Kettlebell ~ calories burned?

Options
Hi! I was hoping someone with a heart rate monitor might know what an average kettlebell class burns? I guessed 200 calories for 45 minutes. Does anyone know where I can find estimates until I'm able to get a heart rate monitor?
Thanks!

Becky

Replies

• kenne
    kenne Posts: 13
    Options
    According to a web site I found 0.09 calories per minute per Lb of body weight. i think that is high as the trainer was using 53lb kettlebells however I think you can probably double 200 if the class is quick paced.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    According to a web site I found 0.09 calories per minute per Lb of body weight. i think that is high as the trainer was using 53lb kettlebells however I think you can probably double 200 if the class is quick paced.

It depends I think. If kettlebells are used properly they're a pretty immense cardio workout... try doing swings for 15 minutes and see what I mean :laugh: I'm thinking 200 cals for 45 minutes is too low considering how fast it can make your heart rate go up.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    From what I just read, a person could burn up to 1500 calories per hour (according to the kettlebell workout websites)! Wow! That's a bunch!

Anyway, if you do a google search on "calories burned calculator", you will see a very large variety of calculators that can help you out with figuring out your calories until you get a heart rate monitor. For a kettlebell workout, I'd probably log some aerobics (light, moderate, or heavy, depending upon your perceived exertion) and some weight training (again, light, moderate, or heavy, depending upon your exertion). The tricky part is figuring out how much of your exertion comes from the aerobic part and how much comes from the kettlebell part! You could be conservative in your estimates, too. I recently read a post from Tami (TamTastic) who said that she has not used a HRM--just used an online calculator, I think, and made some conservative estimates, etc. You may want to send her a message in case she doesn't see this thread.

Hope this helps!
    -Deborah
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Thanks for the answers, advice, and websites!!! :flowerforyou:
    I really want a HRM :tongue: so I will always know an accurate calorie burn!
    Thanks again for helping me find an answer!

Becky
  • sseavy82
    Options
    Hi! I've been searching on line myself, because I just started working out with a kettlebell. I'm using the 10 lb. with a dvd that has a 3 workouts includes warm up/ cool downs. I think total time was 50 min. I had my heart rate way up! I walk 60 min a day and this way out did my usual walk. The weight plus cardio has to be more that 200! I read one site that put it at more like 450 which is what it felt like! Wow! I'm thrilled to find this kind of workout....Now I don't have to worry about finding a gym in my small town! I'm trying to do 3 days a week with swimming or walking on the other days.
  • sld63
    sld63 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been searching on line myself, because I just started working out with a kettlebell. I'm using the 10 lb. with a dvd that has a 3 workouts includes warm up/ cool downs. I think total time was 50 min. I had my heart rate way up! I walk 60 min a day and this way out did my usual walk. The weight plus cardio has to be more that 200! I read one site that put it at more like 450 which is what it felt like! Wow! I'm thrilled to find this kind of workout....Now I don't have to worry about finding a gym in my small town! I'm trying to do 3 days a week with swimming or walking on the other days.

What dvd do you have? I have a 10# kb and was looking for a good dvd to use it with...
    Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yeah, there's really no way to tell. We have no idea how hard you worked, so anything we say here would be a complete and total guess, it could be anywhere from 150 calories to 900 calories.

if you don't have an HRM, then you can use percevied rate of exhertion to track your calories, it'll have a pretty big margin for error, but at least you'll be in the ball park.

here's a decent tool for PRE

http://www.realjock.com/workout/1056

and here's how you can estimate your calories based on your PRE number (actually on your % max heart rate, but the above site gives you that based on your PRE)

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

FYI for easy measurement your Beats per minute = %Heart rate (from PRE site) multiplied by your max heart rate.

so for instance, my BPM today is this: I'm 36 so my max heart rate is 184 (220-age), so 184 times 72% or 184 x .72 = 132 Beats per minute

so my BPM is 132.
    NOTE: there's a more accurate Max HR calculation, but for our purposes this should be sufficient (we're estimating with the PRE anyway)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Becky

HRMs are great tools, but keep in mind, a HRM is not going to be much help in this case.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Becky

HRMs are great tools, but keep in mind, a HRM is not going to be much help in this case.

Are you refering to the EPOC?
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options

What dvd do you have? I have a 10# kb and was looking for a good dvd to use it with...
    Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing. What DVDs do you have?
  • Azdak
    Options

Becky

That , the fact that kettlebell exercises are not steady-state aerobics, so the HR/VO2 relationship is uncoupled, and the fact that, even if it wasn't, upper-body exercises overestimate VO2 by 20%-30% compared to lower body (aerobic) exercise. There is no reason for anyone to wait to buy a HRM to determine calorie burn for routines like this--looking up some general information, guesstimation, and trial and error will be just as accurate.

It would seem to me, and please share any other details you might have come across, that the current trend towards higher-intensity, HIT, circuit training, tabata, etc type workouts is going to require a new way of quantifying overall energy expenditure (including EPOC), if indeed one is possible given such a varied response.

Maybe I should invest in that metabolic cart..............
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Becky

That , the fact that kettlebell exercises are not steady-state aerobics, so the HR/VO2 relationship is uncoupled, and the fact that, even if it wasn't, upper-body exercises overestimate VO2 by 20%-30% compared to lower body (aerobic) exercise. There is no reason for anyone to wait to buy a HRM to determine calorie burn for routines like this--looking up some general information, guesstimation, and trial and error will be just as accurate.

It would seem to me, and please share any other details you might have come across, that the current trend towards higher-intensity, HIT, circuit training, tabata, etc type workouts is going to require a new way of quantifying overall energy expenditure (including EPOC), if indeed one is possible given such a varied response.

Maybe I should invest in that metabolic cart..............

I tend to agree on all fronts. The HRM is good for a couple of things with the High intensity type stuff, but calories isn't really one of them. Then again, if you're in good enough shape to do Hight Intensity, you probably aren't looking to straight calorie burn anyway. I know I don't care if I burn 200 or 600 calories, it's all about fat burn these days for me, that and increasing my ability to do hard exercise.

I'll tell ya what the HRM is good for with HIIT though, it's a great way to know when to slow down and start back up, if for no other reason, that's worth it for me. that and knowing your average and high heart rates are invaluable for HIIT training.

I know that if I haven't poped up above 88% for a High HRM Max and haven't averaged between 70% and 75% max then I'm not doing it right. Next to a print out of your actual heart rate during the exercise, this is pretty good.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Interesting information. Thanks guys!
    I actually couldn't bring myself to pay for a HRM. I've decided if I'm ever going to make a large investment in a technical piece of equipment, I'm really going to take the plunge and get a BodyBugg. Interestingly enough, I'm reading more people who are down to their last few pounds or body fat percentage investing in them so they can tweak their diet, exercise, etc and reach that goal.

I've also figured out from trial and error that regardless of the MFP exercise calorie guides, as long as I keep my intake between 1800-2000, I lose. Over that, I don't...regardless of MFP's calories allotment for the day. I was initially obsessed with making sure I accurately counted every calorie burned so I could eat all those exercise calories! :tongue:

Again, thanks for the input! :smile: It was very helpful and educational!

Becky
  • smartspork
    Options
    I weigh 110 lbs and my HRM told me I burned 400 Cals. I did however do 1 minute jump rope in between sets so that would up my calorie burn.
  • stephaniewbrooker
    Options
    thx for that add, it is a little more realistic than just saying 20 calories per minute. I would definitely be overeating and wonder why im not making progress!
  • Azdak
    Options

I'll tell ya what the HRM is good for with HIIT though, it's a great way to know when to slow down and start back up, if for no other reason, that's worth it for me. that and knowing your average and high heart rates are invaluable for HIIT training.

I know that if I haven't poped up above 88% for a High HRM Max and haven't averaged between 70% and 75% max then I'm not doing it right. Next to a print out of your actual heart rate during the exercise, this is pretty good.

You mean you should use your heart rate monitor to.....monitor your heart rate during exercise??

What a novel concept.
  • esstee1
    Options
    Guys, try these DVDs:
    www.artofstrength.com
  • dmhurt
    dmhurt Posts: 1
    Options
    The LiveStrong website at http://www.livestrong.com/article/360711-calories-burned-with-kettleballs/ shares some research:

"According to the American Council on Exercise, a study conducted by the University of Wisconsin and La Crosse Exercise and Health Program showed that participants burned an average of 272 calories during a 20-minute workout. This equals a calorie-burning rate of about 13.6 calories each minute, from the aerobic effort alone. Adding the anaerobic effort from the muscle exertion brought the total calorie-burning rate to 20.2 calories per minute. This brisk rate of calorie burning may be due to the interval-training format used in the study. The rate at which your body burns calories may differ from the study results."

Interesting information that the average is so high, which would make it an amazing workout!! I'm starting a class on the 14th and can't wait!!!!

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/360711-calories-burned-with-kettleballs/#ixzz1Bh4sIrhn
  • str8beth
    str8beth Posts: 1
    Options
    Based on my search i found this information in a couple of places. I am going to add this to my diary.
    :noway:
    The study involved 10 men and women between the ages of 29-46 who performed a typical kettlebell workout by doing kettlebell swinging and lift exercises to a certain rhythm during a 20-minute period. All were experienced with the use of kettlebells.

The participants' fitness levels were measured before and during the workout by measuring heart rate, oxygen consumption, and blood lactate.

The results showed that the average participant burned about 20 calories per minute during the kettlebell workout, which equates to 400 calories during a typical 20-minute kettlebell workout.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find the study where I saw an average MET level of 6.3 for kettlebell training. That is what I use to determine an estimate of calorie burns from kettlebells.

Here are a few research articles, though, that I'm finding where it is being studied more. Should give you a few ideas of ways to estimate your calorie burns. :wink:

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf

http://www.multibriefs.com/briefs/acsm/active9-7.htm

http://www.kettlebellscience.com/scientific-kettlebell-articles.html
    This one has links to the journal articles, but you have to be an ACSM member to see the full text articles from their site. I haven't explored all of them yet to find the right one with the #'s I've seen and use.