Has anyone failed?

Options
I have one actual friend on here who isn't just a MFP and I was just wondering for his sake. Has anyone who has been truly committed to this website failed? I mean anyone who truthfully logged every single workout and every calorie of consumed food? Anyone who really participated on here with multiple MFP's and in the forums? Without a break? Is there anyone who has done that who hasn't gotten any closer to his/her goals?

I often find that when friends and clients approach me with a concern about nutritional health that it turns into me feeling like they need convincing to commit to their goal. If motivation wasn't a factor what would America statistics say?

Replies

• aimsypoo
    aimsypoo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely think motivation is a huge factor! It definitely is for me...
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can say, any 'diet' i have ever done wholeheartedly, worked...it only failed when I allowed it to. IT helps 110% to have a support system and to stay motivated and stay active. Keeping yourself challenged is key. I have a LOT of weight to lose, so I need to keep myself surrounded by the dieting world...I cant afford to give up!
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I truly think that motivation, patience, and consistency are the only way. There is no other magic!
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask because I was thinking that this may not be working for me... Before I joined I lost 40lbs. I was exercising and being really careful about what I ate... But now that I'm logging everything I don't see any results. Not sure if it's because I got lazy over the end of November and all of December or if it's because I can add junk and still fit it into my calories here...
    Pre MFP I wasw really really strict with myself. I should be so much closer to my goal...
    I don't want to over think this... I just want to get slim and healthy!!!
  • RuninGirlCas
    RuninGirlCas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel like I have failed. Although I do feel more fit and strong my weight number hasn't really budged. Which is okay but signing on every day and seeing how much progress people have made some times can be discouraging.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well, I started in February at 115lbs, with a goal of 107lbs. Now I am at 127lbs. Failed? Definitely. MFP's fault? No, MFP will not do the work for me. But it didnt help either. Now I just browse through the topics in case I'll find something interesting. Dont log my food most days and dont log exercise at all. It just didnt work for me :ohwell:
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I failed, but then I found out I had an underlying medical condition contributing to my failure. I was committed though. I had a dietician call me a liar to my face, I had a doctor tell me I couldn't possibly be writing everything down. I was though, but it wasn't working. Fortunately discovering how I needed to eat has led to some success.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Cant be afraid of failing! everyone fails... its the ones that never give up n keep pushing that are called winners!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    You NEVER FAIL, you brush your self off and keep pushing....You may have some obstacle in your way, but you can either go around them , push them out your way , go over them, or find out what needs to be done and blow them away.. Must have faith in your self to succeed..
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Of course people who use MFP fail. It's an enormous site full of all sorts of people in all stages of their lives. There are bound to be some people who either don't lose the weight or don't keep it off, particularly as the stats on keeping off large weight losses (50 pounds or more) are rather dismal.

There is no magic bullet. If there were, everyone would just use that to lose weight and no one would be overweight!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I just create calculated errors. And I enjoy them.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Personally, I think the only way you ever fail is if you give up. Failing is when you just simply stop trying. And sadly, some people quit right before they were on the brink of something great! I can say I have honestly done what I am supposed to (exercising, tracking and water intake) and the scale didn't show me what I felt like it should BUT there are other ways of showing me that I had in fact made some type of progression....how my jeans fit, my shirts, my food choices, my energy level, how well I sleep at night....there are many factors that show that you are moving in the right direction....even if the scale doesn't.
  • alglines
    Options
    Absolutely! I got down to my perfect weight and fitness then put on 20 pounds and lost all of my good habits. The problem was a change in thinking. I forgot that there’s no going back. Those changes you make to get healthy aren’t temporary. The only thing that truly works isn't "dieting,' it's changing your lifestyle entirely.
    Get it through your head that while children try to get out of unpleasant tasks like homework and chores and have parents to force them back in line, adults are supposed to be adults. You have to accept that few people really want to put down the cheeseburger and exercise; it’s a maturity thing. You don’t have your parents to force you, you’re the parent. You also have to manage your sleep patterns, avoid abusing anything (alcohol, drugs, TV, Ice Cream, Chocolate) that interferes with a healthy lifestyle and say good bye to excuses. It's REALLY tough, but you just have to keep reminding yourself that you don't rent your body, you own it. Take care of it, dress it nicely and have pride in it.
    Work on changing your thinking. Try reading the Complete Confidence Handbook by Sheena Hankins. I really found that it helped me turn a corner.
  • memengwaa
    memengwaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    how do you post topics like this? i can't figure it out!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Well, I had a year-long plateau! :laugh:

Seriously, I logged and worked out and did not lose weight for most of 2010. I got a Fitbit for Christmas that year and on Jan 1 of 2011 began being meticulous about my logging. No more estimating or guessing, I weigh and measure everything that goes into my mouth. I also started running, which is the most difficult form of exericse for me. Between Jan 4 and September, I lost nearly 30 pounds. I started slacking again and have gained a bit of it back. So now, i'm back to being meticulous and working out hard. I will lose these last 20 pounds this year...no excuses.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who as "failed" but then I'm not sure how you are defining "failed". Not sure how you want to classify succcess either. Motivation is important as is having a realistic, sustainable goal. And that goal shouldn't be just about the number on the scale.
  • nifnerf
    nifnerf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I got down to my perfect weight and fitness then put on 20 pounds and lost all of my good habits. The problem was a change in thinking. I forgot that there’s no going back. Those changes you make to get healthy aren’t temporary. The only thing that truly works isn't "dieting,' it's changing your lifestyle entirely.
    Get it through your head that while children try to get out of unpleasant tasks like homework and chores and have parents to force them back in line, adults are supposed to be adults. You have to accept that few people really want to put down the cheeseburger and exercise; it’s a maturity thing. You don’t have your parents to force you, you’re the parent. You also have to manage your sleep patterns, avoid abusing anything (alcohol, drugs, TV, Ice Cream, Chocolate) that interferes with a healthy lifestyle and say good bye to excuses. It's REALLY tough, but you just have to keep reminding yourself that you don't rent your body, you own it. Take care of it, dress it nicely and have pride in it.
    Work on changing your thinking. Try reading the Complete Confidence Handbook by Sheena Hankins. I really found that it helped me turn a corner.

Awesome. Advice.
    Thanks!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I have one actual friend on here who isn't just a MFP and I was just wondering for his sake. Has anyone who has been truly committed to this website failed?
    I don't understand if the question is: "Is the MFP 'method' a guaranteed success? provided you don't have a particular medical condition" - even though it is not technically a method but more a tool (and to that question the answer is yes, most people will succeed in losing weight, in 99% of the cases provided they are serious), or if the question is "can one do his best - but IMPROPERLY for his own needs and goals - and fail?" (the answer is yes too, since if you think you are doing it correctly, but doing it wrong, then things won't happen).
    I mean anyone who truthfully logged every single workout and every calorie of consumed food? Anyone who really participated on here with multiple MFP's and in the forums? Without a break?
    IMHO I would fail because I would be demotivated (I personally can't do without a break). However if someone does this, then his health will get better.

Note that I didn't say the person will get closer to his goal, only that his health will get better.

Also, "truthfully" does not mean "correctly". I can truthfully believe that the sun revolves around earth, yet it does not make it true (so I am truthful but incorrect). What is correctly then? Depends on the individual needs, and goals.
    Is there anyone who has done that who hasn't gotten any closer to his/her goals?
    Probably depends on the goal, doesn't it? If you want to bulk (gain muscle, for a man) then surely being on a calorie deficit won't help much, and you should see your weight reducing more than increasing.
    If you set your goals to X and you use the tools improperly (and by tools I mean MFP but also exercising, and food), then you might actually not get closer to your goals.
    I often find that when friends and clients approach me with a concern about nutritional health that it turns into me feeling like they need convincing to commit to their goal. If motivation wasn't a factor what would America statistics say?
    Yeah, it has to come from within really. It won't happen if they are not committed to their weight loss.

If asked on the spot, 99% of the people would like their body to be different (more muscular? less fat?) but only 1% of these are probably ready to make the efforts that will actually change their body.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have put on between 5-8 pounds on 3 different trips lasting at least 5 days over the last 6 months...so that would count as a "failure" when I toss out everything I know and have learned about being healthy and choosing food debauchery instead. In fact, I'm still working on my Christmas-New Years weight right now!
    But failing doesn't mean having to give up; and that is where the rubber meets the road. If you fail you can give up and quit or you can knock the dust off and try again; having learned from that previous experience. And honestly, I think failure can make you better and stronger!
    The problem is that people want the "magic bullet" and instant results forgetting that putting on weight takes time, and may actually take longer to take back off. Along with that, too many people have been spoon fed and coddled for so long that exerting any amount of discipline is foreign to them.
    Now I'm going to get back to learning from my most recent failure and letting that make me a little bit stronger!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Failure is simply feedback that you need to try something different! So, unless you quit, you just keep going.

Most people may have a setback or two. The most important thing is to get off the campus and keep trying!