Peanut Butter

Options
Alrighty... so I am trying to "clean up" my diet and make healthier choices.
I LOVE having peanut butter on hand, even though it's not yet a staple.
The problem, I am used to good ol traditional Jif.... all those weird little extra ingredients tossed in....
So, today I picked up 100% Natural Organic Peanut Butter.... ingredient... Peanuts

So, I get home.... crack that bad boy open and am oozed by the oil... then try to stir the oil in the PB jar... that's not gonna happen.... scrapped ALL the PB out into a bowl with the oil.... stirred and poured BACK into the jar.... licked the knife.... :sick:

There's gotta be a easier and yummier way!
I need the PB to up my protein!

Suggestions.... product info.... something...
HELP!

Replies

• dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You could always make your own.
    I haven't tried it, but, I read somewhere that you put nuts (any kind actually) into a food processor, and process until it's the consistency that you want.
    I've heard that this is also really good with almonds and cashews. I don't have a food processor, or I would have already made it by now :laugh:
    Good luck!
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I've always eaten the natural sugar-free peanut butter (with the only ingredient being peanuts) and I just pour off the layer of oil on the top. Then I stir it up a bit. Don't worry, you don't have to do this every time. Once you get the majority of oil out, the peanut butter doesn't settle again to the point of being oily again.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Try Skippy Natural. It has peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt. Absolutely no hydrogenated oils, and it isn't all oily nor does it require refridgeration. It's pretty close in consistency to your old Jif. My whole family loves it, and I think it really has a more "peanut-y" taste than regular peanut butter. It's not as "pure" as some of the organic peanut butters, but I really just can't stand the texture of any of those... way too goopy and oily for me.
  • kenpachi
    kenpachi Posts: 7
    Options
    +1 Skippy Natural. I can't stand regular peanut butter after eating skippy natural. Need to stir it just a little when first opened. Tastes great.
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You could always make your own.
    I haven't tried it, but, I read somewhere that you put nuts (any kind actually) into a food processor, and process until it's the consistency that you want.
    I've heard that this is also really good with almonds and cashews. I don't have a food processor, or I would have already made it by now :laugh:
    Good luck!

Also, there are some grocery stores where you can get nuts from the bulk section and actually grind them in the store to make your own. I've done this with almonds at Whole Foods.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I wubs me some Smuckers Organic PB.

Of course, I also hate mixing it up. But this is the price to pay for yummy peanutiness!

:flowerforyou:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    put the jar in your cupboard for a while, then the oil goes to the bottom of the jar and it is easier to stir. I have tried pouring the oil off and find it too dry and thick.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    put the jar in the cupboard-- UPSIDEDOWN!
  • pattitricia85
    pattitricia85 Posts: 376
    Options
    natural skippy is really really good! I know its not as good for you as the organic stuff. but i when i eat peanut butter it is usually because i am in a hurry... and don't have time to make my usual lunch... so that means i don't have time to stir the stuff. but natural skippy tastes delicious and no stirring!!
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like Natural Skippy. I try to limit my serving to one tablespoon since the fat content is so high...Those PB that seperate just do not taste as good to me.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You can pour the oil out or try other brands. Natural skippy is good a lot of health food stores have an area where you can grind up peanuts and only buy the amount of peanut butter you need for say a week or so.

If you drain the oil the fat content will go down and you can enjoy a little more PB.
  • healthcounts
    Options
    I love peanut butter more than anything.
    Recently I started eating soynuts with sea salt.
    1 ounce is a perfect snack and it helps my cravings.
    The great thing is soynuts will give you a blast of 11grams
    of pure protein and no stirring needed. I have a 16 ounce of water
    with them with a twist of lemon to jazz it up. Helps alot for me
    hope you do too!
    Calories in 1 ounce soynuts is 130g
    total fat is 5g
    cholesteral free
    Fiber 5g
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    soooooooooooooo, you know I had to go have some peanut butter on whole grain bread, right?:laugh:
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I use Skippy Natural for my kids. But I have personally fallenin love with any peanut butter from Peanut Butter Company and PB Loco. These PB's have no hydrogenated oils, are gluten-free, and use no refined sugar. they use all natural ingredients, too and come in a great variety of flavors. (I love pb and have to eat once a day, hehe!)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    you can leave the jar upside down and the oil will get mixed in. You can also spill the oil out and get your own natural version of low fat peanut butter. The remaining peanut butter will be drier and not very spreadable, but I like it.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Naturally More Peanut Butter. Less fat, more protein than regular PB. You do have to stir it, I store it upside down, then flip and stir after opening. :bigsmile:
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I did eye the Skippy Natural... should of gotten that it.
    I am going to look at the PB & Co and PB Loco though too.
  • larthur
    larthur Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and have tried several different natural brands. My favorite is Maranantha, you'll probably have to get it at a health food store though. It is no stir and only has 4 ingredients, palm oil, peanuts, sea salt and evaporated cane juice. Seriously good stuff!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    the oil will reseparate in lots of natural peanut butters. After stirring the first time, I keep mine in the fridge. I nuke the jar for 10 seconds to soften when I want to use it. I don't use p-nut butter often, so keeing it in the fridge helps to keep it longer w/out going rancid.
  • larthur
    larthur Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter and have tried several different natural brands. My favorite is Maranantha, you'll probably have to get it at a health food store though. It is no stir and only has 4 ingredients, palm oil, peanuts, sea salt and evaporated cane juice. Seriously good stuff!!

Ok, I should check my spelling before I post stuff LOL, it's spelled MaraNatha. It doesn't sperate.