Spinning out of control

Options
I had lost 20 lbs through this site, but gained it back as I became unable to handle the stress around me. I am going to lose the weight again. How do you all deal with stress when it feels like your world is spinning out of control. I always go for sweets to make myself feel better. Obviously that needs to change. How do I handle stress better?

Replies

• mizzcase
    Options
    Go to the gym, thats what I do. When I'm stressed out, I throw on a pair of sneakers, grab my keys, and go to the gym and get on the elliptical for 90 minutes. Not only am I NOT sabotaging my diet, I'm actually helping my health by exercising.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Try yoga and/or learning to meditate. It really helps to know HOW to calm your mind, and you can do it any time. It also helps to take up hobbies to de-stress like taking a walk, sewing, scrapbooking, writing, anything to do with your hands/mind instead of eating.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym, thats what I do. When I'm stressed out, I throw on a pair of sneakers, grab my keys, and go to the gym and get on the elliptical for 90 minutes. Not only am I NOT sabotaging my diet, I'm actually helping my health by exercising.

This!!! x1000000

Exercise is a huge stress reliever... There isn't a time i haven't walked out of the gym feeling ten times better than when I went in....
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Enrolling in a yoga class my senior year of college to help manage my stress was one of the best things I did. I highly recommend it, not just for the stress relief either. I also agree working out can be a great stress reliever.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Lot onto the site, search the posts, and make comments. Keep yourself busy. I know, easier said than done.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I always feel better after I work out!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Exercise. Find workouts that you LOVE LOVE LOVE. It's SUCH a buffer for me, and helps that, for example, I can look forward to salsa class after a grueling day at work.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed I tend to go to one of three things - read a good book on my bed in quiet, get on the treadmill with music and walk or get out of the house and walk through stores.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had lost 20 lbs through this site, but gained it back as I became unable to handle the stress around me. I am going to lose the weight again. How do you all deal with stress when it feels like your world is spinning out of control. I always go for sweets to make myself feel better. Obviously that needs to change. How do I handle stress better?
    Handle stress?

You just do, because anything that moves you closer to your goals is an item you keep in your life, and anything and anybody that moves you away from your goals gets cut away.

There is no easy answer except that you must make fitness a priority - period.
    Anything that gets in the way you roll over or it rolls you.

You are in control - remember that.
  • Tskitzo
    Tskitzo Posts: 42
    Options
    Like everyone is saying. Go do an exercise that you love to do. Exercising actually helps release endorphins which will make you happier. That's why people always feel so good after a nice workout. :3
  • bakingsuit
    Options
    Find something that takes away the stress for you. If it's a hot bath and a glass of wine, do it. If it's a long *kitten* swim or run, do it. If it's a cross word puzzle, DO IT.

It doesn't matter what you do so long as you're doing something to reduce the stress...and it's not sweets. Often times, I want to go for the sweets or treats, but a glass of water or tea and an activity and I"m ok.
  • jnanof
    jnanof Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    MAke sure you are giving your body the best nutrition. Junk food makes stress worse. Fuel your body with healthy choices all the time.
    MEDITATE!! Its like a miracle cure for everything! Do these things as routine not only when you are stressed. Building a strong healthy foundation of body and mind will make you more resistant to being overwhelmed by stress in the first place.
  • SunshineCarrie
    Options
    The first answer that comes to mind is exercise. My favourite is running - it exhausts me physically but gives me a mood boost I wouldn't trade for anything else. Stress flies away as miles fly by. And by the end of my run I usually have figured out an action plan to deal with anything I have to deal with.

Good luck finding your way to keep stress away!
  • BlueStar1989
    BlueStar1989 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I find time to myself and do something just for me even if its just a nap or music that I like.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    Instead of food, exercise (take a walk, hop on a bike, do Wii games that are fitness related). Get a great smelling candle and glass of wine or drink of your choice and relax in the tub but remember, DON'T GRAB THE SWEETS or you will regret it and no amount of stress is worth how you treat yourself over doing something you know you will regret. If you want something that is high in fat then just eat it but in moderation only. don't overindulge and don't do it everyday. That's my motto.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Relying on food to make you feel better is a mistake in many ways, yes it may seem like the food is comforting but you're back here now and what you feel is guilt of those sweets you ate to feel better, so after all you don't feel better at all.

Make sure you do and eat things that make you feel better about yourself. Exercise, eat healthy, next time you're feeling like your world is spinning out of control and you feel like eating a whole box of chocolates grab a carrot and feel instantly better because you took the right option, you beat yourself and took the healthy route out of there.

Good luck! :)
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I go for a run or bike ride...It's the best FREE therapy there is. It's amazing what the "natural, body producing drugs" can do for the stress level.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It's easy to say exercise or go to the gym... and while that might be the ideal choice, sometimes you just want to sink your teeth into something, so............ Why not plan for those times when you just have to put something in your mouth, by planning out some healthy snacks that require a lot of chewing.
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hit the gym or take a walk. I've had a stressful last few months. The gym has been a lifesaver for me. I also have a couple of friends that I workout with. That helps a lot too.
    Hope this helps!!
  • Vurbach
    Vurbach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Enrolling in a yoga class my senior year of college to help manage my stress was one of the best things I did. I highly recommend it, not just for the stress relief either. I also agree working out can be a great stress reliever.

I did this too! The yoga class was AAAmazing... I always fell asleep in it though-guess it was good because I was so relaxed after my horribly stressful Anatomy & Physiology Class! :tongue: