Neightbor Issue!! Input Needed Please!!!

Options

Replies

• lynnmarie60
    Options
    Why don't you go to management and have them put an offical sign up in the laundry simply stating: NO SMOKING
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    This is why apartments have building managers. Take it up with them, they can post the signs, they can also send a notice to all tenants so that everyone is on the same page.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt go to the MGR I would confront them directly. Be nice and polite but firm. State your case to them first.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    Talk to the lanlord or manager. If you are going to do a sign I do not see any need for the long drawn out note over just purchse a NO smoking sign and let your landlord know so he/she can back you on it if it is a problem.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I think this is something you should go to the apartment manager for, instead of taking it into your own hands. Let them hang the signage and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then speak with the offenders directly after that.
    \

this!
  • rcrgirl84
    Options
    I'd talk to the apartment management people - have them handle it. There are more than likely regulations against smoking indoors in public areas and they'll need to enforce it.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I think this is something you should go to the apartment manager for, instead of taking it into your own hands. Let them hang the signage and if that doesn't resolve the issue, then speak with the offenders directly after that.

Some apartments have "regulations" as to where smoking is permited. They could be out of the area and could be fined. I would speak to the managers first. Be fierce and let them know this is a huge issue. (usually if your calm about it nothing changes :( )
  • CHEFCH♥ZZ
    Options
    face to face. notes are snippy even if they arent intended to be.
  • Tskitzo
    Tskitzo Posts: 42
    Options
    Agreed 1000% with everyone who says Do -NOT- hang a sign, do not advertise which apt you're in either. Go talk to the management and see if you can work something out. It's a bad idea to take things into your own hands, especially because you do not know how the people doing the smoking will act back towards you.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I would like to suggest that you do not post such a personal note. Someone that smokes in a laundry room that many people use is probably not going to care about the impact of their smoke.

I would go to the manager.
  • becky2967
    becky2967 Posts: 124
    Options
    i think you should speak to them face to face, then go to the next level. ( here in the uk thats council ) good luck!
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options

I would like to suggest that you do not post such a personal note. Someone that smokes in a laundry room that many people use is probably not going to care about the impact of their smoke.

I would go to the manager.

I agree with these. This something that the manager needs to handle.
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, in this day and age, I would NEVER advise you to confront them directly. It is safer for you and your daughter (avoid retaliation) if you go to the Apt manager!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    definately would not post a sign. If there is no smoking in the building, then go to the manager. If you don't then you are opening yourself up for some hostile treatment (possibly). If smoking is allowed in the building I don't think there is much you can do about stopping them, but you can possibly speak to the manager about ventilation in the building.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, in this day and age, I would NEVER advise you to confront them directly. It is safer for you and your daughter (avoid retaliation) if you go to the Apt manager!

Sound advice.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    you dont now these people, DO NOT contact them directly, you have no idea if they are safe. and DO NOT leave a sign letting them now who you are. ask your front office if they can send someone out to see if they can fix the problem with the ventilation, let them know that you are having issues with the smoke getting into your appartment, dont place blame on anyone. if they say there isnt anything they can do about that, ask if they can put up no smoking signs for those areas- but honestly a sign isnt going to stop anyone. if you continue to have problems with the smoke, ask if you can be relocated.
  • modernsoul
    modernsoul Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My mother manages 32 apartments and from the stories I've heard from her I would not confront the smokers in person or with a note. You're better off letting the manager handle it.
  • emmahaines1
    Options
    if you are going to hang a sign, you could just ask them not to smoke their out of consideration for the other residents, you wont even need to mention your daughter, you could also say that with it being a laundry you don't want your clothes to smell of smoke.

but it is probably best to speak to the management and get them to sort it.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    I wouldn't write the note at all. It puts your daughter in danger, and plus everyone will know who wrote the note which will put both of you in danger. This is something better dealt with by the management. In the state where I live there is a "no smoking" policy everywhere. People have to be 20 feet away from any public building to smoke, and definitly cannot smoke in a laundry room. I suggest you find out what the laws are in your state about smoking. Then mention it to the apartment manager. If they don't stop the smoke, depending on the laws in your state, they will have to move you to another apartment with no problem. Also, many lawyers will give you a FREE consultation. If it comes to that point, get the free consultation and find out what your rights are. Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Face to face is definitely best and I applaud you for attempting to handle it that way but since that hasn't been successful and it would be best to have a solution sooner rather than later... I also agree with going to the landlord and/or property manager. It's their job to address these sorts of situations. If you hang a note saying where you are and who you are, someone may retaliate (had to check the spelling on that one, it looks weird!) and you don't want to deal with that, especially if you plan on living there for a while.