Lunches on the Go

Options
mlh150
mlh150 Posts: 28 Member
My Husband is in sales and spends the majority of his day out on the road. He has no access to a microwave making it more of a challenge to bring healthy meals. I know that he says he doesn't mind eating a sandwich every day but I know that gets boring as do his snacks as well.

What types of meals and snacks do you make that can be easily transported and eaten without any extra heating or preparation?

Replies

• susandondo
    Options
    A really good thermos is great for packing healthy, homemade soups, leftovers, etc. How about wraps? I think they're pretty good and there are all kinds of healthy tortillas out there now. Good luck!
  • annestelle
    Options
    I LOVE the "flat out" brand wraps. They make an awesome pizza or wrap, and are a lot heartier than a lot of other ones I've tried (and only 100 calories).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you sure he thinks the sandwiches are boring. My husband works in an office with a microwave, fridge and toaster oven, but he still likes to take a sandwich every day. I would find that boring, but he really likes sandwiches.
  • mlh150
    mlh150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you sure he thinks the sandwiches are boring. My husband works in an office with a microwave, fridge and toaster oven, but he still likes to take a sandwich every day. I would find that boring, but he really likes sandwiches.

Yes...he has mentioned that he gets so tired of taking sandwiches but knows that he is limited in what he can take.
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Put whatever he uses for sandwich filling in one or more container/baggies and add a baggie of whole grain crackers for a change of pace, as in cheese and crackers, peanut butter and crackers, tuna salad and crackers, etc. Also yogurt can be a great staple and is delicious mixed with a little crunchy cereal (bring separate and mix before eating or it gets soggy and yucky). Also agree that a good thermos will keep leftover stews, soups, casseroles, even pasta and sauce hot enough to make it to lunch time.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I get the uncle ben's express microwave rice and microwave it the night/ morning before and take it with me in a little lunch box with a fork for lunch. It tastes really good cold. Also if you have a lot of leftovers in the fridge you can chuck almost anything else in with it to make it more interesting.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Most leftovers are better at room temperature, in my opinion. The only thing I ever heat is soup, which I imagine would stay warm in a thermos.
  • re08scue
    re08scue Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husband likes cold leftovers. But he's weird that way. :)
    We make a big salad the night before and have extra for lunch the next day. Add some chicken, a bit of cheese, a boiled egg...make it interesting.

Or thinnly slice some leftover beef and mix it with red onion & red pepper and Oil & Vinegar dressing. Nice over a bed of romaine.

I love my bean salad:

1/4 black beans
    1/4 kidney beans
    1/4 frozen corn
    chopped red pepper
    chopped red onion
    Dressing: Olive oil & Basalmic vinegar with a pinch of splenda.
  • lindsayva
    Options
    I eat in my car a lot as well because of work. Here's a few ideas:

Hummus (chickpea dip) or Baba Ganouj (eggplant dip) with veggies (I like carrot sticks and cucumber) and whole wheat pita wedges

Pasta Salad - made with whole wheat pasta, good to eat cold, add veggies and a protein and you're good to go. My favourite is rotini pasta with cherry tomatoes, broccoli with a little feta and light Greek dressing.

Try mixing up the sandwich a bit by roasting veggies like bell peppers, eggplant and portabello mushrooms in the over for the sandwich - these taste great cold and add a lot of flavour to a sandwich/wrap.

If you like trying new recipes cold spring rolls are delicious. They can be prepared on the weekend and refrigerated for the week. Change up the veggies and the protein for different flavours. Here's a good recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/recipe.html?dishid=7380

Another variation of this is the lettuce wrap: http://food.chatelaine.com/Recipes/View/Chicken_lettuce_wraps

I hope some of these help!