The elusive weight loss ingredient...

Options
Sleep. Really? All my efforts are in vain because I can't get a decent night's sleep? After losing 100 pounds, I entered the plateau from Hell. I've been stuck for at least 3 years, maybe 5. They all run together. Oh I can gain it easily enough. One bad impulse meal and I'm up 5 pounds. I can usually get those back off, but can't ever go any lower. Eating back my exercise calories was a disaster for me. I had my metabolism checked on Monday so I could decide exactly how many calories I need to eat each day. We discussed my caloric intake, food choices and exercise. All those are fine. Next..sleep...yeah...not so much. And water...ummm.... The girl very firmly told me that I MUST get at least 7 hours sleep and get all my water in. She said it like I was a complete irresponsible idiot, because sleep is basic. She does not understand that sleep is my fondest desire. The elusive, mythical state that I have heard about and long to attain.
Last night was a typical night. I have been going to bed around 9:30 because my husband sets his alarm for 5 so he can get up and go pick up my daughter and take her to work. She doesn't have a car and the bus stop is at a bad part of town and she has to catch it at ten minutes to 4 in the morning to get to work by 6. So till she gets her car fixed, we have a 5 AM wake up. This morning she's off, so we decided to sleep in until 7:30. I went to bed at 10. Nine and a half hours of sleep would be wonderful. I fall asleep immediately.
Within an hour, I am up, ridding myself of some of that water that it is OH SO IMPORTANT that I drink. I go back to bed and go back to sleep. An hour later my husband is up, turning on the bathroom light in our room (couldn't use the hallway bathroom?) and making all sorts of noises in there. This is the third night in a row. Who's daily BM time is midnight? He comes back to bed and it takes me a while to go back to sleep. 1:30...my 4 year old grandson appears at my bedside. I slide over and he crawls in. I usually don't even wake up for this, but...time to get rid of more of the WATER. Another trip to the bathroom. I get back in bed, slide him over to the middle and go back to sleep. 2:40...the idiot who works weird hours is up walking his dog in the school yard across the street. He is whistling for his dog. Both my dogs go nuts..running up and down the hall, barking and panting. It takes several minutes to get them settled. I go back to sleep around 3. 4:00...my just turned 3 year old granddaughter wanders in.."Can I sleep in you bed?" I said, "Get in on PaPa's side." At this point I was sandwiched between my grandson and my dog. No room for the girl. It's a queen size bed. PaPa got out and went and got in the grandson's bed. My granddaughter is sweet as can be but she is a screamer. We are working on that. I put her in time out, won't listen to her until she can speak normally, whatever. But that's in the daytime. I don't wanna play at 4 AM, so its easier to let her in than to send her back to her own bed and have her scream. So I try to go back to sleep. My husband flips and flops in the bed across the hall. After 10 minutes I tell him I will sleep in there. He says he's fine, then proves it by beginning to snore 10 minutes later. I lay there for about 30 minutes considering all forms of suffocating him, then get up and close the door of the room he's in. I lay back down and try for another 10 minutes to sleep. The dog has gotten down and is now under the bed making annoying licky noises. In desperation I get up and rummage through my desk for foam ear plugs. If I use them too often they make my ears itch and ache, but it's been a while, so I stick them in. Blissful quiet. I doze off and the kids who have been still up to this point, begin to tap dance. They kick and twitch every 60 to 90 seconds, shaking the bed. Exhausted and fed up, I hiss....Stop moving or I'm putting you both back in your own bed! It stops briefly and I am able to go back to sleep for about an hour, only to be awakened by Lydia whining that she wants her blankie. Apparently she dropped it when she got in bed. I tell her to go find it and true to form she howls louder. I get up, walk around the bed, pick it up off the floor, throw it on the bed and go back to my side. She can tell I'm not happy, so she cries even louder. My husband comes in to see what's going on. Both kids start saying they want breakfast. It's 6:30. I give up and get up to fix them breakfast.
Yeah, Blondie, I need more sleep. Easy for you to say.

Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    thank you for making me smile. I hear ya. Try to nap today??? :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Melatonin with a glass of red wine.
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Took the melatonin at 8. Maybe I'll try adding the wine. Or did you mean for the kids?
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the dogs, husband and grandkids!! SLEEP ACHIEVED! hahaha
    But that's not going to happen... so sorry about not getting a good night's sleep. I hate waking up at 3am to go pee. It's really REALLY annoying. And my husband gets up at weird hours to go do his business, but he does one better and turns on the radio, LOUD. =/
  • janet_pratt
    Options
    And my husband gets up at weird hours to go do his business, but he does one better and turns on the radio, LOUD. =/

I would SO be doing something to that radio! My husband snores horribly. I could hear him through the closed door. I can hear him when I get up, close our bedroom door and go down the hall and sleep on the couch. No one should be able to make that much noise with just their nose! I've considered inserting peanut M&M's into his nostrils on occasion. He doesn't think that's funny.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you do about the kids, but if he hasn't been already, your husband should be checked for sleep apnea. Of course then you get the joy of sleeping in a room with a cpap.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    And my husband gets up at weird hours to go do his business, but he does one better and turns on the radio, LOUD. =/

I would SO be doing something to that radio! My husband snores horribly. I could hear him through the closed door. I can hear him when I get up, close our bedroom door and go down the hall and sleep on the couch. No one should be able to make that much noise with just their nose! I've considered inserting peanut M&M's into his nostrils on occasion. He doesn't think that's funny.

As a wife of a snorer...I think the peanut M&M's are VERY funny:laugh:
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I hear ya on this. I have trouble sleeping in general. There are days that my weight goes up 5-10 pounds just from not sleeping. And sometimes I cant sleep for a few days, but the moment I sleep, my weight goes down.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    so sorry you had a rough nights sleep. I hate nights like that. Hope tonight is better and you wake up 10 lbs thinner :smile:
  • sal0118
    sal0118 Posts: 84
    Options
    How about ambien. I take it if I do not fall asleep or I do wake up at 1:00 am and can't get back to sleep. I experimented and have been cutting it down to just a fourth of a tablet. I found it did the same as a full tablet. I keep it at bedside and only use it on an as needed basis.
  • janet_pratt
    Options
    I hear ya on this. I have trouble sleeping in general. There are days that my weight goes up 5-10 pounds just from not sleeping. And sometimes I cant sleep for a few days, but the moment I sleep, my weight goes down.

The grandkids are going for a weekend with their other grandparents, on thursday I think. If I can get Snoreky The Bear to stifle it, maybe I can get a few good night's sleep and drop 30 pounds!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

I'd rather hear the radio then any bodily functions at that hour of the night! hahaha
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you there!!! My daughter, without fail, cries between 10:30 and 11:30. I pray for 10:30 because that's what time I'm going to bed. But then she's sometimes up 2-4 times with little cries...that I hear, even with ear plugs....which I wear nightly!!! And luckily most nights I can sleep through my son coming into bed.....but not last night either!!!

It will get better!!! And try to drink the majority of the water before 5 pm!!! That helps at night!!
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sleep.

you know a website i can order that from?
  • janet_pratt
    Options
    How about ambien. I take it if I do not fall asleep or I do wake up at 1:00 am and can't get back to sleep. I experimented and have been cutting it down to just a fourth of a tablet. I found it did the same as a full tablet. I keep it at bedside and only use it on an as needed basis.

Is that by prescription? And do you feel groggy in the morning? Maybe a quarter would work and I wouldn't feel fuzzy. Worth looking into.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Melatonin with a glass of red wine.

Hold the wine.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa41.htm

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/news/20110215/alcohol-at-bedtime-may-not-help-your-sleep

ETA: My husband has to take meds to sleep every night. He takes some form of diphenhydramine hcl (usually found in tylenol pm, but can be found without the tylenol part). It always helps him. I've heard chamomile helps, too. Not a fan of tea? You can pop a few Hyland's baby teething tablets. Completely homeopathic and loaded with chamomile.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If you're a weightlifter.. then this is the best stuff to take.

http://www.dymatize.com/products/recovery-amino-acids/56/gaba/

Puts me to sleep almost immediately.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    Have you tried honey? It sounds ridiculous but it works. You take a tablespoon of honey before bed and it helps you sleep. It fuels your liver for sleep, and I get the best sleep ever when I take the honey. I take mine right off the spoon which was a bit shocking at first because you'd expect it to be liquidy but it is chewy, lol. Supposedly it helps burn fat while you sleep too but I don't believe that's true ... it helps with sleep for sure though! Worth a try!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    As a 28 year old gay male... i can say we have almost nothing in common - but your writing as absolutely unhinged me! Laughing so hard - that my co worker is looking at me like i need to be committed to a padded room.

Boy oh boy... I now know that kids, dogs, and relationships will not work for me! I enjoy my sleep to much! lol.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Trust me on this-- I know where you are:

1. ashwagandha google it. take it. relax and get some awesome sleep.
    2. hire an au pair.