alcohol??

Options
Hey guys! I am going to the lake this friday for memorial wknd with tons of friends like every year. I don't usually drink very often only on occasions like this one. However, I am wondering what is the best alcoholic drink that won't mess up THAT much my diet. People have told me vodka, others say tequila, others say scotch. I'm just confused!! ohh, and I don't drink BEER!! thanksss:)

Replies

• healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    Bud light is my fave, but if you want to go even less calories than that Miller Genuine Draft Light only has 64 calories, and its not bad I actually liked the taste.
    Hope this helps! :)

-Danielle
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    Never mind, i just saw that you don't drink beer. Um, pretty much anything you listed, vodka and all that is fine. It has next to nothing calories. Beer is what gets you because you drink 6 beers thats 600 calories.

-Danielle
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks!! i think i am sticking to vodka this weekend:)
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    I am doing the same thing!!! To be completely honest, I'm not going to worry about it. I haven't had a drink in over 6 months, and it's about time for me to let loose! :laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    I know I should care, but I do mix my drinks with Diet Caffine free soda. Due to my now low tolerance, I've decided I won't be able to drink enough to make that much of a difference! :laugh: :laugh: My problem will be Pizza Corner Pizza's that my granny sells in the bar back home! :noway:

Have a great weekend, drink LOTS of water to compensate for the alcohol and hit it hard after the holiday. Cheers!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • AshliColon
    AshliColon Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1 oz of vodka, tequila and scotch has roughly 70 calories, Captain Morgan Spiced Rum has 75 cals for 1.25 oz.

Drink sparingly and with diet/calorie free mixer!

Have a great weekend!

--ash :flowerforyou:
  • Snunu
    Snunu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,

What about to skip drinking at all in order not to feel yourself guilty after?? In any case, drinking doesn't bring you much pleasure except extra calories on your body.. And gathering with friends is much enjoyable that does it? So why to think about alcohol at all?

Sorry, might i don't get something.. Anyhow, my advice is just switch alcohol to pleasant conversations with some more healthy drinks.. Enjoy your time!
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    The way to go is Bloody Marys! The mix is super low cal and somewhat "healthy". Or you can try vodka w/ Light cranberry juice, or a rum w/ diet Dr. Pepper, or diet coke (for more flavor, try diet cherry coke, or vanilla, lemon, and so on...I also throw in a lemon slice for fun !)
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    Looking for answers on the internet, I found this.... Here is a quick run down!:happy:

Vodka & diet coke (175ml): 56 cals
    Gin & tonic (single): 56 cals
    Low alcohol lager (pint): 57 cals
    Vodka & tonic (175ml): 58 cals
    Vodka sugar free red bull (1/2 can) (150ml): 59 cals
    Bacardi rum & diet coke (single): 65 cals
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, I can't say that there is ANY alcoholic beverage that will be OK with a diet, but if you're going to do it (and believe me, I don't think having a drink once in a while is a bad thing), then the MOST important thing is not to graze while you do it. EAT well before you drink, like 2 or 3 hours before, and if possible, get in a light workout before you drink as well.

Why? you may ask. Because, alcohol is absorbed very quickly by the body, before it even reaches the stomach, and it supplants all other calories that have yet to be used (well, not ALL but most at least). What does this do? It means that any calories you have or consume before or during your drinking is immediately put on the back burner for priority of use for energy. And when this happens, the body stores these calories as fat instead of burning them.

The only good thing is that because alcohol is metabolized so fast, as long as you don't overwhelm the system (become drunk) the alcohol is usually gone relatively quickly (within an hour or two usually). So eat BEFORE these events, and try not to eat during them, if they are a long event, then try to go protein heavy, and fiber heavy (meat and fibrous veggies like peas, sweet potato, peppers) that'll keep you full without giving you tons of carbohydrates (or the carbs are locked up in fiber that makes it take longer to digest).

as to what drinks to have, yeah, any of the distilled spirits are usually better, vodka, rum, gin ... just make sure the mixer they use isn't high in sugar, that's a killer (I.E. NO pina colatas, NO Margaritas, no Daiquiris, these all contain monstrous amounts of sugar). Some times they have sugar free versions of these drinks, that's usually a much better option.

here's a cool site that lists the top five best and worst mixed drinks

http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/liquor.html
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    thank u everyone!!:)
  • markxster
    markxster Posts: 19
    Options
    I know a little something about drinking...and I am not too proud of it, but due to my cultural exchanges with our friends across the pond (the Russians), I have found what worked well for me:

- For every 1 drink of alcohol, drink 2-3 cups of water.
    - Don't worry about the calories for one night of drinking. Yes, if you have a weigh-in in a few days, then it might be a better idea not to drink. I personally do not, but if you would like to, then focus on keeping your body hydrated so that the next day will not be such a PAIN! Don't expect to workout when you are suffering from a hang-over. Alcohol and soft drinks will change your body's biochemistry; ie PH levels in your body, disrupting your body's ability to burn fat and be efficient in its mass-to-energy conversion. To put in into other words, its like sticking E-60 fuel in your sports car when it should be E-92 or higher! You can improve your chances of not having any negative consequencies with chasing your drinks with lots of water. :drinker: