others;
    To give one's self;
    To leave the world a little better,
    Whether by a healthy child,
    A garden patch,
    Or redeemed social condition;
    To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
    And sung with exultation;
    To know even one life has breathed easierBecause you have lived...This is to have succeeded.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Bjackson18
    Options
    What a wonderful rewarding experience!! I can only imagine how AMAZING you must have fet, and even still feel. If only there were more people like you in the world. :bigsmile: I have been keeping up with the posts, about negetivity, and such regarding your accomplishments...i just have one question. HOW Did YOU LOOSE YOUR BABY WEIGHT?! my daughter is 19 months old, and im still struggling with that little "pouch". i will admit i havent been the most motivated person. but im so ready now! i feel like this website is giving me the little kick in the but i need, now if only i could get some ideas from someone who has accomplished exactley what i need to!
    Congrats on everything!! keep doing a great job!

Brittani:heart:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Clearly your heart is the biggest thing about you
    You are an amazing young woman
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all,

Your story made me cry!!! :ohwell: :cry:
    That such a great story Adrianne. We are sooooo proud of you honey!
    You did an amazing thing..... job well done:drinker:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:

ps: are you staying? :ohwell:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    As I have lost two of the most amazing people in my life to this disease, and almost lost a third I thank you deeply from the bottom of my heart. It is a very unselfish thing to do, not just because of your time but also because you truly cared about the people you are climbing for. :drinker: I am very proud of you, Excellent job!!!
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Oh my. Your story is so touching. God bless you and little Caleb.
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    You ROCK! 69 flights of stairs in 26 minutes! Such a great cause too. I don't think I know anyone in this day and age whose life hasn't been touched by cancer in one way or another. Blessings to you and don't let the naysayers get you down. You can do it, you are doing it, and you inspire me to keep at it too!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I missed that this year. I'd love to try to do it next year.
  • SoulfulLori
    Options
    From someone battling a blood cancer I say THANK YOU TO YOU AND YOUR TEAM!

You and your team should be proud for your effort, the awareness you brought and the money you raised!

KUDOS!
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    We never know if we may or may never need that support in our not too off or near future. My heart gives 110% of Thanks to you and EVERYONE else who made that raising possible.

You mentioned you did a lot of Dear Jesus' asking to help you make it to the top.

I bet you were doing a lot of Thank you J
    esus' too when you finished. :heart:

Your amount of time that you covered the 69 flights of stairs is amazing.