How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• krystinacox
    Options
    I do daily. I think it helps keep me on track and as someone else mentioned if it starts going up or staying up, I know I need to change things a bit.
  • Jhulet
    Jhulet Posts: 32
    Options
    Daily, but I only "weigh in" (ie, record it), once a week. I know that my numbers will fluctuate and it's the overall that matters, so I don't panic if I'm up a pound or two from the day before.

^^ This....but sometimes I -do- panic! :sad:
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    daily, each morning.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    At the beginning I often got depressed weighing everyday, especially after a gain. But now I've lost some I feel that weighing everyday isn't so bad, it helps me stay on track - and if I weigh everyday I have a lot less chance of letting myself go again.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Every morning, first thing after getting up and hitting the bathroom. I log my stats every day and watch the data for deviation from the hypothetical trend predicted by the standard "3500 kcal = 1 lb". So far so good. Any short term gains of 1 - 3 lbs during the week are easily explained by water retention from my exercise regimen. Every week's low is lower than the previous week.

The fact is that weight fluctuates on a daily basis, and between hours of the day. We all know this, so don't get so worked up when you see it do so. Make your plan and stick to it. The science works.
  • HBBrown78
    HBBrown78 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    So, I used to weigh myself multiple times a day.... I mean, I know it will fluctuate and all... but I just wanted to see. I'm nosey like that. But about 2 months ago the batteries in my scale died (it takes those big disc batteries) and I haven't replaced them. I haven't weighed myself since (not even at the gym scale) and I don't think I'm going to weigh myself until I go down a jeans size. I bough goal pants and figure that as long as I log my cals and exercise I will just use clothing to guage myself. It's been very calming to let go of that aspect of the weight loss. I'm better able to focus on my body and how it looks as opposed to a number on the scale.

I like this- it can get obsesive to weigh in all day. I havnt even weighed in yet. I will when i go back to the Dr for my monthly shot then it will be the same scale as when I started and if something isnt working my Dr is right there for help.
  • anaranjo39
    Options
    Weight loss is not reflected only on the scale, specially if you are over 40 and excercise routinely. I weigh myself once a month. I have not lost much weight, but I've decreased four sizes. I rather go by what I see in the mirror than what a number dictates on the scale.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I think I have a problem, I weigh myself at least 6 times a day. I only log my weight once a week though
  • Jen2Bfit
    Jen2Bfit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, it has become a habit, or maybe an addiction. I only check-in once a week though

I know I should only check once a week as well, but for the moment I guess I am not disciplined enough to do that-lol.:tongue:
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    once a week at the same time of day in the same naked outfit, that way I know its an accurate week!
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I weigh multiple times a day. It helps to remind me that weight fluctuates, but overall there is a downward trend. I don't do so well when I only weigh once a week. It's harder to know if it is just an "up" or "down" weight day or if that is my "real" weight.
  • CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, to keep myself in check. I know there will be fluctuations, but it helps to keep me in check.
  • rcrgirl84
    Options
    I have a habit of jumping on the scale each morning before jumping in the shower . . . its depressing since you go up and down each day, but ugh!
  • msjamartin
    Options
    I weigh at home on Saturdays each week and I do a mid-week gym check on Wed. Since I do my measurments/weight monthly at the gym and I know the scales are different than at home, I like to keep an eye on it both places. I can't wait until I reach my goal and then I'll only weigh at home once a month and at the gym once a month (when taking measurments) just to keep in check.
  • sziemba1
    Options
    Once a week is what I do -- if I do it more often then that I get discouraged. But once a week always makes me happy usually with good news.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Daily, and I expect fluctuations. But when the trend starts going up, I like to catch it early and check up on myself. It's too easy to fall off the wagon, and getting back on is harder than hanging on in the first place!!

This.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    daily. I know i shouldnt, but i am telling myself that its because i want to see and learn about how my body fluctuates. I think i get a little panicky if i go a whole week. i cant help but think "what if i am gaining all week and dont even know it!!?"
  • edmondskm
    Options
    Everyday. Sometimes more.
  • jexebelle
    Options
    Once every 1-2 weeks.
  • LowCarbsHighHopes
    LowCarbsHighHopes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Our scale is placed close to our bathroom, so it seems like almost everytime I use the restroom I weigh myself .. Very obsessive, I know... but I only "officially" record my weight every Thursday morning, when I wake up after I use the restroom.

I like the suggestion of ditching the scale & buying a new pair of jeans to fit into ... that's actually a good idea, because in the end it's not so much about how much we weigh vs. how many inches lost, etc.