Those of you with a KINDLE...

Options

Replies

• deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    The cheapest one is $79 I think. A bit much if you're getting it just for this one book, but a good deal if you're going to use it a lot. No monthly fee on mine, not on any of them as far as I know. You can get all the details at Amazon.

Thank you. And no I would like to keep it and use it foe-ev! :) I had actually been eyeballing them on the train and had thought about looking into them but I think this book really did it for me.
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    I got a kindle for Christmas in 2010-- after saying exactly what you said "I love books, I like to turn pages etc"
    I LOVE my Kindle and I've started reading SO much more because:
    -Books are available at an instant- once I downloaded the second and third book in the "Hunger Games" series from a hotel in Nicaragua which barely had running water:)
    -Reading on the Kindle is easier on my 40 something eyes. I can increase the font size, change the orientation etc.
    -The device is super light--i think it weighs a few ounces. I currently have 200+ books on my Kindle and it can hold up to 1500.
    -Kindle is a great product- great battery life and super user friendly.

Books can be bought via Amazon.com and they are priced per book, no memberships are available. Prices are typically slightly lower than a (new) hardcover/ paperback version. There are literally thousands of free books available, some of them classics and others self published. Also, some local libraries are beginning to explore the loaning of e-books but I have not pursued that yet so I don't know how it works.
    Just go here to find out more about the Device: http://www.amazon.com/kindle-store-ebooks-newspapers-blogs/b/ref=sa_menu_kstore3?ie=UTF8&node=133141011

Lastly-- Pillars of the Earth was one of my all time favorites. You have good taste in books!
  • Brwneyz72
    Brwneyz72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got the Kindle Fire for Christmas, but already had the basic Kindle w/Wi-Fi. I don't read a ton, but I do read when I can and I LOVE it! I only wish I would have gotten one sooner. Like you I carry my book with me and read when I can so having all my books on one device is so nice. I, like you, used to keep the books as trophies so it took me a while to get over that, but now I wouldn't go back to paper books if you paid me (well, ok maybe I would). There are no fees except for the price of the books you download, which are usually cheaper than the paper or hardback versions. My husband and I have saved a ton of money going to the Kindle! You should get one - you'll be glad you did!!
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i got a kindle fire for my birthday/christmas. love love love love love it.

their are things that cost money like amazon prime services which allows you to do alot, but it is not necessary.

and for the kindles that just do books, all you have to buy is the book. and there are tons of free books availble as well.
    and very good current free books too.

one of the thinks i love about my kindle is adjusting the font. lets face i am 43 my eyes just are not what the used to be. not to mention being way do for a eye visit and most defianlty perscription change. but with my kindle i can make the font larger so i can read it without straining , can't to that with a book
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I have a Nook Tablet and the Kindle on my phone. I personally would have bought the Kindle Fire over the Nook Tablet but I received it as a gift. The Kindle books seem to be a lot cheaper than the Nook books. Which ever one you get you will love it. :)
  • hjjohnson08
    hjjohnson08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my Kindle. I carry it in my purse and read while my husband is in the "man" store or on my lunch break or any spare minute I can find. I get most of my books for free through Amazon and a lot of them are really good reads. I got a $50 gift card to Amazon last year for Christmas and it took me until July to use it up because of the free books I was getting. I was a die hard book lover too, but I don't miss having the book in my hand at all. It's much lighter to carry and goes anywhere. There is not monthly charge. I have the wi-fi only model with the keyboard and I shop the Amazon store from my laptop and as soon as I turn my Kindle on, the new books are downloaded.

As a previous user mentioned, it does suck if you try to use it as a browser, but that's the only negative I have about it and really, it's not intended as a browser, so I can't hold that against them.

As for the Kindle Fire, I've heard mixed things about it, but my immediate concern was the eyestrain as it does not have e-ink technology.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have a Kindle and love it. Like you, I love the feel of a book but they really start to take up a lot of space. My husband got me the Kindle for my birthday last year and it took a bit to get used to but it was definitely worth it. There is no monthly subscriptions and *generally* buying the kindle version is cheaper than the physical book. I say go for it! :)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I went ink-reader vs. tablet - I look at a computer all day and it bothers my eyes - the ink-reader's (kindle - kindle touch & nook's cheapest) look like paper and have no backlight - so I just ordered a cover with a built-in light for when I want to read in bed. I love books too - but these are just so easy to travel with. And you can can download from the library. I don't need to stay super current or buy new releases - so I've made a deal with myself that I'll only purchase books $10 and under. Amazon features 100 under $3.99 all the time and there's some okay choices in there. Good luck! Oh - I checked & Pillars is availble for $8.....
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    i've had a kindle for about 2 years and i love it to pieces and haven't read a "regular" book in awhile.

they're pretty easy to use and there are no monthly fees (unless you get a kindle fire and want shows/movies/music, then you have to have an amazonprime membership).

some of the newer releases are not much cheaper than the hard cover version which is a bummer. however, there are quite a few freebies on amazon and they have deals with certain titles being $.99-$3.99.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I received the Sony e-reader for Christmas last year. I am in Canada, so when I bought my mother and mother in law one this Christmas, I went with the Sony. I haven't had any problems with it. I believe there can be issues with the Kindle in Canada. The Canadian version is the Kobo, almost every review said they have horrible customer service.
    All the Sony ones now come with wi-fi connection. Like others said, you don't buy a package, you just connect to the computer or use the wifi where available to download books.

I felt the same way you did but I love my ereader. Mostly because I can get a book anytime.
    If there is a book I really like or want, i will buy the real version, so I can keep it. But I read too much to keep all the books, I end up with far too many.

PS - I loved Pillars of the Earth. One of my top favs.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love books and have a sizable library and I read a lot (20,000+ pages a year), but do use a kindle for certain things and love it. For pleasure reading or things I need to read to be aware of them but don't need/want to add to my library it is great. The e-ink is a little easier on the eyes than ink and paper, and you can't beat the size/weight. Its also great to travel with (I keep a small reference library on it). One caveat, I read fast ant have a habit of reading the last few lines on a page while I turn it, and you can't do that with a kindle, and it slows me down a little.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Love my Kindle! Was like you... liked having the book in my hand ect... now I couldn't think of anything better! Nice cuz there are no bookstores around me... when I run out of book to read in the middle of the night...Voila a new book in 60 seconds. You can even get used on E-bay real cheap!

That is how I am . I downloaded a 99 cent book last night before I got in the bathtub. Can't beat that.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I resisted getting a kindle but I got one for my birthday and I LOVE IT!!

For anyone else who has kindle/nook/ereaders in general, if you like "pixel of ink" on facebook or go to their website www.pixelofink.com it will tell you about books that are free or deeply discounted each day. I have found tons of books that way. LOVE IT!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    to the OP: i love paper books too, turning pages, and collecting them on my shelf as "trophies." both the ones i've read and the ones i just like to buy and haven't read ;)

however, i bought the $79 wifi kindle and I. LOVE. IT. so freaking much. you know how heavy the steig larsson trilogy is in paper, i'm sure. well, on my kindle, it weighs nothing! so i say give love to both e-readers and traditional books :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    No monthly fee. Buy the kindle, then buy the books. You need wifi wherever you are.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I am a book lover and when I got one christmas year before last I was a bit ooooh!!! Thanks!!!! I love to read and I love the feel of a book in my hands. I am totally and utterly coverted its the best present I have ever had. I love that it recommends titles to me based on my tastes and I can search for anything I want to read and read reveiws on it. You can download it in seconds. Mine works off my wifi at home so I just make sure its loaded up before I go anywhere with it.

I heart my kindle very very much xxx
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have read dozens of free books which I wouldnt have come across because of it and there has been some real page turners (button pressed) on there. You get new authors showcasing maybe a new triology series they are releasing and the first e book is free. Its amazing x
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love books too, but they did a great job with the basic Kindle. I was shocked that once I started using it I don't miss the physical book at all. The screen contrast is fantastic (on the classic reader, not the fire) and you never lose your page! BTW, Pillars of the Earth - Fantastic book.
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Kindle is awesome - and you can download books off torrent sites for free as long as they're in MOBI format (no one has said this yet but it's true) and you can also get lots of classics for free. Love the kindle I read so much more now and my shoulder loves it cos it's so light in my handbag. :smile:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Cheapest in the US then in EU, not sure how much but I think the cheapest are under $100.
    The Kindle was one of my best buys for sure. I like you liked my old fashioned books but the Kindle feels so much like a book that is great and currently I have over 100 books on my kindle and it still is the same size, nothing can beat that.
    The charge on it also seems to last forever, I go weeks without charging mine sometimes, which is great, not like a smartphone or something that you need to be constantly charging.
    If you like reading I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.