I want to talk to the MEN

Options
13»

Replies

• gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    reach out to baypathgradlyns--she motivated her fiancee and he's doing great now. not sure if her profile is public or not but she wrote a blog all about it :)
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My wife started getting serious on working out a few years ago. I was always the one that kind of worked out but by no means was I in great shape. Once she started looking really good I kind of felt I needed to step up my game as well.

I only wish she would have offered the steak and beejay platter. ;)
  • rufwil
    rufwil Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not a man but I do have a suggestion. He's not going to do anything he doesn't want to but they usually just want to be helpful. Get him to hold your feet while you do crunches... that kind of thing. Soon he may be down there with ya. The only caveat is he may take all the credit for your fitness. Whatever...

I like this reply, he is going to want to change. He probably will not want to do it if he gets direct hints or suggestions, in fact that may help to discourage him in some ways. Another suggestion may be cooking healthier meals for you and him at night, fish dinners, chicken, lean steaks in small portions, anything he may like but keeping it low in calories and fats. Advise him of the progress 'you' are making and how much better 'you' feel. He may fall right on track with you. Good luck.
  • robcheshire
    Options
    Hi there

I can really relate to this feeling of your husbands and also agree with the fact that people look younger, better bodies or all that Crap that goes with low self image. Some of the people he may see on here may be shallow enough to think that this site is just for ' health, fitness and Nutrition'.........wrong !!!!! it is about support, and through support comes friendship and through friendship comes motivation !!!!

I am just starting my journey again as I fell off the wagon with food....I know that people on here are some of the best people they can be, they talk about there day and things going on with everyday life....because they are human, have pressures and stresses which make them take the eye off the ball and ignore themselves.

I would be more than happy to be his friend and start a journey with him.

Kind regards
    Rob
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for everybody's thoughtful feedback! We've been happily married 16 years, and I want to keep him around many more!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Hell I say trade him on on a newer model, better milage, lots of perks, and they usually come with a warranty. I know it sounds harsh but hey it eorked for me.
  • ukjake3
    ukjake3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can motivate by fear, & u can motivate by reward. But both of those are temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation. - Homer Rice
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You know, I really truly love my husband. I've known him since I was 16. We have had eight children together. I want to help him be a healthier, happier person, not threaten him with divorce or infidelity. I've been working to lose weight and get in better shape for more than four years and he has always, always been supportive of me. I know what he does to help me... I want to know what I can do to help him. Maybe it's the same kinds of things, but men can have different needs so that's why I asked. I was really hoping to hear from the guys their perspective on what would be or has been helpful to them. Maybe I didn't word my question correctly- or maybe some of ya'll are just messing around giving silly answers.

Anyway, thanks again to those who responded sincerely. I appreciate it! :flowerforyou:
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Chuckle... my original post got flagged and deleted, but it had been quoted like six times.

I stand by that advice, even if it is contrary to the subjective moral standards of the MFP Mod Squad.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't eat it too.

I can and I will!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Cook him a steak, give him a BeeJay, and tell him that he won't get either again until he drops 10lbs.

I think this would probably just piss mine off, honestly.

(That, and he knows that I can't withhold. :laugh: