Elliptical Question....

Options
Hey everyone,
I got a question regarding the Elliptical machine... Every time I use it (approx. 30-40 mins) my feet go numb. Is this normal? I am at a healthy weight range and excersize regularly. But for some reason, I experience numbness in my feet when I use this machine.
Thanks for the replies!
Cheers!

Replies

• MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Bump..... I have had the same issue. I thought it was my shoes.... I would love to know the reason for the tingly feet :)
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    The bottoms of my feet sometimes go numb if I stay on the machine 45 minutes or more. I think a lot of people have felt this before where the bottom of their feet start feeling numb and it works its way up. Reposition your feet on the foot rests a number of times throughout the workout and this should help. It simply because your feet are not moving during the ride on the elliptical yet they are baring your weight. Similar to standing in one position for a long period of time. You might also try different shoes or even try going barefoot on the elliptical and just see if the numbness varies. Your shoes could easily contribute to your numbness.
  • sugarnspice8
    Options
    mine go numb and start burning :(
  • pavan12
    Options
    You guys might want to go see your doctor for this, it maybe something. I use the ellipitcal for 35 mins a day for 4 days a week and I dont feel anything
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    like stated above...I get this too when I stay on for 45 min. Try moving them around a little bit or roll your feet as you are on it. It is because you are not moving them. When you run on a treadmill you are rolling your foot and hitting the ground . It's natural. Try to switch it up if it's uncomfortable.

Due 20 min on the machine, then bike, then come back to it. Or go lift and come back and run again.
  • amielcampbell
    amielcampbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have that issue too! I have tried to start moving my feet during my work out...
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Some ellipticals have such steep transitions and lack of natural flow that your body isn't use to the movement. I am lucky enough to have these "AMT" machines at the gym that are similar to ellipticals but you can define your own stride.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    Me too and I asked a trainer at my gym.

Unlike the treadmill,.....we don't actually lift our feet up on the eliptical machine. Its a circulation issue,.....if it is bothersome to you, the advice of an earlier poster is correct,....reposition your feet every few minutes,......otherwise, it isn't anything to worry about.
  • Kim28dav
    Options
    This happens to me too but I did some research on it and it is normal. Try to move your feet or reposition them a few times during the workout and it should help.
  • jojowink
    jojowink Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i remember i used to get that too. i tried loosening my laces (but not too much) and also trying not to press toes against the "toe base". i keep my feet further back.

are you new to using the machine- maybe just your body getting used to the movement?!?!
  • wannabehealthy1980
    Options
    This happens to me all the time and sometimes moving my feet around helps, but it doesn't really seem to bother me that much.
    I also googled it a while back and it does seem to be normal.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, this happens to me every time I do the elliptical too. I asked a lot of people and finally found this website that explains it:

http://www.ellipticalhome.com/elliptical-trainer-sleepy-foot-article.html
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You guys might want to go see your doctor for this, it maybe something. I use the ellipitcal for 35 mins a day for 4 days a week and I dont feel anything

Most people's feet go numb. You are in the minority. Thirty-five minutes isn't necessarily long enough for it to happen. Go an hour and I bet you'll experience it.
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Awesome replies :) Thanks!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that I am not alone but for me it's usually only two toes lol... I was worried at first but then I chocked it up to having finger toes LOLOLOL
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    No, I'm not new to the machine. I've used it several times before even for years. I always try to reposition my feet, but still... same thing. :(
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    GET BIGGER SHOES!!!! When you work out, your feet fill with blood. You shoes are too tight and are constricting them. Get a half size bigger on the shoes you are wearing for the elliptical. It helps.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    This makes me feel better. Happens to me all the time!
  • Hbenson99
    Options
    If your Machine allows it try adjusting your stride length. I use to have the same issue until i reset the length. :smile:
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say it happens to me too! Glad to see it's "normal".